Subscribing in Windows

  • timchr
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2007
      Hello all,
      I had a client ask me a question about subscribing to a podcast in
      Windows.
      My question is, can you send an email with a link or URL that a
      Windows using can click on that will subscribe to an RSS Feed (with
      enclosures like podcasts) automatically without downloading a third
      party program like iTunes?

      Thanks, Tim
    • David
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2007
        I wish!

        As far as I have found, there is no good way to subscribe to a podcast
        on a PC.

        I haven't found a good aggregator that doesn't have flaws yet either.

        I don't even want any high end facilities, just a simple program that
        downloads the latest episodes. I still end up checking the recived
        stuff regularly and finding problems.

        I am using Juice at the moment and it seems to re-download the same
        shows over and over again, it also does part-downloads and you only
        find out when the show cuts out half way through listening to it.

        (rant over)

        I did try Nimiq and that seemed OK, may have to try it again.

        iTunes is probably the best way to go, altrhough i prefer to have a
        little more control!

        cheers
        David
        www.themodelmakerspodcast.com

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "timchr" <surfbits@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > I had a client ask me a question about subscribing to a podcast in
        > Windows.
        > My question is, can you send an email with a link or URL that a
        > Windows using can click on that will subscribe to an RSS Feed (with
        > enclosures like podcasts) automatically without downloading a third
        > party program like iTunes?
        >
        > Thanks, Tim

      • Evo Terra
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2007
          timchr wrote:
          > I had a client ask me a question about subscribing to a podcast in
          > Windows.
          > My question is, can you send an email with a link or URL that a
          > Windows using can click on that will subscribe to an RSS Feed (with
          > enclosures like podcasts) automatically without downloading a third
          > party program like iTunes?

          A couple of things to remember:

          - Podcatching isn't integrated (to my knowledge) at the OS level. Sort
          a like word processing isn't native, nor is managing your finances.
          Consequently, you need some sort of application or handler installed on
          your OS to handle RSS subscriptions.

          - Even if it was, which version of "Windows"? Vista, XP, 98... each
          support things differently. I had heard that Vista with IE 7 was
          supposed to handle RSS natively, but there's no way to hide the link to
          the multitude of non-Vista Windows users.

          So no, a third party app is currently required to subscribe to RSS
          feeds. And even when it is supported by a browser or comes native, don't
          forget the legacy systems out there. It'll be a few years before we can
          expect to see a click-and-go world with podcasting, but we'll get there.

          E.

          --
          Evo Terra | Podiobooks.com
          Free serialized audio books, delivered on your schedule.
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2007
            The best solution I found was a feed reader plugin for Outlook called
            Attensa. It's an RSS reed reader that displays feeds in Outlook, sort
            of like an email. BUT- it also downloads enclosures to a folder of my
            choosing, which you can tell Windows Media Player to sync to your
            device every time you hook up. I used it for quite a while, until one
            day, for no apparent reason, it just stopped working at all. I tried
            all the suggestions of tech support, but nothing worked.

            Since then, I moved on to gmail, and I am using my Nokia N93 phone,
            and the Nokia podcasting app that runs on it, to listen to a number of
            podcasts. The phone is wi-fi, and I can subscribe to a podcast feed
            and download episodes right on the device.

            I think the soon-to-arrive next generation of devices that will be
            wi-fi enabled is going to make the computer unnecessary for syncing
            and subscribing to podcasts.

            Still, keep in mind that 70% of podcast listeners listen on their
            computers anyway.

            Carter Harkins
            http://CrowdAbout.us
            Making Podcasts Interactive

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "David" <rigante@...> wrote:

            > I wish!
            >
            > As far as I have found, there is no good way to subscribe to a podcast
            > on a PC.
            >
            > I haven't found a good aggregator that doesn't have flaws yet either.
            >
            > I don't even want any high end facilities, just a simple program that
            > downloads the latest episodes. I still end up checking the recived
            > stuff regularly and finding problems.
            >
            > I am using Juice at the moment and it seems to re-download the same
            > shows over and over again, it also does part-downloads and you only
            > find out when the show cuts out half way through listening to it.
            >
            > (rant over)
            >
            > I did try Nimiq and that seemed OK, may have to try it again.
            >
            > iTunes is probably the best way to go, altrhough i prefer to have a
            > little more control!
            >
            > cheers
            > David
            > www.themodelmakerspodcast.com
            >
            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "timchr" <surfbits@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello all,
            > > I had a client ask me a question about subscribing to a podcast in
            > > Windows.
            > > My question is, can you send an email with a link or URL that a
            > > Windows using can click on that will subscribe to an RSS Feed (with
            > > enclosures like podcasts) automatically without downloading a third
            > > party program like iTunes?
            > >
            > > Thanks, Tim

          • Steven R. Boyett
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2007