Re: Ego vs being on a MISSION

  • Christine Fisher
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2007
      On 29 Mar 2007 01:57:10 -0700, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...>
      wrote:
      Why do you podcast? Is it just for the simple warm fuzzy ego boosts,
      or do you believe you're changing the world?...on a MISSION?

      I'm most definitely on a mission. So many childfree people I know spent a
      long time feeling very alone in their choice and their reasons for it.
      The most common new listener feedback I get is "I thought I was the only
      one!" I want them to find the (mostly) happy worldwide childfree
      community.

      There are thousands of voices pushing parenthood. I want want people to
      really think about the major lifechanging choice of having kids, to
      evaluate their capacity and wilingness to take on those responsibilities
      and sacrifices, not just the Kodak moments of our cultural default, and to
      realise that it isn't for everyone. Which really means I ought to write
      more promos and cast them in a wider net. *sigh*

      http://www.gettingby.net/index_files/TASCF-promo1.mp3 is my current promo
      (thanks to Mike M for the sound editing!). If anyone wants to suggest
      other promo ideas, I'd appreciate it.
      --
      Chris Fisher
      Skype: GettingByNet
      photography at www.gettingby.net
    • Michael W. Dean
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2007
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Fisher" <podcast@...> wrote:

        > On 29 Mar 2007 01:57:10 -0700, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...>
        > wrote:
        > Why do you podcast? Is it just for the simple warm fuzzy ego boosts,
        > or do you believe you're changing the world?...on a MISSION?
        >
        > I'm most definitely on a mission......
        > There are thousands of voices pushing parenthood. I want people to
        > really think about the major lifechanging choice of having kids, to
        > evaluate their capacity and wilingness to take on those responsibilities
        > and sacrifices, not just the Kodak moments.....
        =====

        WOW! Listening now, and loving it, with the wife. (we're parents, but
        kids are adults, out of the house, and we got married in our 40s.
        Loving it.) We've subscribed, and will be recommending you on both our
        podcasts next week.

        I am also a fixed kitty, got fixed 8 years ago (when I lifed in
        Frisko. Got it done, in Marin, at Planned Parenthood, for free.
        Interesting too....they made me come back three times, to make sure I
        "really wanted it." Reminded me of a waiting period to buy a gun.

        I told the lady at Planned Parenthood "I think they should make you
        have three interviews to have kids, and spay and neuter people on
        street corners for free with no wait." She agreed.

        Debra Jean tried to get fixed 23 years ago, in the hospital after
        having her second child, and they wouldn't do it. Told her "What if
        you change your mind????"

        Kids are nifty, but the world population has doubled in my life time,
        and that's causing a lot of the problems.

        And there's something damn nifty about being a child-free couple in
        love. Sleep in late, more time, more money, etc. The wife is sitting
        next to me editing a podcast, I've taught her how, and we realize if
        we had toddlers they'red be no time and no quiet for that.

        They used to give people a free transistor radio in India for getting
        fixed. I think they should start doing this again in the US, and give
        people an iPod for getting fixed.

        Episode 0030 of Clone The Homeless http://www.clonethehomeless.com/
        is mostly us walking around a mall muttering to ourselves, "BAAAAH!
        Childeren! EWEEEEEEEEE" for about an hour.

        MWD
        P/s, I love this:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_modest_proposal