Re: [podcasters] I lost my K7 VM Line... how do I get it back?

  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2007
      On 5/1/07, Mike <koldark@...> wrote:
      > I have spent money to get it in a voice-over and now I lost the fraking #
      > due to inactivity. Any suggestions on how to get the number back?

      There is no way to get the number back. Call it -- someone else has
      probably already been assigned it.

      > screwed? The next question, is there a better solution that is free and we
      > don't loose after 30 days?

      K7 is still an excellent solution. Get a new number, and here's what you do:

      Mark off every 29 days on your calendar.

      On the 29th day...

      call the number!

      A llittle once-a-month, three minute work on your part, and your free
      number will stay active no matter how many other people call or don't
      call.

      --
      Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Consultant, Podcaster, Author
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2007
        I recently decided to get a K7, and I ended up just repeating it until
        I got a number that was decent, which is 206 DEVICE 3. I had to go
        through about 8 numbers so I will be sure to call it often to make
        sure the number is retained.

        --
        Dwight Wallbridge,
        Blogger, Photographer, Geek

        The Geek's Blog http://www.thegeeksblog.com/
        Dwight Wallbridge Photography http://www.dwightwallbridge.com/Photo/
        All Things Azeroth http://www.allthingsazeroth.com/

        On 5/2/07, Matthew Wayne Selznick <mwselznick@...> wrote:

        > On 5/1/07, Mike <koldark@...> wrote:
        > > I have spent money to get it in a voice-over and now I lost the fraking #
        > > due to inactivity. Any suggestions on how to get the number back?
        >
        > There is no way to get the number back. Call it -- someone else has
        > probably already been assigned it.
        >
        > > screwed? The next question, is there a better solution that is free and we
        > > don't loose after 30 days?
        >
        > K7 is still an excellent solution. Get a new number, and here's what you do:
        >
        > Mark off every 29 days on your calendar.
        >
        > On the 29th day...
        >
        > call the number!
        >
        > A llittle once-a-month, three minute work on your part, and your free
        > number will stay active no matter how many other people call or don't
        > call.
        >
        > --
        > Matthew Wayne Selznick
        > Consultant, Podcaster, Author
        > ************************************
        > http://www.mattselznick.com
        > http://www.mwsmedia.com
        > http://www.bravemenrun.com
        > http://www.writerstalking.com
        > http://www.fiveminutememoir.com
        > http://www.diyendeavors.org
        > http://www.pilgrimagenovel.com
        > http://www.wordhouseanthology.com
        > http://www.daikaijuuniverse.com
        > http://www.podiobooks.com
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2007
          What is your experience with Skype VM from a land line? How good is it? I am
          pondering just using Skype.

          On 5/2/07, Matthew Wayne Selznick <mwselznick@...> wrote:

          > On 5/1/07, Mike <koldark@...> wrote:
          > > I have spent money to get it in a voice-over and now I lost the fraking
          > #
          > > due to inactivity. Any suggestions on how to get the number back?
          >
          > There is no way to get the number back. Call it -- someone else has
          > probably already been assigned it.
          >
          > > screwed? The next question, is there a better solution that is free and
          > we
          > > don't loose after 30 days?
          >
          > K7 is still an excellent solution. Get a new number, and here's what you
          > do:
          >
          > Mark off every 29 days on your calendar.
          >
          > On the 29th day...
          >
          > call the number!
          >
          > A llittle once-a-month, three minute work on your part, and your free
          > number will stay active no matter how many other people call or don't
          > call.
          >
          > --
          > Matthew Wayne Selznick
          > Consultant, Podcaster, Author
          > ************************************
          > http://www.mattselznick.com
          > http://www.mwsmedia.com
          > http://www.bravemenrun.com
          > http://www.writerstalking.com
          > http://www.fiveminutememoir.com
          > http://www.diyendeavors.org
          > http://www.pilgrimagenovel.com
          > http://www.wordhouseanthology.com
          > http://www.daikaijuuniverse.com
          > http://www.podiobooks.com

          Mike Wills
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikewills
          Blog - http://mikewills.name
          Podcasts - http://podcastmike.com

        • Rob Schendel
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2007
            The questiion reminded me to check how long it has been since my last call
            to my K7 number. Ooops, I forgot, but the gods were smiling on me when the
            number received a wrong number. The recording was nothing but 10 seconds of
            silence, and then the 'hang up' sound, but it was enough to keep my account
            active!
            I've never before been happy to have received a wrong number!

            Rob
            www.twitter.com/robschendel <htwww.twitter.com/robschendeltp://>

            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2007
              On 5/2/07, Mike <koldark@...> wrote:
              > I have spent money to get it in a voice-over and now I lost the fraking #
              > due to inactivity. Any suggestions on how to get the number back? Or am I
              > screwed? The next question, is there a better solution that is free and we
              > don't loose after 30 days?

              Not intending to be crass, but... If no one's calling the voicemail
              line month after month, what's it for?

              http://www.escapepod.org
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2007
                I am just getting my show going and am hoping to get more user interaction.

