Spoken Wikipedia - help the blind

  • Michael W. Dean
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2007
      (I posted this also on "Voice Actors United" Yahoo group, but thought
      it might also be of interest to some folks here.)

      Spoken Wikipedia:
      Wikipedia needs people to speak articles from their site and upload
      them. There is no pay, but it's great experience speaking and
      recording, helps visually impaired people.
      It's a good thing to do.

      Info is here:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Spoken_Wikipedia

      That page shows the style info, and the tech info (has to be saved to
      the open-source file format, Ogg Vorbis, but a lot of audio programs
      can save to Ogg Vorbis.)

      MWD
      "Clone The Homeless"
      Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
      was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
      http://www.clonethehomeless.com
    • Shawn Thorpe
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2007
        On 01 Apr 2007 14:29:18 -0700, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...>
        wrote:

        > (I posted this also on "Voice Actors United" Yahoo group, but thought
        > it might also be of interest to some folks here.)
        >
        > Spoken Wikipedia:
        > Wikipedia needs people to speak articles from their site and upload
        > them. There is no pay, but it's great experience speaking and
        > recording, helps visually impaired people.
        > It's a good thing to do.
        >
        > Info is here:
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Spoken_Wikipedia
        >
        > That page shows the style info, and the tech info (has to be saved to
        > the open-source file format, Ogg Vorbis, but a lot of audio programs
        > can save to Ogg Vorbis.)
        >
        > MWD
        > "Clone The Homeless"
        > Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
        > was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
        > http://www.clonethehomeless.com

        Thanks for posting this, Michael. I'm definitely going to contribute
        something to this project. I'm legally blind, and I can see (no pun
        intended!) the benefit of a project like this.

        --
        -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
        Hyper Nonsense - Talk, comedy, music and more!

        Shawnogram - Content = life.
        http://www.shawnogram.com/

        Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
        http://www.phantompower.org/

      • PhiLL Ramey
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
          Hey Michael,

          Thanks for sharing this! I may not be expert enough on anything to actually
          update a Wikipedia entry, but I can definitely contribute with speaking!

          Thanks again,
          Phill

          wrote:

          > (I posted this also on "Voice Actors United" Yahoo group, but thought
          > it might also be of interest to some folks here.)
          >
          > Spoken Wikipedia:
          > Wikipedia needs people to speak articles from their site and upload
          > them. There is no pay, but it's great experience speaking and
          > recording, helps visually impaired people.
          > It's a good thing to do.
          >
          > Info is here:
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Spoken_Wikipedia
          >
          > That page shows the style info, and the tech info (has to be saved to
          > the open-source file format, Ogg Vorbis, but a lot of audio programs
          > can save to Ogg Vorbis.)
          >
          > MWD
          > "Clone The Homeless"
          > Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
          > was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
          > http://www.clonethehomeless.com

          --
          The PhiLL(er)'s Online Music Program
          http://www.thephiller.com