Where do you customize your rss feed?

  • mbritt1216
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2007
      In an attempt to get more visibility for my site, I've been paying attention to my rss feed to
      see if I've got the right search terms, keywords, etc. I'm a little confused about something
      though. Here's the background: I started my blog on Wordpress.com, then purchased my
      domain name and hosting from Dreamhost. I moved the Wordpress blog over to
      Dreamhost, then created my feed at Feedburner. I host the actual mp3 files at Libsyn.
      Here's the issue: I noticed that I can tweak my rss feed at both Feedburner and Libsyn.
      How could that be? Which "tweaks" to the rss feed take precedence over the other? At
      which site should I do the tweaking?

      PS: thanks for all the very helpful info I got from members regarding podcasting and fair
      use. Excellent resources - I haven't had time to read them all, but I've bookmarked them
      all. Thanks again!

      Michael Britt
      michael.britt@...

      The Psych Files
      Psychological theory in everyday life.
      http://www.thepsychfiles.com
    • Shawn Thorpe
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
        On 31 Mar 2007 09:30:34 -0700, mbritt1216 <michael.britt@...>
        wrote:

        > In an attempt to get more visibility for my site, I've been paying
        > attention to my rss feed to
        > see if I've got the right search terms, keywords, etc. I'm a little
        > confused about something
        > though. Here's the background: I started my blog on Wordpress.com, then
        > purchased my
        > domain name and hosting from Dreamhost. I moved the Wordpress blog over to
        >
        > Dreamhost, then created my feed at Feedburner. I host the actual mp3 files
        > at Libsyn.
        > Here's the issue: I noticed that I can tweak my rss feed at both
        > Feedburner and Libsyn.
        > How could that be? Which "tweaks" to the rss feed take precedence over the
        > other? At
        > which site should I do the tweaking?
        >
        > PS: thanks for all the very helpful info I got from members regarding
        > podcasting and fair
        > use. Excellent resources - I haven't had time to read them all, but I've
        > bookmarked them
        > all. Thanks again!
        >
        > Michael Britt
        > michael.britt@... <michael.britt%40thepsychfiles.com>
        >
        > The Psych Files
        > Psychological theory in everyday life.
        > http://www.thepsychfiles.com

        If you're pointing FeedBurner at your LibSyn feed, then I'd recommend
        editing the LibSyn feed, as FeedBurner should automatically "finalize" your
        feed for your subscribers. If you're pointing FeedBurner at your WordPress
        feed, then I'd recommend editing that feed. Keep in mind that you can
        simply use LibSyn as a "backend" host for your podcast files, and that you
        don't actually have to maintain a LibSyn blog.

        --
        -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
        Hyper Nonsense - Talk, comedy, music and more!

        Shawnogram - Content = life.
        http://www.shawnogram.com/

        Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
        http://www.phantompower.org/

      • mbritt1216
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
          I have to admit I don't know where my feedburner feed it pointing to. How/where do I find
          that out - somewhere in my Feedburner account I assume?

          Michael

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Shawn Thorpe" <shawnogordo@...> wrote:

          > On 31 Mar 2007 09:30:34 -0700, mbritt1216 <michael.britt@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > In an attempt to get more visibility for my site, I've been paying
          > > attention to my rss feed to
          > > see if I've got the right search terms, keywords, etc. I'm a little
          > > confused about something
          > > though. Here's the background: I started my blog on Wordpress.com, then
          > > purchased my
          > > domain name and hosting from Dreamhost. I moved the Wordpress blog over to
          > >
          > > Dreamhost, then created my feed at Feedburner. I host the actual mp3 files
          > > at Libsyn.
          > > Here's the issue: I noticed that I can tweak my rss feed at both
          > > Feedburner and Libsyn.
          > > How could that be? Which "tweaks" to the rss feed take precedence over the
          > > other? At
          > > which site should I do the tweaking?
          > >
          > > PS: thanks for all the very helpful info I got from members regarding
          > > podcasting and fair
          > > use. Excellent resources - I haven't had time to read them all, but I've
          > > bookmarked them
          > > all. Thanks again!
          > >
          > > Michael Britt
          > > michael.britt@... <michael.britt%40thepsychfiles.com>
          > >
          > > The Psych Files
          > > Psychological theory in everyday life.
          > > http://www.thepsychfiles.com
          > >

          > If you're pointing FeedBurner at your LibSyn feed, then I'd recommend
          > editing the LibSyn feed, as FeedBurner should automatically "finalize" your
          > feed for your subscribers. If you're pointing FeedBurner at your WordPress
          > feed, then I'd recommend editing that feed. Keep in mind that you can
          > simply use LibSyn as a "backend" host for your podcast files, and that you
          > don't actually have to maintain a LibSyn blog.
          >
          > --
          > -Shawn "Shawno Gordo" Thorpe
          > Hyper Nonsense - Talk, comedy, music and more!
          > http://www.hypernonsense.com/
          >
          > Shawnogram - Content = life.
          > http://www.shawnogram.com/
          >
          > Phantom Power Media - Bloggy, podcasty
          > http://www.phantompower.org/

        • Shawn Thorpe
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
            On 01 Apr 2007 04:13:36 -0700, mbritt1216 <michael.britt@...>
            wrote:

            > I have to admit I don't know where my feedburner feed it pointing to.
            > How/where do I find
            > that out - somewhere in my Feedburner account I assume?
            >
            > Michael
            > michael,britt@... <britt%40thepsychfiles.com>
            >
            > The Psych Files
            > Psychological theory in everyday life.
            > http://www.thepsychfiles.com

            Log into your Feedburner account. Click the name of your feed to get to the
            part of the site where you can make changes. Click on the "Edit feed
            details" link and look at the field next to "Original Feed." That'll tell
            you where your FeedBurner feed is pointing.