Re: Oh communal podcaster brain, where do I find my theme music?

  • Michael W. Dean
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 31, 2007
      Ask this guy
      http://www.sdjazz.com/

      or this guy:
      http://www.stevemunger.com/

      Tell 'em I sent you.

      "Clone The Homeless"
      Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
      was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
      http://www.clonethehomeless.com
    • Shawn Thorpe
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
        Glad I could help you out. Always keep in mind that these sites:
        http://www.garageband.com/
        http://music.podshow.com/
        Are filled with independent artists who would probably be happy to let you
        use their music for free in exchange for a little promotion on your podcast.

        -Shawn

        On 3/31/07, Braindouche! <podcast@...> wrote:

        > Thanks, Shawn! You are correct, it's not quite what I'm looking for, but
        > their song Chicken Grease would do in a pinch. I'm definitely adding that
        > the "if I have to" pile, though, and that's progress.
        >
        > ~Mer
        > [podcast to follow]

      • Braindouche!
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
          Thanks, man. I've done a hell of a lot of listening on those sites, plus
          Magnatune.com, archive.org, and I've even spent days crawling through
          Myspace.com, not to mention pulling CDBaby.com apart, everymajor library
          music website i could find, and a couple of other websites i'm not even
          remembering. The sheer volume of music available is astonishing, and the
          lack of what I've been looking for, more astonishing still.

          ~Mer
          [podcast to follow]

          On 01 Apr 2007 00:23:15 -0700, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

          > Glad I could help you out. Always keep in mind that these sites:
          > http://www.garageband.com/
          > http://music.podshow.com/
          > Are filled with independent artists who would probably be happy to let you
          > use their music for free in exchange for a little promotion on your
          > podcast.
          >
          > -Shawn
          >
          > On 3/31/07, Braindouche! <podcast@...<podcast%40braindouche.net>>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks, Shawn! You are correct, it's not quite what I'm looking for, but
          > > their song Chicken Grease would do in a pinch. I'm definitely adding
          > that
          > > the "if I have to" pile, though, and that's progress.
          > >
          > > ~Mer
          > > [podcast to follow]

        • LARRY WANGER
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
            And to think that these folks could have had you promoting their music on each show you did. Maybe someone hears it and then buys it. But instead, they don't get it.
            Visit DisabilityNation at http://www.disabilitynation.net

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
              It was 1 Apr 2007, when Braindouche! commented:

              > Do any of you, anywhere, have *any* ideas where I could look for music even
              > vaguely related to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, or Lawrence Welk? I
              > want something retro, shuffling, perferably brassy, unthreatening, and more
              > than anything else, it needs to be milquetoast suburban 1960's music for
              > middleclass white people. I'm desperate. I'll even pay for it, if you
              > happen to know of a library music company that will work with a podcaster
              > on a very limited budget and cannot for the foreseeable future pay
              > royalties.

              Kevin MacLeod, <http://www.incompetech.com>. Wide variety of music,
              including what I'm currently using for my show.

              --
              Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
              Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
                Ooh, good website, and recently redone, too. If you email the guy who runs
                it, and ask nicely, and he's in the mood, he might write up and record
                something new or special for you, particularly if it's a glaring omission in
                his current selection. He said no. But it's a great resource.

                ~Mer
                [podcast to follow]

                On 4/1/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:

                > It was 1 Apr 2007, when Braindouche! commented:
                >
                > > Do any of you, anywhere, have *any* ideas where I could look for music
                > even
                > > vaguely related to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, or Lawrence Welk?
                > > want something retro, shuffling, perferably brassy, unthreatening, and
                > more
                > > than anything else, it needs to be milquetoast suburban 1960's music for
                > > middleclass white people. I'm desperate. I'll even pay for it, if you
                > > happen to know of a library music company that will work with a
                > podcaster
                > > on a very limited budget and cannot for the foreseeable future pay
                > > royalties.
                >
                > Kevin MacLeod, <http://www.incompetech.com>. Wide variety of music,
                > including what I'm currently using for my show.
                >
                > --
                > Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
                > Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                > A minor local celebrity's fifteen minutes of
                > fame

              • Harold Johnson
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 8 11:00 PM
                  Family legend has it that grandfather worked with Mr. Alpert briefly. I'm
                  not entirely certain in what respect, though -- my gramps was a private
                  investigator, but he also played some guitar...

