Permission to play promos

  • Ivy Reisner
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12 7:41 AM
      Hi,

      One more question. What's the etiquette of playing
      someone else's promo? I have a writing podcast called
      The WritingCast (simple MP3, so no technical issues
      there). Part 2 of the show is the main topic and part
      3 is a writing prompt, but I feel like I need
      something to separate the two.

      So how do I go about this? Do I e-mail the person
      whose promo I want to use and ask permission? Are
      promos by their nature considered open game, play them
      whenever you want? What would be the polite thing to
      do?

      Thanks for the info.

      Yours,
      Ivy
    • Variant Frequencies Podcast
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 12 7:51 AM
        Ivy, most podcasters are going to be thrilled to have you run their promo. I
        like to let the podcasters know that I¹ve run theirs. Then maybe they will
        be willing to run mine.

        Rick
        ____
        Parsec Award Winner ­ 2006
        Best Fiction Story ­ Short

        Variant Frequencies Podcast
        http://www.variantfrequencies.com

        The Failed Cities Monologues
        http://www.podiobooks.com/title/the-failed-cities-monologues/

        On 7/12/07 10:41 AM, "Ivy Reisner" <ivy@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > One more question. What's the etiquette of playing
        > someone else's promo? I have a writing podcast called
        > The WritingCast (simple MP3, so no technical issues
        > there). Part 2 of the show is the main topic and part
        > 3 is a writing prompt, but I feel like I need
        > something to separate the two.
        >
        > So how do I go about this? Do I e-mail the person
        > whose promo I want to use and ask permission? Are
        > promos by their nature considered open game, play them
        > whenever you want? What would be the polite thing to
        > do?
        >
        > Thanks for the info.
        >
        > Yours,
        > Ivy

      • Paul McElligott
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12 7:54 AM
          If someone has put their promo out there, I think permission is more
          or less implied. It would be considerate to inform them that you
          playing it.

          --
          Paul McElligott
          CelluloidHeroReviews.com

          "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other human
          invention in human history ... with the possible exception of handguns
          and tequila."
        • Don Dehm
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 12 8:59 AM
            If someone had a promo and didn't want it played without permission, I would
            have some concern for their state of mind.

            --
            Don A. Dehm
            Pulp Gamer: The Paper Game Podshow - 581 W 4th St. #91, Benson, AZ 85602