text to speech

  • MissPeter
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2007
      Can anyone help me with a text to speech program? I need the specific
      the ability to generate an audio file without human interaction.
      Something with an API or something that I can send a string to and
      have it spit out an audio file in mp3 format or something I can
      convert to mp3. Open source or free would be wonderful.

      I am working on a system for someone where they want the ability to
      upload audio files to a website and have automatic podcasts generated
      nightly. The audio I am trying to generate will be read from the ID3
      tags and will serve as an intro to each audio clip. This is for an
      academic institution so quality isn't that important as long as it's
      at least understandable. I have everything I need to grab the files
      and read the tags and splice everythign together but the only part I
      missing is something to turn the text into audio.

      Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

      miss peter
      --

      http://www.musicNerve.com - strange music for strange people

      http://digg.com/podcasts/musicNerve_com_strange_music_for_strange_people
    • J Wynia
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2007
        If you're looking at a lower level than a "product" (you mentioned API,
        so I figured you might be), you can take a look at a few articles with
        sample code that I've written. They cover using the Microsoft
        Text-to-Speech API's from .NET or PHP to do text to audio file output. I
        also did something recently on reading and manipulating ID3 tags in
        C#/.NET. All of my code is free to do whatever you want with it. If you
        need a more formal license, all of my pages with the sample code have
        the license metadata tagging them as Creative Commons Attribution.

        Also note that for about $30, you can pick up one of the Cepstral voices
        for the engine that sound about 1000x better than the default voices.
        However, the licensing of those can be weird if you're doing distribution.

        http://www.wynia.org/wordpress/2005/06/03/jscriptnet-text-to-speech-tts/
        http://www.wynia.org/wordpress/2005/06/03/php-and-tts/
        http://www.wynia.org/wordpress/2005/09/08/make-your-own-audiobook-podcast-with-text-to-speech/
        http://www.wynia.org/wordpress/2007/04/11/renaming-mp3-files-according-to-id3-tags-with-c/
        http://www.wynia.org/wordpress/2006/02/20/making-mp3-playlists-with-php/

        MissPeter wrote:

        > Can anyone help me with a text to speech program? I need the specific
        > the ability to generate an audio file without human interaction.
        > Something with an API or something that I can send a string to and
        > have it spit out an audio file in mp3 format or something I can
        > convert to mp3. Open source or free would be wonderful.
        >
        > I am working on a system for someone where they want the ability to
        > upload audio files to a website and have automatic podcasts generated
        > nightly. The audio I am trying to generate will be read from the ID3
        > tags and will serve as an intro to each audio clip. This is for an
        > academic institution so quality isn't that important as long as it's
        > at least understandable. I have everything I need to grab the files
        > and read the tags and splice everythign together but the only part I
        > missing is something to turn the text into audio.
        >
        > Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

        --
        J Wynia
        The Glass is Too Big
        Email: j@...
        Skype: jwynia
        Site: http://www.wynia.org
        Podcast: http://www.glasstoobig.com
      • Kevin Bachelder
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2007
          Not sure if it's a match to your specific situation but you might want
          to check out the services from Talkr (http://www.talkr.com).

          Kevin

          --
          If you're a fan of Farscape or Firefly then you'll enjoy listening to
          the award winning podcasts...

          The ScapeCast
          http://www.scapecast.org

          The Signal
          http://www.serenityfirefly.com

          Firefly Talk
          http://www.fireflytalk.com

          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2007
            On 5/2/07, J Wynia <j@...> wrote:
            > If you're looking at a lower level than a "product" (you mentioned API,
            > so I figured you might be), you can take a look at a few articles with
            > sample code that I've written. They cover using the Microsoft
            > Text-to-Speech API's from .NET or PHP to do text to audio file output. I
            > also did something recently on reading and manipulating ID3 tags in
            > C#/.NET. All of my code is free to do whatever you want with it. If you
            > need a more formal license, all of my pages with the sample code have
            > the license metadata tagging them as Creative Commons Attribution.