                  Harold
                  "Zorba the Greek"
                  http//somethingthathappened.com

                  On 3/31/07, Braindouche! <podcast@...> wrote:

                  > Hey folks,
                  >
                  > I've been bashing my head against this problem for months. I found a
                  > song that would be a perfect theme song for my yet-unreleased podcast
                  > -- the song "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", from the Going Places
                  > album by Herb Alpert. Of course, I can't use it... I even asked the
                  > record company that Alpert uses, and they sent me a very polite, but
                  > unequivocal, no.
                  >
                  > So, of course, everything that I find won't be as good, since i've
                  > already found "the perfect song". I've been plugging away at the
                  > internet to find something in a similar vein to that song, and I've
                  > made a startling discovery: THere appears to be only one artist in the
                  > english-speaking world willing to admit on the internet that they make
                  > big band american mariachi music a la the Tijuana Brass. His name is
                  > Amante. His music could really work well for me, even if it isn't
                  > Perfect. He also said no.
                  >
                  > Do any of you, anywhere, have *any* ideas where I could look for music
                  > even vaguely related to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, or Lawrence
                  > Welk? I want something retro, shuffling, perferably brassy,
                  > unthreatening, and more than anything else, it needs to be milquetoast
                  > suburban 1960's music for middleclass white people. I'm desperate.
                  > I'll even pay for it, if you happen to know of a library music company
                  > that will work with a podcaster on a very limited budget and cannot
                  > for the foreseeable future pay royalties.
                  >
                  > Thank you all so very much in advance, my potential hero's to whom I
                  > shall be indebted,
                  > Mer
                  > [podcast to follow]

                • Harold Johnson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 8 11:11 PM
                    I should also have mentioned that you might find some help by tapping some
                    of the members of the Association of Music Podcasting at
                    http://musicpodcasting.org such as the podcaster of The Jazz Suite:

                    http://thejazzsuite.mypodcasts.net/

                    Harold

                    On 7/8/07, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

                    > Family legend has it that grandfather worked with Mr. Alpert briefly. I'm
                    > not entirely certain in what respect, though -- my gramps was a private
                    > investigator, but he also played some guitar...
                    >
                    > Harold
                    > "Zorba the Greek"
                    > http//somethingthathappened.com
                    >

                    > On 3/31/07, Braindouche! <podcast@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hey folks,
                    > >
                    > > I've been bashing my head against this problem for months. I found a
                    > > song that would be a perfect theme song for my yet-unreleased podcast
                    > > -- the song "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", from the Going Places
                    > > album by Herb Alpert. Of course, I can't use it... I even asked the
                    > > record company that Alpert uses, and they sent me a very polite, but
                    > > unequivocal, no.
                    > >
                    > > So, of course, everything that I find won't be as good, since i've
                    > > already found "the perfect song". I've been plugging away at the
                    > > internet to find something in a similar vein to that song, and I've
                    > > made a startling discovery: THere appears to be only one artist in the
                    > > english-speaking world willing to admit on the internet that they make
                    > > big band american mariachi music a la the Tijuana Brass. His name is
                    > > Amante. His music could really work well for me, even if it isn't
                    > > Perfect. He also said no.
                    > >
                    > > Do any of you, anywhere, have *any* ideas where I could look for music
                    > > even vaguely related to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, or Lawrence
                    > > Welk? I want something retro, shuffling, perferably brassy,
                    > > unthreatening, and more than anything else, it needs to be milquetoast
                    > > suburban 1960's music for middleclass white people. I'm desperate.
                    > > I'll even pay for it, if you happen to know of a library music company
                    > > that will work with a podcaster on a very limited budget and cannot
                    > > for the foreseeable future pay royalties.
                    > >
                    > > Thank you all so very much in advance, my potential hero's to whom I
                    > > shall be indebted,
                    > > Mer
                    > > [podcast to follow]

                  • Steven R. Boyett
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 8 11:18 PM
                      Think there's a chance you could get permission to use the theme music from
                      the old "The Dating Game"?

                      Steve Boyett
                      www.djsteveboy.com <http://www.djsteveboy.com/>
                      Podcasts: "Groovelectric" / "Podrunner"

                      _____

                      On 3/31/07, Braindouche! <podcast@braindouche
                      <mailto:podcast%40braindouche.net> .net> wrote:

                      > Hey folks,
                      >
                      > I've been bashing my head against this problem for months. I found a
                      > song that would be a perfect theme song for my yet-unreleased podcast
                      > -- the song "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", from the Going Places
                      > album by Herb Alpert. Of course, I can't use it... I even asked the
                      > record company that Alpert uses, and they sent me a very polite, but
                      > unequivocal, no.
                      >
                      > So, of course, everything that I find won't be as good, since i've
                      > already found "the perfect song". I've been plugging away at the
                      > internet to find something in a similar vein to that song, and I've
                      > made a startling discovery: THere appears to be only one artist in the
                      > english-speaking world willing to admit on the internet that they make
                      > big band american mariachi music a la the Tijuana Brass. His name is
                      > Amante. His music could really work well for me, even if it isn't
                      > Perfect. He also said no.
                      >
                      > Do any of you, anywhere, have *any* ideas where I could look for music
                      > even vaguely related to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, or Lawrence
                      > Welk? I want something retro, shuffling, perferably brassy,
                      > unthreatening, and more than anything else, it needs to be milquetoast
                      > suburban 1960's music for middleclass white people. I'm desperate.
                      > I'll even pay for it, if you happen to know of a library music company
                      > that will work with a podcaster on a very limited budget and cannot
                      > for the foreseeable future pay royalties.
                      >
                      > Thank you all so very much in advance, my potential hero's to whom I
                      > shall be indebted,
                      > Mer
                      > [podcast to follow]

                    • David Smith
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 9 1:52 AM
                        I'm surprised I didn't see the original post on this.

