Re: [podcasters] making notes for podcasts

  • Flyswatter
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2007
      That's a really good idea. I too always take a notebook around with me
      and write in it whenever I think of anything to talk about.

      On 30 Mar 2007 15:22:31 -0700, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

      > (Wondering if other people do this? It really helps us.)
      >
      > I make a few pages of one-liner notes throughout the week whenever
      > dollie or I say something that seems clever or podcastable. (When we
      > say something smart or cute during conversation, we usually say "You
      > can take that to the pod and cast it!", then type it into our "notes"
      > text file.
      >
      > Then when it's time to record, we print that out, and have it on our
      > laps to refer to during the cast.
      >
      > It's not a script, just a list of ideas to riff off of, but it helps a
      > lot.
      >
      > - Michael W. Dean
      >
      > "SUBMISSION AND COFFEE WITH DOLLIE LLAMA" (free BDSM podcast. No iPod
      > needed):
      > http://www.askdollie.com
      >
      > "Clone The Homeless"
      > Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
      > was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
      > http://www.clonethehomeless.com
      Laura Ross

      The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
      http://coffeeandteashow.com
      Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
      coffeeandteashow@...

      Rocky Horror Pod Show
      http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
      Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
      rockypod@...
    • David Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2007
        It was 30 Mar 2007, when Michael W. Dean commented:

        > (Wondering if other people do this? It really helps us.)
        >
        > I make a few pages of one-liner notes throughout the week whenever
        > dollie or I say something that seems clever or podcastable. (When we
        > say something smart or cute during conversation, we usually say "You
        > can take that to the pod and cast it!", then type it into our "notes"
        > text file.
        >
        > Then when it's time to record, we print that out, and have it on our
        > laps to refer to during the cast.
        >
        > It's not a script, just a list of ideas to riff off of, but it helps a lot.

        I tried exactly one episode without a script, which I think turned out
        well, and was told by one person they liked the scripted stuff better, so
        I'm back to doing scripts. I think it makes the show clearer, at least,
        though I think I tend to talk too quickly when working from a script.

        I like the idea of "talking points," as the political folks tend to call
        them. I suspect I could get away with more of that if I did more of a
        discussion with somebody else, rather than just me babbling. And it's a
        good idea, too, to note down ideas as they come during the week -- I make
        notes in my PDA on show ideas. For some reason, I end up writing something
        completely different, perhaps because the idea doesn't seem fresh enough.

        I think one of the speakers on Podcast Academy recommended that, too, for
        whatever that's worth. And it is a legitimate way of doing things that
        works well for some folks.

        --
        Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
        Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 30, 2007
          I use Delicious to mark links I want to discuss, which my guest, co-host, or
          what not, can refer to to research, and get their links from them. We then
          discuss them. As for posting to my site, if it is a long show with multiple
          topics, I will sometimes make a time stamped list of topics, other times I
          will just make a bulleted list. it depends on the flow of the show.

          --

          Dwight Wallbridge,
          Blogger, Photographer, Geek

          The Geek's Blog http://www.thegeeksblog.com/