            Thanks J! This is awesome. Everything will be deployed to a Linux
            server but I think I can grab a Windows box to do the processing and
            then upload the finished files. I'm assuming that the MS DLL would
            only be available on a Windows machine?

            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2007
              MissPeter wrote:

              > Thanks J! This is awesome. Everything will be deployed to a Linux
              > server but I think I can grab a Windows box to do the processing and
              > then upload the finished files. I'm assuming that the MS DLL would
              > only be available on a Windows machine?

              Yeah. That particular speech API requires Windows. Personally, I'd look
              at running VMWare or something similar on Linux with Windows as a
              virtual guest OS for the purpose and shut it down when it's not needed.
              I know VMWare provides scripting wrappers for launching and shutting
              virtual machines down programatically. That is, unless you've got extra
              Windows machines to throw at the problem.

              --
              J Wynia
              The Glass is Too Big
              Email: j@...
              Skype: jwynia
              Site: http://www.wynia.org
              Podcast: http://www.glasstoobig.com
            • tom_a_sparks
              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2007
                or you can use http://www.odiogo.com
                100 time better than talkr (no flame war please)

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Bachelder" <kbachelder@...>
                wrote:

                > Not sure if it's a match to your specific situation but you might want
                > to check out the services from Talkr (http://www.talkr.com).
                >

                > Kevin
                >
                > --
                > If you're a fan of Farscape or Firefly then you'll enjoy listening to
                > the award winning podcasts...
                >
                > The ScapeCast
                > http://www.scapecast.org
                >
                > The Signal
                > http://www.serenityfirefly.com
                >
                > Firefly Talk
                > http://www.fireflytalk.com
                >

                > On 5/2/07, MissPeter <peter@...> wrote:
                > > Can anyone help me with a text to speech program? I need the specific
                > > the ability to generate an audio file without human interaction.
                > > Something with an API or something that I can send a string to and
                > > have it spit out an audio file in mp3 format or something I can
                > > convert to mp3. Open source or free would be wonderful.
                > >
                > > I am working on a system for someone where they want the ability to
                > > upload audio files to a website and have automatic podcasts generated
                > > nightly. The audio I am trying to generate will be read from the ID3
                > > tags and will serve as an intro to each audio clip. This is for an
                > > academic institution so quality isn't that important as long as it's
                > > at least understandable. I have everything I need to grab the files
                > > and read the tags and splice everythign together but the only part I
                > > missing is something to turn the text into audio.
                > >
                > > Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
                > >
                > > miss peter
                > > --
                > >
                > > http://www.musicNerve.com - strange music for strange people

                http://digg.com/podcasts/musicNerve_com_strange_music_for_strange_people

              • Rob Schendel
                Message 7 of 8 , May 2, 2007
                  What is the charge to use Odiogo? I can't find a price on their site.

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 3, 2007
                    no no no and it may be able to generate advertising revenues.
                    "
                    Does it cost me money to use Odiogo?
                    The Odiogo system is mostly funded by advertising, but there may be
                    some set-up and usage fees. You can find more information in the
                    Mainstream Media and Bloggers pages.
                    " -http://www.odiogo.com/faq_content_providers.php
                    "
                    Does Odiogo cost money to the end-user?
                    No. Odiogo and the affiliated Content Provider are compensated by
                    sponsorship and advertising.
                    " - http://www.odiogo.com/faq_end_users.php
                    "
                    You said Free?
                    Not only is Odiogo free, it may be able to generate advertising
                    revenues. Once your listenership reaches a significant level, you may
                    qualify for a share of ad income! More technical details about the
                    solution can be found here and in our FAQ. So what are you waiting
                    for? Give your blog voice, and legs, now!
                    " - http://www.odiogo.com/faq_content_providers.php

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Schendel"