Re: [podcasters] Average number of subscribers???

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 30, 2007
      On 3/30/07, kscolligan <kscolligan@...> wrote:

      > I'm a new podcaster -- with two episodes of WellToldTales.com under my
      > belt -- and I'm wondering about the average number of subscribers for
      > podcasts.
      >
      > I've got 36 subscribers so far.

      As one of the 36 subscribers, I should mention that these really are
      good stories. I thought "The Hand of God" was a terrific tale, with a
      great central character. Some audio issues need work, but you're only
      two episodes in, that'll all get better. (It definitely sounds better
      than EP did in the beginning.) >8->

      Get at least five episodes under your belt, then send me a promo.
      I'll talk this up.

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • robert
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 30, 2007
        Hi Kevin,

        Feedburner up until about 3 months ago used to list on their site the
        number of Subscriptions to Podcasts along with the number of Podcast
        feeds (which they still do and the number is now at 99,885).

        Doing the simple math - the average number of subscriptions per feed
        hovered right at about 76 for podcasts.

        If you assume about half of the feeds are dead or duplicates - Then
        one could assume the average podcast has about 150 subscribers, if
        75% are dead - then the number is 300. I tend to think the number is
        in the 150 to 200 range.

        I know people with 100 subscribers that are happy as all can be to
        get that many, and I know others at 1,500 that sound like they want
        to take a bottle of pills because they are so depressed.

        I would concentrate more on making a show you enjoy yourself and the
        numbers will work themselves out on their own.

        Don't become a stat junkie - it will suck the life out of you.

        Ok off to check my libsyn stats for the 3rd time today.

        Rob W
        podCast411

        On Mar 30, 2007, at 3:42 PM, kscolligan wrote:

        > Hi there,
        >
        > I'm a new podcaster -- with two episodes of WellToldTales.com under my
        > belt -- and I'm wondering about the average number of subscribers for
        > podcasts.
        >
        > I've got 36 subscribers so far.
        >
        > I think that's decent for two weeks (especially since WTT is not yet
        > listed in the iTunes store) but I really have no idea.
        >
        > Does anyone know ballpark figures for average subscription numbers?
        >
        > What do the big boys get? Thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of
        > thousands?
        >
        > And what about your average mom-and-pop podcast?
        >
        > Just curious, and couldn't seem to Google up accurate numbers.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Kevin
        >
        > *******************
        > Well Told Tales
        > short-fiction podcast
        >
        > Site: http://WellToldTales.com
        > Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/WellToldTales

      • Dan Kuykendall
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 30, 2007
          kscolligan wrote:
          > Hi there,
          >
          > I'm a new podcaster -- with two episodes of WellToldTales.com under my
          > belt -- and I'm wondering about the average number of subscribers for
          > podcasts.

          No such thing that I have ever been able to figure out. There are too
          many ways to try and figure this out. Even feed stats and download stats
          are somewhat meaningless because they only tell you how many times your
          contect was requested. Not even if the file was fully downloaded. And if
          downloaded has no way to determine if a human ever took the time to listen.

          > I've got 36 subscribers so far.

          37 now, Ive just subscribe, and it sounds like your off to a good start

          > I think that's decent for two weeks (especially since WTT is not yet
          > listed in the iTunes store) but I really have no idea.

          It really is a good start. It takes time to build up an audience.

          > What do the big boys get? Thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of
          > thousands?

          Im not one of them, so not sure.

          > And what about your average mom-and-pop podcast?

          After about a year doing my podcast, Im up to about 1300 downloads per
          most episodes. My hands on series episodes get closer to 3000, which Im
          guessing is due to people listening on line multiple times to be able to
          follow along with the actual hacks I setup for them/

          ----
          Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
          http://www.mightyseek.com

          In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
          Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.
        • George L Smyth
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 31, 2007
            Just thought I'd make note at this point the program I wrote, which is placed
            at http://oneminutehowto.com/FeedburnerStats.asp

            If you use Feedburner and have your Awareness turned on, this program will
            produce a graphical display of your numbers, where each value is the average
            number of downloads over the previous ten days (or whatever value you wish to
            give it). This will create a smoother display which will make it a bit easier
            to see your trends over time.

            Cheers -

            george

            Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
            DRiP Investing: http://DRiPInvesting.org - Blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/PrudentInvestor

            Handmade Photographic Images: http://www.GLSmyth.com - Blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/GLSmyth
          • kscolligan
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
              Thanks, Steve! Very nice of you.

              I'll start listening to promos like crazy to get the hang of making one.