Re: [podcasters] Re: New Setup - Limited to $400

  • Paul Puri
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007
      On 3/3/07, JM Campbell <geek4x4@...> wrote:

      > So, I shouldn't have got the $250 pair, I have? Man I got ripped.
      > Seriously, when I started I tried a basic pair of headphones. and my
      > podcast sounded fine to me. as I was upgrading I got a moderately
      > priced pair and I started hearing all the little noises I was missing.
      > Then I finally got the Beyerdynamics and again I heard so much more.
      > Each step up in price was a marked difference in sound quality. So,
      > take Steve Eley oft repeated advice make your first big spend on a
      > good set of headphones.

      First of all, I was not addressing you. I was addressing the OP, who said he
      has only $400 to spend on a mic and interface. My suggestion was to try to
      fit a decent pair of headphones in that budget. If you think he should spend
      $250 on headphones, and use the rest for the mic and interface, heck, your
      the man. So JM, what mic and interface would you get for $150?

      I'm waiting.....

      ;>)

      Paul Puri
      A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
      http://podmotel.com

      My gear recommendations:
      http://podsafegear.com

      Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
      The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
      http://podcastguild.com/

      Promotion without shame.
      Podcasting Announcements

    • JM Campbell
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Puri" <paulpuri@...> wrote:

        > On 3/3/07, JM Campbell <geek4x4@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > So, I shouldn't have got the $250 pair, I have? Man I got ripped.
        > > Seriously, when I started I tried a basic pair of headphones.
        and my
        > > podcast sounded fine to me. as I was upgrading I got a moderately
        > > priced pair and I started hearing all the little noises I was
        missing.
        > > Then I finally got the Beyerdynamics and again I heard so much
        more.
        > > Each step up in price was a marked difference in sound quality.
        So,
        > > take Steve Eley oft repeated advice make your first big spend on
        > > good set of headphones.
        >

        > First of all, I was not addressing you. I was addressing the OP,
        who said he
        > has only $400 to spend on a mic and interface. My suggestion was
        to try to
        > fit a decent pair of headphones in that budget. If you think he
        should spend
        > $250 on headphones, and use the rest for the mic and interface,
        heck, your
        > the man. So JM, what mic and interface would you get for $150?
        >
        > I'm waiting.....

        I bought all of my stuff retail, no internet specials so you could
        probably do better than I did for the same money. I would probably
        aim around 150 for the headphones. a behringer 802 was 60 at my
        local guitarcenter (horrible overpriced store) I got a xitel inport
        for $50 from best buy (an excellent, very clean input that just
        takes RCA in and usb out), a shure SM57 mic for 99bucks. shop around
        and you can find these at cheaper prices, whatever your setup, plan
        to spend around another $40 for all the cables you need for your set
        up. shop around and you get it about $400

        -JMCampbell
        comicsradar.com
      • ghankstef
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2007

          > I bought all of my stuff retail, no internet specials so you could
          > probably do better than I did for the same money. I would probably
          > aim around 150 for the headphones. a behringer 802 was 60 at my
          > local guitarcenter (horrible overpriced store) I got a xitel inport
          > for $50 from best buy (an excellent, very clean input that just
          > takes RCA in and usb out), a shure SM57 mic for 99bucks. shop around
          > and you can find these at cheaper prices, whatever your setup, plan
          > to spend around another $40 for all the cables you need for your set
          > up. shop around and you get it about $400

          The problem with dynamic mics like the Shure SM57 is they need a
          really good preamp that can deliver a lot of gain without noise. The
          preamps in a lot of the audio interfaces in the $99 - $199 price range
          aren't always up to the task. That is why I like to suggest the MXL
          990 condenser mic at $60. Condenser mics deliver hotter levels. I'm
          going to do a podcast about this some time soon

          -Geoff
          http://digiaudio.blogspot.com