Re: [podcasters] How do you gracefully miss a regular show?

  • Evo Terra
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2007
      Flyswatter wrote:

      > Normally my partner and I do Rockypod each week on Thursdays and I
      > work almost all night trying to get it up by Friday morning because my
      > computer is dreadfully slow. I then edit it, take little catnaps while
      > it is Levelating and rendering, etc., wake back up, re-listen to make
      > sure and write and type up shownotes, upload, create art, etc.

      Step One: change that. Give yourself more time. Lots more time. If
      you've built an audience expectation of getting the show out Friday
      morning, I'd highly recommend giving your self all Thursday night to do
      all the editing. Which probably means that you need to do your recording
      on Wednesday. My dates are arbitrary and it assumes you have other
      pressing matters to attend during the day. But don't kill yourself over
      this stuff. Or move your anticipated live date to something more realistic.

      > I've already done a blog post but most of our
      > listeners are subscribers and would never think to look there.

      Assuming that most of your subscribers are on iTunes, you are correct --
      they'll never see a blog post. If it were me, I'd record a quick episode
      saying "this weeks show isn't going to happen, and we're moving the post
      date to Monday. Deal."

      They will. :)

      E.

      --
      Evo Terra | Podiobooks.com
      Free serialized audio books, delivered on your schedule.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2007
        It was 30 Mar 2007, when Flyswatter commented:

        > I could record something really quickly (I've done that before when my
        > partner was sick or had an emergency) and just put it up on the feed, but
        > since I don't know what to say, I don't know what to do! What would you
        > suggest? I've already done a blog post but most of our listeners are
        > subscribers and would never think to look there.

        You could try what CNetBuzz did a while back when they had to miss an
        episode -- they recorded a non-podcast podcast, as in Episode <mumble> on
        <mumble> date, and even included the standard tech comments they each
        always make. And you explain in the 'cast that while you didn't want to
        disappoint your audience with -no- show, you also didn't want to
        disappoint with a -bad- show just because you were both too worn out to
        think clearly. And follow up with a good show next time that lives up to
        your estimable standards.

        These things happen to Real People. Your audience will understand.

        Or so I was told, when I thought I'd miss a show a couple weeks back.

        --
        Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
        Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1 8:25 PM
          The problem with the day we record does not originate with me. My
          partner goes to college at night and thus has only Thursday free. My
          goal is to have the show up by Friday night because Rocky Horror
          shadowcasts almost always perform on Friday or Saturday nights and
          they want to get their fix before they go on. They or their audience
          are the ones writing notes to us to hurry with the show.

          Ah well, at least people are listening--I can't complain. It's a niche
          group but very dedicated.

          Laura