                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2007
                  Exactly, Mike. Once things get rolling with regular episodes, I expect some
                  input from the listeners, through this line.
                  The line needs to have one message (or fax) every 30 days to remain active.

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2007
                    On 5/2/07, Mike <koldark@...> wrote:
                    > I am just getting my show going and am hoping to get more user interaction.

                    Very few podcasts do well with voicemail. Michael & Evo (who had to
                    split the Wingin' It voicemail into its own show) are the only real
                    success story I can think of. I rarely get voicemail on mine, and
                    it's usually the same one or two people.

                    If voice feedback is something you'd like to build up, work at it.
                    Seed the pot -- get some folks you already know to leave comments.
                    And when you play them, be more creative then "Here's another
                    comment...[play]...and thanks." Converse with your listeners. Find
                    themes (book or movie reviews, etc.) Ask pointed questions and invite
                    answers to those specific questions. (E.g., the Five Questions
                    podcast.) Touch off some controversy, and let people respond to it.
                    (Look how much voicemail Rob Walch has gotten just from his "I hate
                    pre-roll ads" soapbox alone.)

                    Don't expect it to happen automatically just because you have a phone
                    line. Your audience isn't entertained by your phone line. They're
                    entertained by you. And they'll only build a community if you put
                    your own energy into showing people how cool it can be.

                    And if it doesn't work? ...Unless your show is *about* the voicemail,
                    who cares? Do other things instead, and let the K7 line lapse if
                    nobody's using it. Calling it once a month just to keep a dead horse
                    alive does not sound like a favor for the horse.

                    http://www.escapepod.org
                  • Jesse Thorn
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2, 2007
                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

                      > On 5/2/07, Mike <koldark@...> wrote:
                      > > I am just getting my show going and am hoping to get more user
                      interaction.

                      > Very few podcasts do well with voicemail.

                      I found this to be the case when I didn't have an "interactive" show.
                      The Sound of Young America, like Escape Pod, generates about one
                      voicemail a week.

                      That said -- one of my other shows, Jordan, Jesse GO! (which is not
                      unlike Evo & Michael's chat show) gets about 20 voicemails a week. We
                      found that the key was engaging people directly -- what do you think
                      of this? What would you do about that?

                      Of course, that show gets a few thousand downloads a week -- it might
                      be tougher if you have a smaller audience.

                      Jesse
                      http://www.maximumfun.org
                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 2, 2007
                        I do have a plan for specific types of feedback. I did the whole open line
                        thing which utterly failed and I understand why. Now, I am hoping the
                        listeners give me some funny stories or rants that they need to get off
                        their chest and I make it a part of the show and not just a passing "Here's
                        another voicemail..." I listen to Slice of SciFi, Technorama, and Wingin' It
                        and have learned from "The Masters". I just haven't had the time to fully
                        engage my master plan yet with only 2 episodes of this show under my belt.
                        The first was more of an intro and the second was a special.

                        > On 5/2/07, Mike <koldark@...> wrote:
                        > > I am just getting my show going and am hoping to get more user
                        > interaction.
                        >
                        > Very few podcasts do well with voicemail. Michael & Evo (who had to
                        > split the Wingin' It voicemail into its own show) are the only real
                        > success story I can think of. I rarely get voicemail on mine, and
                        > it's usually the same one or two people.
                        >
                        > If voice feedback is something you'd like to build up, work at it.
                        > Seed the pot -- get some folks you already know to leave comments.
                        > And when you play them, be more creative then "Here's another
                        > comment...[play]...and thanks." Converse with your listeners. Find
                        > themes (book or movie reviews, etc.) Ask pointed questions and invite
                        > answers to those specific questions. (E.g., the Five Questions
                        > podcast.) Touch off some controversy, and let people respond to it.
                        > (Look how much voicemail Rob Walch has gotten just from his "I hate
                        > pre-roll ads" soapbox alone.)
                        >
                        > Don't expect it to happen automatically just because you have a phone
                        > line. Your audience isn't entertained by your phone line. They're
                        > entertained by you. And they'll only build a community if you put
                        > your own energy into showing people how cool it can be.
                        >
                        > And if it doesn't work? ...Unless your show is *about* the voicemail,
                        > who cares? Do other things instead, and let the K7 line lapse if
                        > nobody's using it. Calling it once a month just to keep a dead horse
                        > alive does not sound like a favor for the horse.
                        >

                        > --
                        > Have Fun,
                        > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
                        > http://www.escapepod.org

                        Mike Wills
                        http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikewills
                        Blog - http://mikewills.name
                        Podcasts - http://podcastmike.com

                      • David Jackson
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 3, 2007
                          I use Kall8 ( www.trykall8.com )which is the 800 number version of this service. It costs 2 bucks plus 6 cents a minute. My bill is always really low and I never have to worry about losing my number. I wish the audio was better since I'm paying for it, but its that same lovely fidelity . It also has some nice functions in the event you want to do more than receive voicemail (you can forward it to a phone, capture the caller ID, etc).

                          P.S. Is anybody looking for a roommate at the expo this year?

                          Dave Jackson
                          School of Podcasting
                          www.schoolofpodcasting.com