Oh communal podcaster brain, where do I find my theme music?

  • Braindouche!
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 31, 2007
      Hey folks,

      I've been bashing my head against this problem for months. I found a
      song that would be a perfect theme song for my yet-unreleased podcast
      -- the song "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", from the Going Places
      album by Herb Alpert. Of course, I can't use it... I even asked the
      record company that Alpert uses, and they sent me a very polite, but
      unequivocal, no.

      So, of course, everything that I find won't be as good, since i've
      already found "the perfect song". I've been plugging away at the
      internet to find something in a similar vein to that song, and I've
      made a startling discovery: THere appears to be only one artist in the
      english-speaking world willing to admit on the internet that they make
      big band american mariachi music a la the Tijuana Brass. His name is
      Amante. His music could really work well for me, even if it isn't
      Perfect. He also said no.

      Do any of you, anywhere, have *any* ideas where I could look for music
      even vaguely related to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, or Lawrence
      Welk? I want something retro, shuffling, perferably brassy,
      unthreatening, and more than anything else, it needs to be milquetoast
      suburban 1960's music for middleclass white people. I'm desperate.
      I'll even pay for it, if you happen to know of a library music company
      that will work with a podcaster on a very limited budget and cannot
      for the foreseeable future pay royalties.

      Thank you all so very much in advance, my potential hero's to whom I
      shall be indebted,
      Mer
      [podcast to follow]
    • Shawn Thorpe
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 31, 2007
        A quick search of http://www.garageband.com/ found this:
        http://www.garageband.com/artist/brassngrass
        It's probably not exactly what you're after. But, maybe? Take a listen,
        and if you like what you hear, contact the band and see what they say.

        -Shawn

        On 3/31/07, Braindouche! <podcast@...> wrote:

        > Hey folks,
        >
        > I've been bashing my head against this problem for months. I found a
        > song that would be a perfect theme song for my yet-unreleased podcast
        > -- the song "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", from the Going Places
        > album by Herb Alpert. Of course, I can't use it... I even asked the
        > record company that Alpert uses, and they sent me a very polite, but
        > unequivocal, no.
        >
        > So, of course, everything that I find won't be as good, since i've
        > already found "the perfect song". I've been plugging away at the
        > internet to find something in a similar vein to that song, and I've
        > made a startling discovery: THere appears to be only one artist in the
        > english-speaking world willing to admit on the internet that they make
        > big band american mariachi music a la the Tijuana Brass. His name is
        > Amante. His music could really work well for me, even if it isn't
        > Perfect. He also said no.
        >
        > Do any of you, anywhere, have *any* ideas where I could look for music
        > even vaguely related to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, or Lawrence
        > Welk? I want something retro, shuffling, perferably brassy,
        > unthreatening, and more than anything else, it needs to be milquetoast
        > suburban 1960's music for middleclass white people. I'm desperate.
        > I'll even pay for it, if you happen to know of a library music company
        > that will work with a podcaster on a very limited budget and cannot
        > for the foreseeable future pay royalties.
        >
        > Thank you all so very much in advance, my potential hero's to whom I
        > shall be indebted,
        > Mer
        > [podcast to follow]

      • Braindouche!
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 31, 2007
          Thanks, Shawn! You are correct, it's not quite what I'm looking for, but
          their song Chicken Grease would do in a pinch. I'm definitely adding that to
          the "if I have to" pile, though, and that's progress.

          ~Mer
          [podcast to follow]

          On 31 Mar 2007 23:11:28 -0700, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

          > A quick search of http://www.garageband.com/ found this:
          > http://www.garageband.com/artist/brassngrass
          > It's probably not exactly what you're after. But, maybe? Take a listen,
          > and if you like what you hear, contact the band and see what they say.
          >
          > -Shawn
          >

