New to group

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
      I know I am new to this group and also know you have been asked this
      question by a number of persons but here goes. Is there a link for
      idiots as myself to learn how to make my own podcasting station. ie.
      what I need to get and do. To get up and running and broad cast my
      own feeds.
      Thanks,
      Michael
    • Steven Reed
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
        Things needed for you to start your own podcast:

        1. Content for your podcast
        2. Recording software (ex:Mixcastlive, audacity)
        3. Microphone (analog or USB)
        4. Website that will host your podcast (ex:Libsyn.com)
        5. RSS Aggregator to download podcasts (Ipodder,
        doppler)
        6. Software to play the podcast on (Real Player,
        WinAmp)
        7. Lots of time - to listen to other podcasts and to
        work on your own.

        Of course this is just the "short list", I'm sure that
        others on this list will chime in with other answers.

        --Steven Reed

        PODCAST - The John and Steve Show -
        http://johnandsteveshow.libsyn.com/
        RSS Feed: http://johnandsteveshow.libsyn.com/rss

        View my sites:
        http://thissideweb.blogspot.com/
        http://stevenreed.bravehost.com/
        http://www.geocities.com/steree99

        =====

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Jason @ Insomnia Radio
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2005
          Welcome Michael;

          There is a tried and true post over at engadget explaining how to do
          it on a Mac....
          http://www.engadget.com/entry/5843952395227141/

          Also a great howto at Podfly:
          http://podfly.com/mambo/content/view/21/57/

          If you're interested in hosting, I highly recommend Libsyn @ Libsyn.com
          It's an all in one hosting/blogging solution....

          Obviously there are 100's of links hiding out there, but those two
          come to mind....

          --
          Jason Evangelho
          Host & Producer: Insomnia Radio

          On the web:
          http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
          RSS Feed: (copy link and plug into your podcatching client)
          http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml

          The Sleepless Reader: A critical extension of Insomnia Radio:
          http://sleeplessreader.blogspot.com

          Direct Connect:
          AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
          Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
          805-709-1551

          Proud member of the Association of Music Podcasting:
          http://musicpodcasting.org

          "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
          strong to be broken."
          ~Samuel Johnson
        • Christophe Kualasoft
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
            He Steven,

            Your show is "John and Steve", but you sign with Steven?
            What happend to the "n" ?

            / Christophe

            =====
            --Steven Reed

            PODCAST - The John and Steve Show - http://johnandsteveshow.libsyn.com/
            RSS Feed: http://johnandsteveshow.libsyn.com/rss

            View my sites:
            http://thissideweb.blogspot.com/
            http://stevenreed.bravehost.com/
            http://www.geocities.com/steree99

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Steven Reed
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2005
              Thanks for the inquiry, I use both names
              interchangably.

              Steven is the formal way to say my name, those who
              don't know me would use that and Steve is for the
              listeners and my friends. We choose the name being as
              Steve is what my Brother-In-Law John calls me when we
              talk. Really, I'm cool with either.

              --Steve :-)

              --- Christophe Kualasoft <christophe@...>

              =====
              --Steven Reed

              PODCAST - The John and Steve Show - http://johnandsteveshow.libsyn.com/
              RSS Feed: http://johnandsteveshow.libsyn.com/rss

              View my sites:
              http://thissideweb.blogspot.com/
              http://stevenreed.bravehost.com/
              http://www.geocities.com/steree99

              __________________________________
              Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
            • Patrick Cook
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 6, 2005
                Hi everyone:

                At 12:13 PM 3/1/2005, you wrote:

                >Things needed for you to start your own podcast:
                >
                >1. Content for your podcast
                >2. Recording software (ex:Mixcastlive, audacity)

                A DVR (Preferrably one with a PC Link) can also be used (this is handy as
                you can podcast from literally ANYWHERE as long as you have the space and
                battery power :) ).

                >7. Lots of time - to listen to other podcasts and to
                >work on your own.

                Particularly if your show involves guest interviews (either in studio or
                via phone, which involves a much more sophisticated setup in order to do it
                right) :)

                Hope I've helped with MY short list. :)

                Cheers for now :)

                Patrick Cook
                pchamster@...
                kpdcnettv@...
                Denver, Colorado
                http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog.html
                http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/
                TEXT RSS Feed - http://kpdcnettv.tripod.com/blog/rss.xml
                PODCAST RSS Feed -
                http://jeeperone.tripod.com/blog/podcasts/patspodcast/rss.xml
                The Pat Cook Show Podcast Edition -
                http://jeeperone.tripod.com/blog/podcasts/patcookshow/rss.xml (NEW PODCAST!!)

                P.S.: Vloggers, my vlog is next (STILL waitin' on the archive - GRRR!!!)

                P.P.S.: Podcast Directories, you'll be getting my new podcast URL in the
                next few days. :)

              • LARRY WANGER
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1 3:43 PM
                  Hi,

                  My name is Larry and I live in Phoenix Arizona. I have been a long-time fan of podcasts and about 2 months ago began producing my own. You can visit http://www.disabilitynation.net to check out my site and to listen to the first five shows I've posted. I do a show about every-other week and really am enjoying it. I use Sound Studio and Audio Hijack on an iMac G4 and it works well. I'm always looking for new tips and technology to use in producing my show and am looking forward to improving upon it further.

                  By the way, I'm certainly interested in helping to promote other podcasts so if you wish you can send me a promo and I may run it during my show. I've accumulated about 60 subscribers to the feed and between 20 and 40 download the show directly from my site each day.

                  Visit my home page at http://www.disabilitynation.net and subscribe to The DisabilityNation Podcast.

