How do you gracefully miss a regular show?

  • Flyswatter
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30 5:55 PM
      Normally my partner and I do Rockypod each week on Thursdays and I
      work almost all night trying to get it up by Friday morning because my
      computer is dreadfully slow. I then edit it, take little catnaps while
      it is Levelating and rendering, etc., wake back up, re-listen to make
      sure and write and type up shownotes, upload, create art, etc. It's
      exhausting, and because I had to work late Thursday, I begged off. We
      agreed to record tonight, but I can't find him now--he was pretty
      tired-seeming at work today and might have gone home to crash.

      The thing is, we have a VERY dedicated audience who complain when the
      show is late. A while back, he and I agreed that if one of us couldn't
      do the show, nobody would do the show--otherwise I would call up a
      friend to stand in for him.

      I could record something really quickly (I've done that before when my
      partner was sick or had an emergency) and just put it up on the feed,
      but since I don't know what to say, I don't know what to do! What
      would you suggest? I've already done a blog post but most of our
      listeners are subscribers and would never think to look there.

      Laura Ross

      The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
      http://coffeeandteashow.com
      Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
      coffeeandteashow@...

      Rocky Horror Pod Show
      http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
      Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
      rockypod@...
    • Evo Terra
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30 10:05 PM
        Flyswatter wrote:

        > Normally my partner and I do Rockypod each week on Thursdays and I
        > work almost all night trying to get it up by Friday morning because my
        > computer is dreadfully slow. I then edit it, take little catnaps while
        > it is Levelating and rendering, etc., wake back up, re-listen to make
        > sure and write and type up shownotes, upload, create art, etc.

        Step One: change that. Give yourself more time. Lots more time. If
        you've built an audience expectation of getting the show out Friday
        morning, I'd highly recommend giving your self all Thursday night to do
        all the editing. Which probably means that you need to do your recording
        on Wednesday. My dates are arbitrary and it assumes you have other
        pressing matters to attend during the day. But don't kill yourself over
        this stuff. Or move your anticipated live date to something more realistic.

        > I've already done a blog post but most of our
        > listeners are subscribers and would never think to look there.

        Assuming that most of your subscribers are on iTunes, you are correct --
        they'll never see a blog post. If it were me, I'd record a quick episode
        saying "this weeks show isn't going to happen, and we're moving the post
        date to Monday. Deal."

        They will. :)

        E.

        --
        Evo Terra | Podiobooks.com
        Free serialized audio books, delivered on your schedule.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31 8:58 AM
          It was 30 Mar 2007, when Flyswatter commented:

          > I could record something really quickly (I've done that before when my
          > partner was sick or had an emergency) and just put it up on the feed, but
          > since I don't know what to say, I don't know what to do! What would you
          > suggest? I've already done a blog post but most of our listeners are
          > subscribers and would never think to look there.

          You could try what CNetBuzz did a while back when they had to miss an
          episode -- they recorded a non-podcast podcast, as in Episode <mumble> on
          <mumble> date, and even included the standard tech comments they each
          always make. And you explain in the 'cast that while you didn't want to
          disappoint your audience with -no- show, you also didn't want to
          disappoint with a -bad- show just because you were both too worn out to
          think clearly. And follow up with a good show next time that lives up to
          your estimable standards.

          These things happen to Real People. Your audience will understand.

          Or so I was told, when I thought I'd miss a show a couple weeks back.

          --
          Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
          Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
            The problem with the day we record does not originate with me. My
            partner goes to college at night and thus has only Thursday free. My
            goal is to have the show up by Friday night because Rocky Horror
            shadowcasts almost always perform on Friday or Saturday nights and
            they want to get their fix before they go on. They or their audience
            are the ones writing notes to us to hurry with the show.

            Ah well, at least people are listening--I can't complain. It's a niche
            group but very dedicated.

            Laura