          > On 3/31/07, Braindouche! <podcast@...<podcast%40braindouche.net>>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey folks,
          > >
          > > I've been bashing my head against this problem for months. I found a
          > > song that would be a perfect theme song for my yet-unreleased podcast
          > > -- the song "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", from the Going Places
          > > album by Herb Alpert. Of course, I can't use it... I even asked the
          > > record company that Alpert uses, and they sent me a very polite, but
          > > unequivocal, no.
          > >
          > > So, of course, everything that I find won't be as good, since i've
          > > already found "the perfect song". I've been plugging away at the
          > > internet to find something in a similar vein to that song, and I've
          > > made a startling discovery: THere appears to be only one artist in the
          > > english-speaking world willing to admit on the internet that they make
          > > big band american mariachi music a la the Tijuana Brass. His name is
          > > Amante. His music could really work well for me, even if it isn't
          > > Perfect. He also said no.
          > >
          > > Do any of you, anywhere, have *any* ideas where I could look for music
          > > even vaguely related to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, or Lawrence
          > > Welk? I want something retro, shuffling, perferably brassy,
          > > unthreatening, and more than anything else, it needs to be milquetoast
          > > suburban 1960's music for middleclass white people. I'm desperate.
          > > I'll even pay for it, if you happen to know of a library music company
          > > that will work with a podcaster on a very limited budget and cannot
          > > for the foreseeable future pay royalties.
          > >
          > > Thank you all so very much in advance, my potential hero's to whom I
          > > shall be indebted,
          > > Mer
          > > [podcast to follow]

        • Michael W. Dean
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 31, 2007
            Ask this guy
            http://www.sdjazz.com/

            or this guy:
            http://www.stevemunger.com/

            Tell 'em I sent you.

            "Clone The Homeless"
            Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
            was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
            http://www.clonethehomeless.com
          • Shawn Thorpe
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 1 12:23 AM
              Glad I could help you out. Always keep in mind that these sites:
              http://www.garageband.com/
              http://music.podshow.com/
              Are filled with independent artists who would probably be happy to let you
              use their music for free in exchange for a little promotion on your podcast.

              -Shawn

              On 3/31/07, Braindouche! <podcast@...> wrote:

              > Thanks, Shawn! You are correct, it's not quite what I'm looking for, but
              > their song Chicken Grease would do in a pinch. I'm definitely adding that
              > the "if I have to" pile, though, and that's progress.
              >
              > ~Mer
              > [podcast to follow]

            • Braindouche!
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 1 11:02 AM
                Thanks, man. I've done a hell of a lot of listening on those sites, plus
                Magnatune.com, archive.org, and I've even spent days crawling through
                Myspace.com, not to mention pulling CDBaby.com apart, everymajor library
                music website i could find, and a couple of other websites i'm not even
                remembering. The sheer volume of music available is astonishing, and the
                lack of what I've been looking for, more astonishing still.

                ~Mer
                [podcast to follow]

                On 01 Apr 2007 00:23:15 -0700, Shawn Thorpe <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

                > Glad I could help you out. Always keep in mind that these sites:
                > http://www.garageband.com/
                > http://music.podshow.com/
                > Are filled with independent artists who would probably be happy to let you
                > use their music for free in exchange for a little promotion on your
                > podcast.
                >
                > -Shawn
                >
                > On 3/31/07, Braindouche! <podcast@...<podcast%40braindouche.net>>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks, Shawn! You are correct, it's not quite what I'm looking for, but
                > > their song Chicken Grease would do in a pinch. I'm definitely adding
                > that
                > > the "if I have to" pile, though, and that's progress.
                > >
                > > ~Mer
                > > [podcast to follow]

              • LARRY WANGER
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 1 11:20 AM
                  And to think that these folks could have had you promoting their music on each show you did. Maybe someone hears it and then buys it. But instead, they don't get it.
                  Visit DisabilityNation at http://www.disabilitynation.net

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 1 11:25 AM
                    It was 1 Apr 2007, when Braindouche! commented:

                    > Do any of you, anywhere, have *any* ideas where I could look for music even
                    > vaguely related to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, or Lawrence Welk? I
                    > want something retro, shuffling, perferably brassy, unthreatening, and more
                    > than anything else, it needs to be milquetoast suburban 1960's music for
                    > middleclass white people. I'm desperate. I'll even pay for it, if you
                    > happen to know of a library music company that will work with a podcaster
                    > on a very limited budget and cannot for the foreseeable future pay
                    > royalties.

