Re: New address for Morning Coffee Notes feed...

  • Eric Rice
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 1 10:36 AM
      Before I ask a valid question about OPML, can I just say it's a little frustrating thinking I
      might have to walk on eggshells around here? Because, I'm about to question the use of
      OPML, and in the current climate, who KNOWS how quickly that will turn into Eric-
      bashing-Dave-or-Adam.

      So before I get started, allow me to invoke my parenting skills and tell people to knock
      that shit off or go to your room. I've had about enough of this.

      Now, the geeky:

      How did OPML (perhaps more accurately, hierarchial outlines) become the ideal format for
      show notes. On some of the early shows my crew and I did (back in the BuffyRadio/
      Showtalkers days a couple years ago), we used OmniOutliner to make show notes... but
      merely for the production of our show. We indented and annotated and took full
      advantage of that format, then lastly, printing them out so we could mark them up further.

      OPML makes sense to me as a production element, but not as a consumer element. I feel
      much more comfortable giving listeners/potential listeners a verbose summary in about
      three or four lines. And the designer in me says, it looks better.

      Did OPML's adoption in this manner happen because many of us are developer-minded,
      and we think in oftentimes in linear fashion? I mean, you know how we can get... We want
      every, little, teeny-weeny detail, fully indexed, cross-referenced, meta-data'd, etc.

      What I find happening with my listening habits, is that the more *detailed* the show notes,
      the less likely I am to listen. (Part of this is time-related because of the nature of what I do
      with my own show, and producing WeblogsInc's podcasts--I just can't keep up with every
      podcast and every show, even from the same podcaster.) Isn't that defeating the point of
      automation?

      So, whether you are commercial or indie, I'm curious to know, why OPML (outlining)?

      Thanks,

      Eric
      www.ericrice.com

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Ross Rader <ross@t...> wrote:

      > There are great reasons for producers to use opml to create show notes
      > 'n stuff - but very few tools available to automate basic tasks. Similar
      > story on the demand side of the equation...but there are good reasons on
      > both side to use the format that some smart programmer might make a good
      > buck off of if they spent the time to implement the functions that users
      > on the supply and demand side want...
      >
      > And sort of on that note - is there anything preventing me from
      > embedding an OPML file in an RSS feed? I can't find anything in the spec
      > that would rule this out, but then again, I've missed that boat before...
      >
      > I'm basically looking for a decent way to deliver outlines and I'm not
      > really interested in reinventing the wheel.
      >
      > --
      >

      > -rwr
      >

      > Contact info: http://www.blogware.com/profiles/ross
      > Skydasher: A great way to start your day
      > My weblog: http://www.byte.org
    • Ryan King
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 1 10:53 PM
        On Mar 1, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Gabe Kangas wrote:

        > Can't we standardize on real programming languages? Libraries for VB,
        > C, Perl, etc would be quite helpful.

        Real languages? I'm not sure what makes UserTalk less of a language.

        -ryan

        http://theryanking.com/