                • George L Smyth
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 1 5:36 PM
                    --- LARRY WANGER <lsw999@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > My name is Larry and I live in Phoenix Arizona. I have been a long-time fan
                    > of podcasts and about 2 months ago began producing my own. You can visit
                    > http://www.disabilitynation.net to check out my site and to listen to the
                    > first five shows I've posted. I do a show about every-other week and really
                    > am enjoying it. I use Sound Studio and Audio Hijack on an iMac G4 and it
                    > works well. I'm always looking for new tips and technology to use in
                    > producing my show and am looking forward to improving upon it further.
                    >
                    > By the way, I'm certainly interested in helping to promote other podcasts so
                    > if you wish you can send me a promo and I may run it during my show. I've
                    > accumulated about 60 subscribers to the feed and between 20 and 40 download
                    > the show directly from my site each day.

                    Larry -

                    I'll send you my promo, if you wish to play it. Actually, I've got a way to
                    promote your show, if you wish, and will contact you offline about it (no, I'm
                    not selling anything <g>).

                    Cheers -

                    george

                    -------------------------------------

                    Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
                    One Minute How-To: http://podcasternews.com/details.php?P=131
                  • Todd Daniel
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 1 7:14 PM
                      Larry,

                      Excellent website, blog, and podcast. I do not know what disability you have, but you are gifted with a great voice. Your sound quality is excellent throughout, and your topics are rich in variety and interesting.

                      My only suggestion is to lose the cheesy GarageBand riffs. Do some networking and maybe you can find a local sound engineer that will make you a good intro either gratis or very cheap. If you're lucky, he may know some voice talent that needs a little practice.

                      Promote your show in the disability community, and your subscriber base will grow quickly. Try to make your show weekly, and be punctual about coming out on the same day. Podcasting is a personal medium and people get attached to their shows and hosts -- always be faithful to your fans. For instance, I plan ahead what podcasts I'm going to listen to at the gym, and if one of my favorite shows are late, I'm pissed.

                      The Goose

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 1 7:56 PM
                        Thanks for the feedback. You are the first to notice the Gerageband tracks
                        I used but its all I've got for now. I've tried to locate some podsafe
                        music and to gain access to the library at the podsafe music network but had
                        some problems for some odd reason. If you've got ideas where I can snag
                        some tunes that won't get the damned RIA pissed off I'd appreciate it. I
                        think bumpers and the like really help with the show. Realize that most
                        people are not using Garage Band and have no clue where the music came from.
                        Those of us who are podcast aficionados know of it but that's about the
                        extent. You are the first to voice this issue but its certainly worth
                        considering.

                        I've been promoting the show and continue to network and get the word out.

                        Visit my home page at http://www.disabilitynation.net and subscribe to The
                        DisabilityNation Podcast.
                        > Excellent website, blog, and podcast. I do not know what disability you
                        > have, but you are gifted with a great voice. Your sound quality is
                        > excellent throughout, and your topics are rich in variety and interesting.
                        >
                        > My only suggestion is to lose the cheesy GarageBand riffs. Do some
                        > networking and maybe you can find a local sound engineer that will make
                        > you a good intro either gratis or very cheap. If you're lucky, he may know
                        > some voice talent that needs a little practice.
                        >
                        > Promote your show in the disability community, and your subscriber base
                        > will grow quickly. Try to make your show weekly, and be punctual about
                        > coming out on the same day. Podcasting is a personal medium and people get
                        > attached to their shows and hosts -- always be faithful to your fans. For
                        > instance, I plan ahead what podcasts I'm going to listen to at the gym,
                        > and if one of my favorite shows are late, I'm pissed.
                        >
                        > The Goose

                      • Todd Daniel
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 2 4:30 AM
                          Larry,

                          Your homework assignment is to explore the RadioDaddy option and report back
                          to the group. :-)

                          http://www.radiodaddy.com/

                          You¹re right ­ less then 5% of computer owners are Mac users. The percentage
                          is obviously much higher with podcasters, but probably about the industry
                          average for listeners, so not many people will recognize the ³Yearbook²
                          riff.

                          No, you don¹t want to piss off the RIAA with a copyright violation.

                          Goose

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 2 6:11 AM
                            On 8/2/06, Todd Daniel <todddan@...> wrote:

                            > You¹re right ­ less then 5% of computer owners are Mac users. The percentage
                            > is obviously much higher with podcasters, but probably about the industry
                            > average for listeners, so not many people will recognize the ³Yearbook²
                            > riff.

                            Data point: About 30% of my downloads come from Macintosh clients.

                            That said, though, I agree that there's nothing wrong with using
                            GarageBand music beds. That's what they're there for, and most of
                            them don't sound bad.

                            I listened to the beginning of Disability Nation #5, and the music
                            sounded fine to me. My only suggestion is that running it to
                            completion is slightly too long; I would consider either fading it out
                            after the first drum riff or just ducking and talking over it. >8->
                            But it wasn't bad at all.

                            http://www.escapepod.org
                          • George L Smyth
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 2 10:09 AM
                              --- LARRY WANGER <lsw999@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks for the feedback. You are the first to notice the Gerageband tracks
                              > I used but its all I've got for now. I've tried to locate some podsafe
                              > music and to gain access to the library at the podsafe music network but had
                              > some problems for some odd reason. If you've got ideas where I can snag
                              > some tunes that won't get the damned RIA pissed off I'd appreciate it. I
                              > think bumpers and the like really help with the show. Realize that most
                              > people are not using Garage Band and have no clue where the music came from.
                              > Those of us who are podcast aficionados know of it but that's about the
                              > extent. You are the first to voice this issue but its certainly worth
                              > considering.

                              Larry -

                              I'd send you to Magnatune.com, which is a label that is actually very nice not
                              only to podcasters, but also the artists and purchasers. I've used their music
                              on numerous Eclectic Mix shows (including this Saturday's show).

                              Cheers -

                              george