Re: [podcasters] Re: Average number of subscribers???

  • MissPeter
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 30, 2007
      On 30 Mar 2007 19:30:14 -0700, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
      > It shouldn't be confused with download counts, or audience size, or
      > anything else. It will always be lower than your number of downloads,
      > and doesn't necessarily correlate at all with your number of human
      > listeners. (For which there is no tracking method short of
      > omniscience.)

      I agree and would add that your subscribers to downloads ratio is also
      factored by what kind of show you produce. I do a music show geared
      toward people with eccentric tastes in music and my subscribers only
      amount to about 10% of my total downloads. A lot of music geeks are
      cherry pickers with hard drives full of music and limited space left
      for automatic downloads. Even my regular listeners pick and choose
      what shows they download and my numbers can bounce wildly up and down
      by thousands of downloads each show. So I've just tried to learn my
      audience and realized that my most is important figure is average
      downloads over a several month period. This is the number I watch
      because of my show and I'm sure shows about Linux learn to not watch
      iTunes subscribers as closely but shows about podcasting might have
      subscribers as their most important number. So, just watch all your
      numbers for a few months until you get a feel for what's important.

      http://www.musicNerve.com - strange music for strange people

      http://digg.com/podcasts/musicNerve_com_strange_music_for_strange_people
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 30, 2007
        On 3/30/07, kscolligan <kscolligan@...> wrote:

        > I'm a new podcaster -- with two episodes of WellToldTales.com under my
        > belt -- and I'm wondering about the average number of subscribers for
        > podcasts.
        >
        > I've got 36 subscribers so far.

        As one of the 36 subscribers, I should mention that these really are
        good stories. I thought "The Hand of God" was a terrific tale, with a
        great central character. Some audio issues need work, but you're only
        two episodes in, that'll all get better. (It definitely sounds better
        than EP did in the beginning.) >8->

        Get at least five episodes under your belt, then send me a promo.
        I'll talk this up.

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • robert
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 30, 2007
          Hi Kevin,

          Feedburner up until about 3 months ago used to list on their site the
          number of Subscriptions to Podcasts along with the number of Podcast
          feeds (which they still do and the number is now at 99,885).

          Doing the simple math - the average number of subscriptions per feed
          hovered right at about 76 for podcasts.

          If you assume about half of the feeds are dead or duplicates - Then
          one could assume the average podcast has about 150 subscribers, if
          75% are dead - then the number is 300. I tend to think the number is
          in the 150 to 200 range.

          I know people with 100 subscribers that are happy as all can be to
          get that many, and I know others at 1,500 that sound like they want
          to take a bottle of pills because they are so depressed.

          I would concentrate more on making a show you enjoy yourself and the
          numbers will work themselves out on their own.

          Don't become a stat junkie - it will suck the life out of you.

          Ok off to check my libsyn stats for the 3rd time today.

          Rob W
          podCast411

          On Mar 30, 2007, at 3:42 PM, kscolligan wrote:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > I'm a new podcaster -- with two episodes of WellToldTales.com under my
          > belt -- and I'm wondering about the average number of subscribers for
          > podcasts.
          >
          > I've got 36 subscribers so far.
          >
          > I think that's decent for two weeks (especially since WTT is not yet
          > listed in the iTunes store) but I really have no idea.
          >
          > Does anyone know ballpark figures for average subscription numbers?
          >
          > What do the big boys get? Thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of
          > thousands?
          >
          > And what about your average mom-and-pop podcast?
          >
          > Just curious, and couldn't seem to Google up accurate numbers.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Kevin
          >
          > *******************
          > Well Told Tales
          > short-fiction podcast
          >
          > Site: http://WellToldTales.com
          > Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/WellToldTales

        • Dan Kuykendall
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 30, 2007
            kscolligan wrote:
            > Hi there,
            >
            > I'm a new podcaster -- with two episodes of WellToldTales.com under my
            > belt -- and I'm wondering about the average number of subscribers for
            > podcasts.

            No such thing that I have ever been able to figure out. There are too
            many ways to try and figure this out. Even feed stats and download stats
            are somewhat meaningless because they only tell you how many times your
            contect was requested. Not even if the file was fully downloaded. And if
            downloaded has no way to determine if a human ever took the time to listen.

            > I've got 36 subscribers so far.

            37 now, Ive just subscribe, and it sounds like your off to a good start

            > I think that's decent for two weeks (especially since WTT is not yet
            > listed in the iTunes store) but I really have no idea.

            It really is a good start. It takes time to build up an audience.

            > What do the big boys get? Thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of
            > thousands?

            Im not one of them, so not sure.

            > And what about your average mom-and-pop podcast?

            After about a year doing my podcast, Im up to about 1300 downloads per
            most episodes. My hands on series episodes get closer to 3000, which Im
            guessing is due to people listening on line multiple times to be able to
            follow along with the actual hacks I setup for them/

            ----
            Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)
            http://www.mightyseek.com

            In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
            Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software.
          • George L Smyth
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 31, 2007
              Just thought I'd make note at this point the program I wrote, which is placed
              at http://oneminutehowto.com/FeedburnerStats.asp

              If you use Feedburner and have your Awareness turned on, this program will
              produce a graphical display of your numbers, where each value is the average
              number of downloads over the previous ten days (or whatever value you wish to
              give it). This will create a smoother display which will make it a bit easier
              to see your trends over time.

              Cheers -

              george

              Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
              DRiP Investing: http://DRiPInvesting.org - Blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/PrudentInvestor

              Handmade Photographic Images: http://www.GLSmyth.com - Blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/GLSmyth
            • kscolligan
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 2, 2007
                Thanks, Steve! Very nice of you.

                I'll start listening to promos like crazy to get the hang of making one.