                        Anyway, I got my current intro music from Kevin MacLeod
                        <http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/> and I suspect he'll have
                        something suitable, if you dig around there a bit. He's been known to
                        write music -for- podcasts, too, on request and/or for a fee. Ask him
                        about it, just mention my name, and he'll say "Who?"

                        FWIW, my theme music fits your discription, but you can't have it, so
                        there! :-)

                        It was 8 Jul 2007, when Harold Johnson commented:

                        > Family legend has it that grandfather worked with Mr. Alpert briefly. I'm
                        > not entirely certain in what respect, though -- my gramps was a private
                        > investigator, but he also played some guitar...
                        >
                        > Harold
                        > "Zorba the Greek"
                        > http//somethingthathappened.com
                        >

                        > On 3/31/07, Braindouche! <podcast@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hey folks,
                        > >
                        > > I've been bashing my head against this problem for months. I found a song
                        > > that would be a perfect theme song for my yet-unreleased podcast -- the
                        > > song "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", from the Going Places album by
                        > > Herb Alpert. Of course, I can't use it... I even asked the record company
                        > > that Alpert uses, and they sent me a very polite, but unequivocal, no.
                        > >
                        > > So, of course, everything that I find won't be as good, since i've
                        > > already found "the perfect song". I've been plugging away at the
                        > > internet to find something in a similar vein to that song, and I've
                        > > made a startling discovery: THere appears to be only one artist in the
                        > > english-speaking world willing to admit on the internet that they make
                        > > big band american mariachi music a la the Tijuana Brass. His name is
                        > > Amante. His music could really work well for me, even if it isn't
                        > > Perfect. He also said no.
                        > >
                        > > Do any of you, anywhere, have *any* ideas where I could look for music
                        > > even vaguely related to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, or Lawrence
                        > > Welk? I want something retro, shuffling, perferably brassy,
                        > > unthreatening, and more than anything else, it needs to be milquetoast
                        > > suburban 1960's music for middleclass white people. I'm desperate. I'll
                        > > even pay for it, if you happen to know of a library music company that
                        > > will work with a podcaster on a very limited budget and cannot for the
                        > > foreseeable future pay royalties.
                        > >
                        > > Thank you all so very much in advance, my potential hero's to whom I
                        > > shall be indebted, Mer [podcast to follow]
                        --

                        Grizzly's Growls Podcast: Talk and country music
                        <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> Delivered for free
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 13 10:43 PM
                          I'm not sure what you mean -- is that Herb's music?

                          Harold

                          On 7/8/07, Steven R. Boyett <steve@...> wrote:

                          > Think there's a chance you could get permission to use the theme music
                          > from
                          > the old "The Dating Game"?
                          >
                          > Steve Boyett
                          > www.djsteveboy.com <http://www.djsteveboy.com/>
                          > Podcasts: "Groovelectric" / "Podrunner"
                          >

                          > _____

                        • Steven R. Boyett
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 13 11:09 PM
                            No. The Dating Game theme song was a blatant ripoff of Herb Alpert,
                            especially from "Whipped Cream and Other Delights."

                            _____

                            On 7/8/07, Steven R. Boyett <steve@steveboy. <mailto:steve%40steveboy.com>
                            com> wrote:

                            > Think there's a chance you could get permission to use the theme music
                            > from
                            > the old "The Dating Game"?
                            >
                            > Steve Boyett
                            > www.djsteveboy.com <http://www.djsteveb <http://www.djsteveboy.com/>
                            oy.com/>
                            > Podcasts: "Groovelectric" / "Podrunner"
                            >

                            > _____

                          • Harold Johnson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 13 11:34 PM
                              Oh, okay. I'll remember that the next time I'm watching the Game Show
                              Network...

                              Harold

                              On 7/13/07, Steven R. Boyett <steve@...> wrote:

                              > No. The Dating Game theme song was a blatant ripoff of Herb Alpert,
                              > especially from "Whipped Cream and Other Delights."
                              >
                              > _____

                            • ronharpervoice
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 14 5:58 AM
                                Actually, Chuck Barris used Herb's music for his theme and incidental
                                music in that show. It wasn't a "rip-off"

                                Braindouche..if you contact me off list, I might have something. I
                                have three different libraries I use for productions, I KNOW there's
                                some retro in there.
                                Best,
                                Ron Harper

                                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold