making notes for podcasts

  • Michael W. Dean
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30 3:20 PM
      (Wondering if other people do this? It really helps us.)

      I make a few pages of one-liner notes throughout the week whenever
      dollie or I say something that seems clever or podcastable. (When we
      say something smart or cute during conversation, we usually say "You
      can take that to the pod and cast it!", then type it into our "notes"
      text file.

      Then when it's time to record, we print that out, and have it on our
      laps to refer to during the cast.

      It's not a script, just a list of ideas to riff off of, but it helps a
      lot.

      - Michael W. Dean

      "SUBMISSION AND COFFEE WITH DOLLIE LLAMA" (free BDSM podcast. No iPod
      needed):
      http://www.askdollie.com

      "Clone The Homeless"
      Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
      was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
      http://www.clonethehomeless.com
    • Flyswatter
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30 3:43 PM
        That's a really good idea. I too always take a notebook around with me
        and write in it whenever I think of anything to talk about.

        On 30 Mar 2007 15:22:31 -0700, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

        > (Wondering if other people do this? It really helps us.)
        >
        > I make a few pages of one-liner notes throughout the week whenever
        > dollie or I say something that seems clever or podcastable. (When we
        > say something smart or cute during conversation, we usually say "You
        > can take that to the pod and cast it!", then type it into our "notes"
        > text file.
        >
        > Then when it's time to record, we print that out, and have it on our
        > laps to refer to during the cast.
        >
        > It's not a script, just a list of ideas to riff off of, but it helps a
        > lot.
        >
        > - Michael W. Dean
        >
        > "SUBMISSION AND COFFEE WITH DOLLIE LLAMA" (free BDSM podcast. No iPod
        > needed):
        > http://www.askdollie.com
        >
        > "Clone The Homeless"
        > Michael W. Dean's podcast that remembers when sex was safe and music
        > was dangerous. (Free, and no iPod is needed to listen.)
        > http://www.clonethehomeless.com
        Laura Ross

        The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
        http://coffeeandteashow.com
        Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
        coffeeandteashow@...

        Rocky Horror Pod Show
        http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
        Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
        rockypod@...
      • David Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 30 5:31 PM
          It was 30 Mar 2007, when Michael W. Dean commented:

          > (Wondering if other people do this? It really helps us.)
          >
          > I make a few pages of one-liner notes throughout the week whenever
          > dollie or I say something that seems clever or podcastable. (When we
          > say something smart or cute during conversation, we usually say "You
          > can take that to the pod and cast it!", then type it into our "notes"
          > text file.
          >
          > Then when it's time to record, we print that out, and have it on our
          > laps to refer to during the cast.
          >
          > It's not a script, just a list of ideas to riff off of, but it helps a lot.

          I tried exactly one episode without a script, which I think turned out
          well, and was told by one person they liked the scripted stuff better, so
          I'm back to doing scripts. I think it makes the show clearer, at least,
          though I think I tend to talk too quickly when working from a script.

          I like the idea of "talking points," as the political folks tend to call
          them. I suspect I could get away with more of that if I did more of a
          discussion with somebody else, rather than just me babbling. And it's a
          good idea, too, to note down ideas as they come during the week -- I make
          notes in my PDA on show ideas. For some reason, I end up writing something
          completely different, perhaps because the idea doesn't seem fresh enough.

          I think one of the speakers on Podcast Academy recommended that, too, for
          whatever that's worth. And it is a legitimate way of doing things that
          works well for some folks.

          --
          Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
          Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 30 7:37 PM
            I use Delicious to mark links I want to discuss, which my guest, co-host, or
            what not, can refer to to research, and get their links from them. We then
            discuss them. As for posting to my site, if it is a long show with multiple
            topics, I will sometimes make a time stamped list of topics, other times I
            will just make a bulleted list. it depends on the flow of the show.

            --

            Dwight Wallbridge,
            Blogger, Photographer, Geek

            The Geek's Blog http://www.thegeeksblog.com/