PR help

  • cianmacmahon
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 15, 2007
      My podcast is just about to reach episode 50. I want to get the word
      out. Here in Ireland, the newpapers jump on podcasting, and I think
      that they might just jump higher, considering I am a teenager. Does
      anybody have any tips for writing a good Press Release? Anything at
      all. I have never tried this before, and I don't want to screw up, and
      am overly broke to pay somebody else to do it.
      Thanks!

      Cian Mac Mahon
      Teenage Podcaster
      Avalible for hire
      www.stuffslashersaw.com
      www.viewfromthequad.com
    • David Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 15, 2007
        It was 15 Apr 2007, when cianmacmahon commented:

        > My podcast is just about to reach episode 50. I want to get the word
        > out. Here in Ireland, the newpapers jump on podcasting, and I think
        > that they might just jump higher, considering I am a teenager. Does
        > anybody have any tips for writing a good Press Release? Anything at
        > all. I have never tried this before, and I don't want to screw up, and am
        > overly broke to pay somebody else to do it. Thanks!

        In keeping with the more informal nature of podcasting -- although 50
        episodes is pretty formidable, congratulations on that! -- I'd tend more
        to looking at doing a semi-individual Letter to the Editor for each of the
        newspapers in question. Or if the paper has a columnist on technology, or
        on youth topics or education, you might get some play there. I suspect
        Press Releases are less likely to garner attention, though I haven't done
        one in years.

        As a letter to the editor, though, this announcement has a number of
        things going for it. It's fairly "high tech" since it involves the
        InterWeb and whatnot. It's from a teenager, and one who's stuck with an
        artistic endeavor for some phenomenal period of time, unless it's a daily
        podcast, of course. <grin> And it's about something one doesn't hear
        about all the time. And, over all, a Letter to the Editor would be easier
        for you to write.

        Might even try a letter to Dear Abby in the US, or the equivalent over
        there, if there is one. And a call-in to Leo LaPorte's The Tech Guy radio
        program asking for promotional or technical advice will likely go over
        big; he really seems to like those calls, a "hat trick," international
        (use Skype) and from a young person and from a podcaster. Likewise, if
        there are other syndicated talk radio programs on-topic for your show,
        those might be good bets.

        You might also put together a 15-second or 30-second promo to offer to
        various other podcasters for inclusion in their shows. I understand
        podcasters occasionally show up in this group, for example. <grin> My
        show has too small an audience to do much for you, but there are much
        larger ones out there.

        Given where you are, you might see if you can get TechTalk Radio (from the
        BBC, if I recall correctly) to include a mention -- podcasting's tech,
        too, and your relative youth should be a good human-interest kicker.

        What kind of a show is it, and what's it about? That would help other
        folks here give you more on-point responses. Again, congratulations on
        reaching the Big Five Oh!

        --
        Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
        Podcast:
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 16, 2007
          Thanks for the advice, David
          Officially, I do a technology and sci-fi show, but I also do a little
          audio-blog segment. Every second show, for the past while, I have
          also interviewed another podcaster. (so far i got Scott Sigler, JC
          Hutchins and Tee Morris. The whole rat pack!). I will take a looksee
          at the letters to the editor option.
          Cian Mac Mahon
          Teenage Podcaster
          Avalible for hire