Re: How am I doing (or: is this normal)?

  • Kevin Colligan
    Message 1 of 19 , May 29, 2007
      Hi there,

      This feedburner.com top 100 list is far from comprehensive, but it
      will give you a good ballpark idea of how many (feedburner-only)
      subscribers some of the big boys have:

      http://www.podfeed.net/feedburner_rankings.asp

      Ask a Ninja leading the way with 87K.

      Good luck,
      Kevin

      …………………………………………………………

      Well Told Tales
      pulp-fiction podcast

      http://WellToldTales.com

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mbritt1216" <michael.britt@...> wrote:

      > I like a couple of the ideas I'm hearing here. Steve's idea: having
      > someone I know post a comment or send in a question and then I read it
      > on the air is a good one. I gotta do that. I remember years ago when
      > I was working part time at a front desk in a health club someone came
      > up and asked if he could use the phone. He explained when he got off
      > the call that he worked at a radio station and someone from the
      > station asked him earlier that afternoon if he would call into his
      > radio talk show later that day. So, he called in and asked a question
      > to sort of get things rolling. Good idea.
      >
      > I like the idea of giving stuff away. Maybe I'll give away one of
      > those Freud action figures I've seen. I mean, who wouldn't want one
      > of those? ;)
      >
      > Again thanks - o yes, I havent' seen anyone respond to my question
      > about how you can find out how popular other podcasts are. I mean,
      > just how many subscribers does, say, TWIT have? Just curious.
      >
      > Michael
      >
      > Michael Britt
      > michael.britt@...
      >
      > The Psych Files
      > Psychological theory in everyday life.
      > http://www.thepsychfiles.com
      >

      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mbritt1216" <michael.britt@>

      > another
      > >
      > > ====
      > >
      > > It's cool.
      > > Like the man said, If you could have 90 people show up in a room once
      > > a week and listen to what you have to say, you'd keep doing it,
      right?

      > > As for lack of feedback, you know...how often have you called a radio
      > > show you like? Or sent a fan letter to a musician you like? I have,
      > > but not often. I think like one in a hundred people do, maybe less. A
      > > lot of people would never think to, even if they like something.
      > > Others would think to, but would be intimidated.
      > >
      > > One thing we do to encourage feedback is give stuff away to people who
      > > write....have little fun easy contests, send the winner a book, a CD,
      > > stuff like that. Also, we read (with permission) the better e-mails on
      > > the show, is fun, and also encourages people to write in.
      > >

      > > --MWD
      > > "SUBMISSION AND COFFEE WITH DOLLIE LLAMA" (free BDSM podcast. No iPod
      > > needed):
      > > http://www.askdollie.com
      > >
      > > "Clone The Homeless"
      > > Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
      > > was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
      > > http://www.clonethehomeless.com

    • Kevin Bachelder
      Message 2 of 19 , May 30, 2007
        Hey Michael,

        I think an important question to ask is "Are the number of subscribers
        important to you?"

        The podcasters I know are successful because they enjoy doing this
        regardless of how many subscribers they have. Sure it's a nice ego
        stroke to think that you're popular enough to have thousands of
        listeners but if you're doing this for the enjoyment and other people
        are sharing in that experience then I think you've got a win/win.

        When it comes to getting feedback (emails, voicemails, forum postings,
        etc.) from your listeners my experience has been the same as others
        have already mentioned. Even if your audience is enjoying your
        podcast you'll only hear from a very small percentage of your
        listenership. It's just the way it is.

        Good luck,

        Kevin

        --
        If you're a fan of Farscape or Firefly then you'll enjoy listening to
        the award winning podcasts...

        The ScapeCast
        http://www.scapecast.org

        The Signal
        http://www.serenityfirefly.com

        Firefly Talk
        http://www.fireflytalk.com

        On 5/28/07, mbritt1216 <michael.britt@...> wrote:
        > Maybe I just need a little moral support here, but after about 5
        > months of podcasting I'm finding it hard to figure out, you know,
        > whether or not people "like me". I'm just not getting much feedback
        > from listeners regarding what they like/don't like, etc.
        >
        > As I say I've been podcasting for about 5 months and I've got 15
        > episodes up and I have about 90 subscribers. According to Libsyn
        > stats, most of my episodes have been downloaded in one way or another
        > about 180 times. Is this good, pathetic, normal?
        >
        > What's tough is this: In 5 months I've only gotten 2 comments on the
        > blog (positive comments, but still only 2). No comments or votes or
        > anything in podcast pickle or podcast alley or on iTunes. I watch my
        > stats on Feedburner (I check every day - too often?) and they've gone
        > slowly but steadily up, but sometimes they'll got up by say 8
        > subscribers, then the next day the number will be down by, say, 6
        > subscribers. Why did they stop subscribing? Is the podcast too dull?
        > Not what they were expecting? Wanted a little more of this and a
        > little less of that? Without comments or emails, I have no way of
        > knowing.
        >
        > I have to admit that I don't often email or comment on the podcasts I
        > listen to - I just stay subscribed. So maybe a lack of comments is not
        > a bad thing. I don't know, I'm still trying to figure this all out.
        > Any advice (encouragement) out there? I could sure use it.
        >
        > Michael
        >
        > Michael Britt
        > michael.britt@...
        >
        > The Psych Files
        > Psychological theory in everyday life.
        > http://www.thepsychfiles.com

      • mbritt1216
        Message 3 of 19 , May 31, 2007
          You make a good point. I do this, after all, because I enjoy it so
          I'm not looking for a huge audience. I suppose it's the lack of
          feedback that makes it feel a little lonely out here sometimes ya
          know. But the feedback I've gotten from this group has been great.
          Thanks all! I shall salley forth.

