Re: [podcasters] Moving a Wordpress Database

  • John Federico
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21 7:19 AM
      Hi, Dave.

      Moving a Wordpress database is not all that difficult...the second time.
      The first time sucks.

      ;)

      Couple of tips:

      1) If it's a virtual host, make sure your new hosting provider sets up
      temporary or secondary name service for your site. For instance,
      "musicianscooler.newhost.com". This allows you to access the Wordpress
      install before you actually move the data (and your domain).

      2) Use phpMyAdmin to both dump the database from the old instance and
      import it into the new instance. Once the data is imported, using
      phpMyAdmin, change the domain string from "musicianscooler.com" to
      "musicianscooler.newhost.com" (or whatever the temporary name service
      is). Otherwise, accessing your Wordpress install will be a PITA.

      3) If your Wordpress install or your plug-ins aren't already updated at
      this point, do it now. However, keep the old versions of your plug-ins
      handy. I've found that for reasons I can't explain, I wasn't able to get
      new versions of the plug-ins working, so I rolled back to the old ones.
      Possibly conflicts with the version of Wordpress I was installing. Who
      knows...

      For what it's worth, I moved from Dreamhost to A Small Orange
      (http://www.asmallorange.com) (Strange name, reliable host and good
      service.)

      If I think of anything else, I'll send them to you off-list.

      Hope that helps.

      Regards,

      -jf.

      --