OT: Mediawiki Inquiry

  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 28, 2007
      This is off topic, but the range of knowledge on this list makes it
      obvious for me to pick your collective brain...

      Does anyone know of a resource (book, website, etc) that will teach me
      how to do some customization to the MediaWiki scripts?

      What I want to do, specifically, is create a Wiki where...

      1) I'm the only one who can create, edit, or otherwise change or
      delete actual pages
      2) Only registered users can view the pages (including the discussion pages)
      3) Only registered users can use the discussion section of the pages.

      I can set up a basic mediawiki installation, and I understand
      rudimentary wiki formatting... but beyond that, I need guidance!

      Anyone know of a good resource?

      Thanks!

      --
      Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Consultant, Podcaster, Author

      MWS Media
      Podcast consultation, web
      hosting, and writing services
      for DIY, independent creators
      http://www.mwsmedia.com

      Podiobooks.com
      The original source of audio
      books in podcast form.
      http://www.podiobooks.com

      Podcasts:
      The DIY Endeavors Podcast
      http://www.podmotel.com/diyendeavors
      Five Minute Memoir
      http://www.fiveminutememoir.com
      Sonitotum
      http://www.mattselznick.com

      Books:
      "Brave Men Run - A Novel of the
      Sovereign Era"
      http://www.bravemenrun.com
    • Matthew Wayne Selznick

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 28, 2007
                    Matthew Wayne Selznick wrote:

                    > This is off topic, but the range of knowledge on this list makes it
                    > obvious for me to pick your collective brain...
                    >
                    > Does anyone know of a resource (book, website, etc) that will teach me
                    > how to do some customization to the MediaWiki scripts?
                    >
                    > What I want to do, specifically, is create a Wiki where...
                    >
                    > 1) I'm the only one who can create, edit, or otherwise change or
                    > delete actual pages
                    > 2) Only registered users can view the pages (including the discussion
                    > pages)
                    > 3) Only registered users can use the discussion section of the pages.
                    >
                    > I can set up a basic mediawiki installation, and I understand
                    > rudimentary wiki formatting.. . but beyond that, I need guidance!
                    >
                    > Anyone know of a good resource?
                    >
                    > Thanks!

                    Matt,

                    I have done this with MediaWiki, but I did it only by googling around
                    the words "lock down" and "Mediawiki" and so forth. I found a lot of
                    customization code to put in your CFG file. I am sure, however, someone
                    more knowledgeable can help you better. Just thought I'd throw this out
                    here as I had a lot of struggle even getting to that point!

                    ...Sam
                  • Jacek Artymiak
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 28, 2007
                      Try PmWiki or MoinMoin. MediaWiki is a big thing to manage. If you
                      absolutely need to use it, start with this resource:

                      http://jrandomhacker.info/MediaWiki_security

                      Jacek Artymiak
                      RadioBSD.com

                    • Jacek Artymiak

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 28, 2007
                                On 3/28/07, Matthew Wayne Selznick <mwselznick@...> wrote:

                                > What I want to do, specifically, is create a Wiki where...
                                >
                                > 1) I'm the only one who can create, edit, or otherwise change or
                                > delete actual pages
                                > 2) Only registered users can view the pages (including the discussion pages)
                                > 3) Only registered users can use the discussion section of the pages.

                                I remember finding some hacking tips a long while back for permissions
                                and restrictions on the software's help site
                                (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents).

                                However, if those are your core requirements, I have to wonder: are
                                you sure MediaWiki's the right platform? There are other wiki
                                solutions (e.g. TWiki at http://www.twiki.org) where access control is
                                more integral. Or you may not need a wiki at all; a more structured
                                CMS like Joomla or Drupal could do the trick.

                                Feel free to Skype me if you want. If I can help out, I will.

                                http://www.escapepod.org
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 28, 2007

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 28, 2007

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 28, 2007

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 28, 2007
                                        On 3/28/07, Matthew Wayne Selznick <mwselznick@...> wrote:

                                        > What I want to do, specifically, is create a Wiki where...
                                        >
                                        > 1) I'm the only one who can create, edit, or otherwise change or
                                        > delete actual pages
                                        > 2) Only registered users can view the pages (including the discussion pages)
                                        > 3) Only registered users can use the discussion section of the pages.

                                        I remember finding some hacking tips a long while back for permissions
                                        and restrictions on the software's help site
                                        (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents).

                                        However, if those are your core requirements, I have to wonder: are
                                        you sure MediaWiki's the right platform? There are other wiki
                                        solutions (e.g. TWiki at http://www.twiki.org) where access control is
                                        more integral. Or you may not need a wiki at all; a more structured
                                        CMS like Joomla or Drupal could do the trick.

                                        Feel free to Skype me if you want. If I can help out, I will.

                                        http://www.escapepod.org
                                      • dcolanduno
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 29, 2007
                                          I'm with Steve on this one. I think something like Drupal might be
                                          your best bet. I am about to wade into developing some stuff in Drupal
                                          and from what I've done so far I like it.

                                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

                                          > more integral. Or you may not need a wiki at all; a more structured
                                          > CMS like Joomla or Drupal could do the trick.
                                          >
                                          > Feel free to Skype me if you want. If I can help out, I will.
                                          >

                                          > --
                                          > Have Fun,
                                          > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
                                          > http://www.escapepod.org

                                        • Matthew Wayne Selznick
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 29, 2007
                                            Thanks everybody -- I played with Drupal a long time ago (used it for one
                                            incarnation of the mwsmedia.com site) and I checked out some of the other
                                            links (MoinMoin appears to be a dead.)

                                            I may go with DokuWiki, which I've used privately before... Drupal is cool,
                                            but it's almost *more* than what I need, and creating a template to get away
                                            from the Drupally look isn't something I want to spend too much time on.

                                            Just wanted to acknowledge everyone -- and by all means, keep the
                                            suggestions coming, folks!_

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 29, 2007
                                              Matthew Wayne Selznick wrote:

                                              > Thanks everybody -- I played with Drupal a long time ago (used it for one
                                              > incarnation of the mwsmedia.com site) and I checked out some of the other
                                              > links (MoinMoin appears to be a dead.)
                                              >
                                              > I may go with DokuWiki, which I've used privately before... Drupal is
                                              > cool,
                                              > but it's almost *more* than what I need, and creating a template to
                                              > get away
                                              > from the Drupally look isn't something I want to spend too much time on.
                                              >
                                              > Just wanted to acknowledge everyone -- and by all means, keep the
                                              > suggestions coming, folks!_

                                              I'm using tiki wiki for my Heart of the Hunter audiobook and game wiki -
                                              http://magicalcountry.com/tw/ - it works very well and is exactly what i
                                              was looking for in security and user access control.

                                              ...Sam