Re: [podcasters] 2007 Podcast Awards Start July 1st

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2007
      On 6/19/07, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:

      > Just curious Steve,
      >
      > How would you do it? Or what would your suggestions be on making it less of
      > a podsturbation fest?

      Well, I probably wouldn't, since I don't put a lot of stock into
      awards in the first place, but since you asked:

      At the very least, voters should only need to vote once. I know that
      reduces ad impressions, but asking listeners to go back to the same
      site every day for two weeks is too onerous. There's nothing in it
      for the listener, and the awards are too likely to go to the podcasts
      with the biggest audience who campaign most obnoxiously.

      All awards are either popularity contests or political, but if awards
      are going to happen, I'm a bigger fan of awards where the voting
      population is limited in some way. The Podcast Peer Awards is a fine
      idea, although I think it's implemented in a somewhat clumsy way and
      the community's a bit too inwardly focused. The Parsec Awards (for
      science fiction podcasts) is even better: nominations are public, but
      the winners are chosen by a jury of professionals in SF and sound that
      aren't involved with the podcast community.

      All this is not to denigrate Todd for his efforts. I know he believes
      strongly in what he's doing here, and his personal benefit is likely
      slim to moderate compared to the amount of work going into this. Last
      year I actually put some effort into slamming the awards with a
      'protest' promo; that was naïve and immature. I won't be doing
      anything like that this year. I just don't think the awards are
      structured to select the best podcasts.

      http://www.escapepod.org