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Bachelder" <kbachelder@...>
          wrote:

          > Hey Michael,
          >
          > I think an important question to ask is "Are the number of subscribers
          > important to you?"
          >
          > The podcasters I know are successful because they enjoy doing this
          > regardless of how many subscribers they have. Sure it's a nice ego
          > stroke to think that you're popular enough to have thousands of
          > listeners but if you're doing this for the enjoyment and other people
          > are sharing in that experience then I think you've got a win/win.
          >
          > When it comes to getting feedback (emails, voicemails, forum postings,
          > etc.) from your listeners my experience has been the same as others
          > have already mentioned. Even if your audience is enjoying your
          > podcast you'll only hear from a very small percentage of your
          > listenership. It's just the way it is.
          >

          > Good luck,
          >
          > Kevin
          >
          > --
          > If you're a fan of Farscape or Firefly then you'll enjoy listening to
          > the award winning podcasts...
          >
          > The ScapeCast
          > http://www.scapecast.org
          >
          > The Signal
          > http://www.serenityfirefly.com
          >
          > Firefly Talk
          > http://www.fireflytalk.com
          >

          > On 5/28/07, mbritt1216 <michael.britt@...> wrote:
          > > Maybe I just need a little moral support here, but after about 5
          > > months of podcasting I'm finding it hard to figure out, you know,
          > > whether or not people "like me". I'm just not getting much feedback
          > > from listeners regarding what they like/don't like, etc.
          > >
          > > As I say I've been podcasting for about 5 months and I've got 15
          > > episodes up and I have about 90 subscribers. According to Libsyn
          > > stats, most of my episodes have been downloaded in one way or another
          > > about 180 times. Is this good, pathetic, normal?
          > >
          > > What's tough is this: In 5 months I've only gotten 2 comments on the
          > > blog (positive comments, but still only 2). No comments or votes or
          > > anything in podcast pickle or podcast alley or on iTunes. I watch my
          > > stats on Feedburner (I check every day - too often?) and they've gone
          > > slowly but steadily up, but sometimes they'll got up by say 8
          > > subscribers, then the next day the number will be down by, say, 6
          > > subscribers. Why did they stop subscribing? Is the podcast too dull?
          > > Not what they were expecting? Wanted a little more of this and a
          > > little less of that? Without comments or emails, I have no way of
          > > knowing.
          > >
          > > I have to admit that I don't often email or comment on the podcasts I
          > > listen to - I just stay subscribed. So maybe a lack of comments is not
          > > a bad thing. I don't know, I'm still trying to figure this all out.
          > > Any advice (encouragement) out there? I could sure use it.
          > >
          > > Michael
          > >
          > > Michael Britt
          > > michael.britt@...
          > >
          > > The Psych Files
          > > Psychological theory in everyday life.
          > > http://www.thepsychfiles.com

        • Shawn Thorpe
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 6, 2007
            On 5/28/07, mbritt1216 <michael.britt@...> wrote:

            > Maybe I just need a little moral support here, but after about 5
            > months of podcasting I'm finding it hard to figure out, you know,
            > whether or not people "like me". I'm just not getting much feedback
            > from listeners regarding what they like/don't like, etc.
            >
            > As I say I've been podcasting for about 5 months and I've got 15
            > episodes up and I have about 90 subscribers. According to Libsyn
            > stats, most of my episodes have been downloaded in one way or another
            > about 180 times. Is this good, pathetic, normal?
            >
            > What's tough is this: In 5 months I've only gotten 2 comments on the
            > blog (positive comments, but still only 2). No comments or votes or
            > anything in podcast pickle or podcast alley or on iTunes. I watch my
            > stats on Feedburner (I check every day - too often?) and they've gone
            > slowly but steadily up, but sometimes they'll got up by say 8
            > subscribers, then the next day the number will be down by, say, 6
            > subscribers. Why did they stop subscribing? Is the podcast too dull?
            > Not what they were expecting? Wanted a little more of this and a
            > little less of that? Without comments or emails, I have no way of
            > knowing.
            >
            > I have to admit that I don't often email or comment on the podcasts I
            > listen to - I just stay subscribed. So maybe a lack of comments is not
            > a bad thing. I don't know, I'm still trying to figure this all out.
            > Any advice (encouragement) out there? I could sure use it.
            >
            > Michael
            >
            > Michael Britt
            > michael.britt@... <michael.britt%40thepsychfiles.com>
            >
            > The Psych Files
            > Psychological theory in everyday life.
            > http://www.thepsychfiles.com
            >

            > .

            My podcast is almost a year old. And I've got more episodes at this point
            than regular listeners. (I'd be pretty happy if I had 90 subscribers!)
            It's only been very recently that I've started to get regular feedback, and
            it's usually from the same small group of listeners who comment on every
            episode. I don't think there's any forumula to "getting more feedback."
            Best advice is, encourage your listenrs to interact with you. Maybe they
            will. And don't worry about your listeners "liking you." They wouldn't
            take the time to listen if they didn't!

            --
            -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
            Hyper Nonsense - Talk, comedy, music and more!

            Shawnogram - Content = life.
            http://www.shawnogram.com/

            Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
            http://www.phantompower.org/