                    Kevin MacLeod, <http://www.incompetech.com>. Wide variety of music,
                    including what I'm currently using for my show.

                    --
                    Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
                    Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 1 12:43 PM
                      Ooh, good website, and recently redone, too. If you email the guy who runs
                      it, and ask nicely, and he's in the mood, he might write up and record
                      something new or special for you, particularly if it's a glaring omission in
                      his current selection. He said no. But it's a great resource.

                      ~Mer
                      [podcast to follow]

                      On 4/1/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:

                      > It was 1 Apr 2007, when Braindouche! commented:
                      >
                      > > Do any of you, anywhere, have *any* ideas where I could look for music
                      > even
                      > > vaguely related to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, or Lawrence Welk?
                      > > want something retro, shuffling, perferably brassy, unthreatening, and
                      > more
                      > > than anything else, it needs to be milquetoast suburban 1960's music for
                      > > middleclass white people. I'm desperate. I'll even pay for it, if you
                      > > happen to know of a library music company that will work with a
                      > podcaster
                      > > on a very limited budget and cannot for the foreseeable future pay
                      > > royalties.
                      >
                      > Kevin MacLeod, <http://www.incompetech.com>. Wide variety of music,
                      > including what I'm currently using for my show.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
                      > Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                      > A minor local celebrity's fifteen minutes of
                      > fame

                    • Harold Johnson
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 8, 2007
                        Family legend has it that grandfather worked with Mr. Alpert briefly. I'm
                        not entirely certain in what respect, though -- my gramps was a private
                        investigator, but he also played some guitar...

                        Harold
                        "Zorba the Greek"
                        http//somethingthathappened.com

                        On 3/31/07, Braindouche! <podcast@...> wrote:

                        > Hey folks,
                        >
                        > I've been bashing my head against this problem for months. I found a
                        > song that would be a perfect theme song for my yet-unreleased podcast
                        > -- the song "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", from the Going Places
                        > album by Herb Alpert. Of course, I can't use it... I even asked the
                        > record company that Alpert uses, and they sent me a very polite, but
                        > unequivocal, no.
                        >
                        > So, of course, everything that I find won't be as good, since i've
                        > already found "the perfect song". I've been plugging away at the
                        > internet to find something in a similar vein to that song, and I've
                        > made a startling discovery: THere appears to be only one artist in the
                        > english-speaking world willing to admit on the internet that they make
                        > big band american mariachi music a la the Tijuana Brass. His name is
                        > Amante. His music could really work well for me, even if it isn't
                        > Perfect. He also said no.
                        >
                        > Do any of you, anywhere, have *any* ideas where I could look for music
                        > even vaguely related to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, or Lawrence
                        > Welk? I want something retro, shuffling, perferably brassy,
                        > unthreatening, and more than anything else, it needs to be milquetoast
                        > suburban 1960's music for middleclass white people. I'm desperate.
                        > I'll even pay for it, if you happen to know of a library music company
                        > that will work with a podcaster on a very limited budget and cannot
                        > for the foreseeable future pay royalties.
                        >
                        > Thank you all so very much in advance, my potential hero's to whom I
                        > shall be indebted,
                        > Mer
                        > [podcast to follow]

                      • Harold Johnson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 8, 2007
                          I should also have mentioned that you might find some help by tapping some
                          of the members of the Association of Music Podcasting at
                          http://musicpodcasting.org such as the podcaster of The Jazz Suite:

                          http://thejazzsuite.mypodcasts.net/

                          Harold

                          On 7/8/07, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

                          > Family legend has it that grandfather worked with Mr. Alpert briefly. I'm
                          > not entirely certain in what respect, though -- my gramps was a private
                          > investigator, but he also played some guitar...
                          >
                          > Harold
                          > "Zorba the Greek"
                          > http//somethingthathappened.com
                          >

