Re: [podcasters] Press passes

  • Martin McKeay
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2007
      My situation's a little different from most bloggers/podcasters in that I
      also write for an online magazine, but I've had no problems getting a press
      pass on my blogging credentials alone. In fact, I applied for press passes
      to two events just this morning, Linux World and VMworld.

      One thing I'd suggest is having a good idea of who your audience is, because
      they'll ask. The first question will probably be how many listeners/readers
      you have, but from there they'll ask what kind of people you appeal to. I'm
      going to security and computer technology events, so that may not be
      something you'll have to worry about, but its good information to have no
      matter what. Linux World stated on their site that they'd grant press
      passes to bloggers, but the blog had to be linux related and had to have a
      monthly readership of more than 1000/month.

      I'd strongly encourage bloggers and podcasters to apply for press passes.
      You might not get them, but given that the cost of some events can be in the
      thousands (again, I'm talking about computer/tech), it's worth taking the
      time to ask. The worst that could happen is that they say 'No' and you have
      to pay for your ticket.

      By the way, if you are going to some of the bigger tech events, make sure
      that you go to the press room. Vendors put a lot of tchotchkies in the
      press room, hoping to get good reviews because of it.

      Martin

      On 7/9/07, Vegas Tourist <the_vegastourist@...> wrote:

      > A lot of the media contacts are getting wiser to podcasts and wanting to
      > be a parrt of it.
      > We get in to a lot of events and even are allowed to do interviews.
      >
      > We come with a entourage. Host, co-host and a photograpgher.
      > As stated earlier: be professional and let them know why you
      > want to go there. What is your audience is and how they would
      > be promoted.
      >
      > Mark Anthony
      > Host of The Vegas Tourist
      > http://thevegastourist.com