Re: Best intermediate-to-advance podcasting how-to book?

  • Michael W. Dean
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2007
      Podcasting for Dummies was what I used.

      --Michael W. Dean
      "SUBMISSION AND COFFEE WITH DOLLIE LLAMA" (free BDSM podcast. No iPod
      needed):
      http://www.askdollie.com
    • Steven R. Boyett
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2007
        I think if you've gotten the basics down, the best thing to do is drop
        the "podcasting" qualifier and go to the music section of Barnes &
        Noble or Borders and start hunting up books on digital mixing &
        mastering. I wish I could recommend one, but the truth is I picked it
        up from years of DJing & composing electronic music, reading magazines
        like crazy, searching out internet tutorials on compression & EQing.
        Electronic Musician and Music Tech are two good sources for
        information, but thumbing through the back catalog might be daunting
        (though they may have a lot of material online).

        There are a ton of good books on digital recording; I'd try to find
        those that emphasize recording vocals (I assume you aren't recording
        music) and search out internet articles on "recording spoken word" &
        suchlike.

        Composing, announcing, recording, EQing, mastering, mixing are all
        ridiculously complex subjects, any one of which can be a career unto
        itself. I know a lot more than the average joe and I'm continually
        staggered by how little I know about it.
      • cian macmahon
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2007
          The three books which I use, and even after 50 episodes keep going
          back to check up on, are Podcasting for Dummies, Tricks of the
          Podcasting Masters and Promoting
          Your Podcast: the Ultimate Guide to building an audience of Raving
          Fans. They can
          all be bought at amazon.

          --
          Cian Mac Mahon
          Teenage Podcaster

        • Tee Morris
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2007
            Kevin Colligan wrote:

            > Anyone have suggestions on the best how-to book(s) on
            > intermediate-to-advanced podcasting?

            I would recommend TRICKS OF THE PODCASTING MASTERS by Rob Walsh and Mur
            Lafferty, and if you're looking to promote your podcast (which I
            consider part of the intermediate-to-advanced approach to podcasting)
            check out Jason Van Orden's Promoting Your Podcast.

            Good luck!

            Enjoy the Ride,

            Tee Morris
            co-author, PODCASTING FOR DUMMIES
            ----------------------------

            The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy
            A podcast of strategies, ideas, and insights
            FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST WRITING PODCAST

            Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.teemorris.com/blog

            -~-~-~-~-~-~-~

            Billibub Baddings and The Case of The Singing Sword
            http://podiobooks.com/podiobooks/book.php?ID=131

            MOREVI: The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana
            http://www.podiobooks.com/podiobooks/book.php?ID=23

            PodioBooks.com -- Telling the World a Story, One Podcast at a Time

          • Kevin Bachelder
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2007
              It's not available yet but I also believe that Tee and Evo are working
              on their next book "Expert Podcasting Practices for Dummies" which
              should be another good book to plan to pickup.

              Kevin

              --
              If you're a fan of Farscape or Firefly then you'll enjoy listening to
              the award winning podcasts...

              The ScapeCast
              http://www.scapecast.org

              The Signal
              http://www.serenityfirefly.com

              Firefly Talk
              http://www.fireflytalk.com

              On 5/1/07, Tee Morris <tee@...> wrote:
              > Kevin Colligan wrote:
              > >

              > > Anyone have suggestions on the best how-to book(s) on
              > > intermediate-to-advanced podcasting?
              >
              > I would recommend TRICKS OF THE PODCASTING MASTERS by Rob Walsh and Mur
              > Lafferty, and if you're looking to promote your podcast (which I
              > consider part of the intermediate-to-advanced approach to podcasting)
              > check out Jason Van Orden's Promoting Your Podcast.
              >
              > Good luck!
              >
              > Enjoy the Ride,
              >
              > Tee Morris
              > co-author, PODCASTING FOR DUMMIES
              > ----------------------------
              >
              > The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy
              > A podcast of strategies, ideas, and insights
              > FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST WRITING PODCAST
              >
              > Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.teemorris.com/blog
              >
              > -~-~-~-~-~-~-~
              >
              > Billibub Baddings and The Case of The Singing Sword
              > http://podiobooks.com/podiobooks/book.php?ID=131
              >
              > MOREVI: The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana
              > http://www.podiobooks.com/podiobooks/book.php?ID=23
              >
              > PodioBooks.com -- Telling the World a Story, One Podcast at a Time
            • Micah Ovadia
              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2007
                Hi, All.

                I recently finished writing a comprehensive podcasting
                guide (PoducateMe: Practical Solutions for Podcasting
                in Education) that includes intermediate to advanced
                podcasting techniques. I wasn't really ready to pimp
                it, but check the guide out at www.poducateme.com.
                Hope you find it helpful!

                Thanks,
                Micah Ovadia