                          > On 3/31/07, Braindouche! <podcast@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hey folks,
                          > >
                          > > I've been bashing my head against this problem for months. I found a
                          > > song that would be a perfect theme song for my yet-unreleased podcast
                          > > -- the song "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", from the Going Places
                          > > album by Herb Alpert. Of course, I can't use it... I even asked the
                          > > record company that Alpert uses, and they sent me a very polite, but
                          > > unequivocal, no.
                          > >
                          > > So, of course, everything that I find won't be as good, since i've
                          > > already found "the perfect song". I've been plugging away at the
                          > > internet to find something in a similar vein to that song, and I've
                          > > made a startling discovery: THere appears to be only one artist in the
                          > > english-speaking world willing to admit on the internet that they make
                          > > big band american mariachi music a la the Tijuana Brass. His name is
                          > > Amante. His music could really work well for me, even if it isn't
                          > > Perfect. He also said no.
                          > >
                          > > Do any of you, anywhere, have *any* ideas where I could look for music
                          > > even vaguely related to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, or Lawrence
                          > > Welk? I want something retro, shuffling, perferably brassy,
                          > > unthreatening, and more than anything else, it needs to be milquetoast
                          > > suburban 1960's music for middleclass white people. I'm desperate.
                          > > I'll even pay for it, if you happen to know of a library music company
                          > > that will work with a podcaster on a very limited budget and cannot
                          > > for the foreseeable future pay royalties.
                          > >
                          > > Thank you all so very much in advance, my potential hero's to whom I
                          > > shall be indebted,
                          > > Mer
                          > > [podcast to follow]

                        • Steven R. Boyett
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 8, 2007
                            Think there's a chance you could get permission to use the theme music from
                            the old "The Dating Game"?

                            Steve Boyett
                            www.djsteveboy.com <http://www.djsteveboy.com/>
                            Podcasts: "Groovelectric" / "Podrunner"

                            _____

                            On 3/31/07, Braindouche! <podcast@braindouche
                            <mailto:podcast%40braindouche.net> .net> wrote:

                            > Hey folks,
                            >
                            > I've been bashing my head against this problem for months. I found a
                            > song that would be a perfect theme song for my yet-unreleased podcast
                            > -- the song "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", from the Going Places
                            > album by Herb Alpert. Of course, I can't use it... I even asked the
                            > record company that Alpert uses, and they sent me a very polite, but
                            > unequivocal, no.
                            >
                            > So, of course, everything that I find won't be as good, since i've
                            > already found "the perfect song". I've been plugging away at the
                            > internet to find something in a similar vein to that song, and I've
                            > made a startling discovery: THere appears to be only one artist in the
                            > english-speaking world willing to admit on the internet that they make
                            > big band american mariachi music a la the Tijuana Brass. His name is
                            > Amante. His music could really work well for me, even if it isn't
                            > Perfect. He also said no.
                            >
                            > Do any of you, anywhere, have *any* ideas where I could look for music
                            > even vaguely related to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, or Lawrence
                            > Welk? I want something retro, shuffling, perferably brassy,
                            > unthreatening, and more than anything else, it needs to be milquetoast
                            > suburban 1960's music for middleclass white people. I'm desperate.
                            > I'll even pay for it, if you happen to know of a library music company
                            > that will work with a podcaster on a very limited budget and cannot
                            > for the foreseeable future pay royalties.
                            >
                            > Thank you all so very much in advance, my potential hero's to whom I
                            > shall be indebted,
                            > Mer
                            > [podcast to follow]

                          • David Smith
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 9, 2007
                              I'm surprised I didn't see the original post on this.

                              Anyway, I got my current intro music from Kevin MacLeod
                              <http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/> and I suspect he'll have
                              something suitable, if you dig around there a bit. He's been known to
                              write music -for- podcasts, too, on request and/or for a fee. Ask him
                              about it, just mention my name, and he'll say "Who?"

