Best intermediate-to-advance podcasting how-to book?

  • Kevin Colligan
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2007
      Anyone have suggestions on the best how-to book(s) on
      intermediate-to-advanced podcasting?

      I'm relatively comfortable with the basics (recording and editing with
      Audacity and a decent USB mic), but haven't been anywhere near a mixer
      and would like to learn how to keep raising the bar on audio quality.

      I saw "Mastering Digital Audio Production: The Professional Music
      Workflow with Mac OS X" mentioned on this list recently, but I'm
      pretty cross-platform now, so I'm not sure this is for me.

      Cheers,
      Kevin

      Well Told Tales
      pulp-fiction podcast

      http://welltoldtales.com
    • Michael W. Dean
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2007
        Podcasting for Dummies was what I used.

        --Michael W. Dean
        "SUBMISSION AND COFFEE WITH DOLLIE LLAMA" (free BDSM podcast. No iPod
        needed):
        http://www.askdollie.com
      • Steven R. Boyett
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2007
          I think if you've gotten the basics down, the best thing to do is drop
          the "podcasting" qualifier and go to the music section of Barnes &
          Noble or Borders and start hunting up books on digital mixing &
          mastering. I wish I could recommend one, but the truth is I picked it
          up from years of DJing & composing electronic music, reading magazines
          like crazy, searching out internet tutorials on compression & EQing.
          Electronic Musician and Music Tech are two good sources for
          information, but thumbing through the back catalog might be daunting
          (though they may have a lot of material online).

          There are a ton of good books on digital recording; I'd try to find
          those that emphasize recording vocals (I assume you aren't recording
          music) and search out internet articles on "recording spoken word" &
          suchlike.

          Composing, announcing, recording, EQing, mastering, mixing are all
          ridiculously complex subjects, any one of which can be a career unto
          itself. I know a lot more than the average joe and I'm continually
          staggered by how little I know about it.
        • cian macmahon
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2007
            The three books which I use, and even after 50 episodes keep going
            back to check up on, are Podcasting for Dummies, Tricks of the
            Podcasting Masters and Promoting
            Your Podcast: the Ultimate Guide to building an audience of Raving
            Fans. They can
            all be bought at amazon.

            --
            Cian Mac Mahon
            Teenage Podcaster

          • Tee Morris
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2007
              Kevin Colligan wrote:

              > Anyone have suggestions on the best how-to book(s) on
              > intermediate-to-advanced podcasting?

              I would recommend TRICKS OF THE PODCASTING MASTERS by Rob Walsh and Mur
              Lafferty, and if you're looking to promote your podcast (which I
              consider part of the intermediate-to-advanced approach to podcasting)
              check out Jason Van Orden's Promoting Your Podcast.

              Good luck!

              Enjoy the Ride,

              Tee Morris
              co-author, PODCASTING FOR DUMMIES
              ----------------------------

              The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy
              A podcast of strategies, ideas, and insights
              FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST WRITING PODCAST

              Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.teemorris.com/blog

              -~-~-~-~-~-~-~

              Billibub Baddings and The Case of The Singing Sword
              http://podiobooks.com/podiobooks/book.php?ID=131

              MOREVI: The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana
              http://www.podiobooks.com/podiobooks/book.php?ID=23

              PodioBooks.com -- Telling the World a Story, One Podcast at a Time

            • Kevin Bachelder
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2007
                It's not available yet but I also believe that Tee and Evo are working
                on their next book "Expert Podcasting Practices for Dummies" which
                should be another good book to plan to pickup.

                Kevin

                --
                If you're a fan of Farscape or Firefly then you'll enjoy listening to
                the award winning podcasts...

                The ScapeCast
                http://www.scapecast.org

                The Signal
                http://www.serenityfirefly.com

                Firefly Talk
                http://www.fireflytalk.com

                On 5/1/07, Tee Morris <tee@...> wrote:
                > Kevin Colligan wrote:
                > >

                > > Anyone have suggestions on the best how-to book(s) on
                > > intermediate-to-advanced podcasting?
                >
                > I would recommend TRICKS OF THE PODCASTING MASTERS by Rob Walsh and Mur
                > Lafferty, and if you're looking to promote your podcast (which I
                > consider part of the intermediate-to-advanced approach to podcasting)
                > check out Jason Van Orden's Promoting Your Podcast.
                >
                > Good luck!
                >
                > Enjoy the Ride,
                >
                > Tee Morris
                > co-author, PODCASTING FOR DUMMIES
                > ----------------------------
                >
                > The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy
                > A podcast of strategies, ideas, and insights
                > FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST WRITING PODCAST
                >
                > Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.teemorris.com/blog
                >
                > -~-~-~-~-~-~-~
                >
                > Billibub Baddings and The Case of The Singing Sword
                > http://podiobooks.com/podiobooks/book.php?ID=131
                >
                > MOREVI: The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana
                > http://www.podiobooks.com/podiobooks/book.php?ID=23
                >
                > PodioBooks.com -- Telling the World a Story, One Podcast at a Time
              • Micah Ovadia
                Message 7 of 8 , May 2, 2007
                  Hi, All.

                  I recently finished writing a comprehensive podcasting
                  guide (PoducateMe: Practical Solutions for Podcasting
                  in Education) that includes intermediate to advanced
                  podcasting techniques. I wasn't really ready to pimp
                  it, but check the guide out at www.poducateme.com.
                  Hope you find it helpful!

                  Thanks,
                  Micah Ovadia