                              FWIW, my theme music fits your discription, but you can't have it, so
                              there! :-)

                              It was 8 Jul 2007, when Harold Johnson commented:

                              > Family legend has it that grandfather worked with Mr. Alpert briefly. I'm
                              > not entirely certain in what respect, though -- my gramps was a private
                              > investigator, but he also played some guitar...
                              >
                              > Harold
                              > "Zorba the Greek"
                              > http//somethingthathappened.com
                              >

                              > On 3/31/07, Braindouche! <podcast@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hey folks,
                              > >
                              > > I've been bashing my head against this problem for months. I found a song
                              > > that would be a perfect theme song for my yet-unreleased podcast -- the
                              > > song "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", from the Going Places album by
                              > > Herb Alpert. Of course, I can't use it... I even asked the record company
                              > > that Alpert uses, and they sent me a very polite, but unequivocal, no.
                              > >
                              > > So, of course, everything that I find won't be as good, since i've
                              > > already found "the perfect song". I've been plugging away at the
                              > > internet to find something in a similar vein to that song, and I've
                              > > made a startling discovery: THere appears to be only one artist in the
                              > > english-speaking world willing to admit on the internet that they make
                              > > big band american mariachi music a la the Tijuana Brass. His name is
                              > > Amante. His music could really work well for me, even if it isn't
                              > > Perfect. He also said no.
                              > >
                              > > Do any of you, anywhere, have *any* ideas where I could look for music
                              > > even vaguely related to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, or Lawrence
                              > > Welk? I want something retro, shuffling, perferably brassy,
                              > > unthreatening, and more than anything else, it needs to be milquetoast
                              > > suburban 1960's music for middleclass white people. I'm desperate. I'll
                              > > even pay for it, if you happen to know of a library music company that
                              > > will work with a podcaster on a very limited budget and cannot for the
                              > > foreseeable future pay royalties.
                              > >
                              > > Thank you all so very much in advance, my potential hero's to whom I
                              > > shall be indebted, Mer [podcast to follow]
                              --

                              Grizzly's Growls Podcast: Talk and country music
                              <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> Delivered for free
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 13, 2007
                                I'm not sure what you mean -- is that Herb's music?

                                Harold

                                On 7/8/07, Steven R. Boyett <steve@...> wrote:

                                > Think there's a chance you could get permission to use the theme music
                                > from
                                > the old "The Dating Game"?
                                >
                                > Steve Boyett
                                > www.djsteveboy.com <http://www.djsteveboy.com/>
                                > Podcasts: "Groovelectric" / "Podrunner"
                                >

                                > _____

                              • Steven R. Boyett
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 13, 2007
                                  No. The Dating Game theme song was a blatant ripoff of Herb Alpert,
                                  especially from "Whipped Cream and Other Delights."

                                  _____

                                  On 7/8/07, Steven R. Boyett <steve@steveboy. <mailto:steve%40steveboy.com>
                                  com> wrote:

                                  > Think there's a chance you could get permission to use the theme music
                                  > from
                                  > the old "The Dating Game"?
                                  >
                                  > Steve Boyett
                                  > www.djsteveboy.com <http://www.djsteveb <http://www.djsteveboy.com/>
                                  oy.com/>
                                  > Podcasts: "Groovelectric" / "Podrunner"
                                  >

                                  > _____

                                • Harold Johnson
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 13, 2007
                                    Oh, okay. I'll remember that the next time I'm watching the Game Show
                                    Network...

                                    Harold

                                    On 7/13/07, Steven R. Boyett <steve@...> wrote:

                                    > No. The Dating Game theme song was a blatant ripoff of Herb Alpert,
                                    > especially from "Whipped Cream and Other Delights."
                                    >
                                    > _____

                                  • ronharpervoice
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 14, 2007
                                      Actually, Chuck Barris used Herb's music for his theme and incidental
                                      music in that show. It wasn't a "rip-off"

                                      Braindouche..if you contact me off list, I might have something. I
                                      have three different libraries I use for productions, I KNOW there's
                                      some retro in there.
                                      Best,
                                      Ron Harper

                                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold