Re: [podcasters] Re: New Setup - Limited to $400

  • Paul Puri
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
      On 3/2/07, ghankstef <ghankstef@...> wrote:

      > There is more than one right answer, but maybe start looking at an MXL 990
      > condenser
      > mic $60 new - great buy for the money.
      >
      > Then Yamaha has a MW10 for $199 its a usb mixer for 4 mic preamps - two
      > have channel
      > inserts to use with a compressor
      >
      > That leaves you $140 for something else - maybe a nicer mic preamp
      > (Presonus TubPre
      > goes for $99) or a voice processor DBX 266xl runs $149
      >
      > There are mulitple good options but these are all solid choices

      Get yourself a good set of headphones. It is hard to properly mix without
      them. Spend between $50 to $100.

      Paul Puri
      A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
      http://podmotel.com

      My gear recommendations:
      http://podsafegear.com

      Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
      The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
      http://podcastguild.com/

      Promotion without shame.
      Podcasting Announcements

    • JM Campbell
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Puri" <paulpuri@...> wrote:

        > Get yourself a good set of headphones. It is hard to properly mix
        without
        > them. Spend between $50 to $100.

        So, I shouldn't have got the $250 pair, I have? Man I got ripped.
        Seriously, when I started I tried a basic pair of headphones. and my
        podcast sounded fine to me. as I was upgrading I got a moderately
        priced pair and I started hearing all the little noises I was missing.
        Then I finally got the Beyerdynamics and again I heard so much more.
        Each step up in price was a marked difference in sound quality. So,
        take Steve Eley oft repeated advice make your first big spend on a
        good set of headphones.

        -JMCampbell
        comicsradar.com
      • Paul Puri
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007
          On 3/3/07, JM Campbell <geek4x4@...> wrote:

          > So, I shouldn't have got the $250 pair, I have? Man I got ripped.
          > Seriously, when I started I tried a basic pair of headphones. and my
          > podcast sounded fine to me. as I was upgrading I got a moderately
          > priced pair and I started hearing all the little noises I was missing.
          > Then I finally got the Beyerdynamics and again I heard so much more.
          > Each step up in price was a marked difference in sound quality. So,
          > take Steve Eley oft repeated advice make your first big spend on a
          > good set of headphones.

          First of all, I was not addressing you. I was addressing the OP, who said he
          has only $400 to spend on a mic and interface. My suggestion was to try to
          fit a decent pair of headphones in that budget. If you think he should spend
          $250 on headphones, and use the rest for the mic and interface, heck, your
          the man. So JM, what mic and interface would you get for $150?

          I'm waiting.....

          ;>)

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Puri" <paulpuri@...> wrote:

            > On 3/3/07, JM Campbell <geek4x4@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > So, I shouldn't have got the $250 pair, I have? Man I got ripped.
            > > Seriously, when I started I tried a basic pair of headphones.
            and my
            > > podcast sounded fine to me. as I was upgrading I got a moderately
            > > priced pair and I started hearing all the little noises I was
            missing.
            > > Then I finally got the Beyerdynamics and again I heard so much
            more.
            > > Each step up in price was a marked difference in sound quality.
            So,
            > > take Steve Eley oft repeated advice make your first big spend on
            > > good set of headphones.
            >

            > First of all, I was not addressing you. I was addressing the OP,
            who said he
            > has only $400 to spend on a mic and interface. My suggestion was
            to try to
            > fit a decent pair of headphones in that budget. If you think he
            should spend
            > $250 on headphones, and use the rest for the mic and interface,
            heck, your
            > the man. So JM, what mic and interface would you get for $150?
            >
            > I'm waiting.....

            I bought all of my stuff retail, no internet specials so you could
            probably do better than I did for the same money. I would probably
            aim around 150 for the headphones. a behringer 802 was 60 at my
            local guitarcenter (horrible overpriced store) I got a xitel inport
            for $50 from best buy (an excellent, very clean input that just
            takes RCA in and usb out), a shure SM57 mic for 99bucks. shop around
            and you can find these at cheaper prices, whatever your setup, plan
            to spend around another $40 for all the cables you need for your set
            up. shop around and you get it about $400

            -JMCampbell
            comicsradar.com
          • ghankstef
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2007

              > I bought all of my stuff retail, no internet specials so you could
              > probably do better than I did for the same money. I would probably
              > aim around 150 for the headphones. a behringer 802 was 60 at my
              > local guitarcenter (horrible overpriced store) I got a xitel inport
              > for $50 from best buy (an excellent, very clean input that just
              > takes RCA in and usb out), a shure SM57 mic for 99bucks. shop around
              > and you can find these at cheaper prices, whatever your setup, plan
              > to spend around another $40 for all the cables you need for your set
              > up. shop around and you get it about $400

              The problem with dynamic mics like the Shure SM57 is they need a
              really good preamp that can deliver a lot of gain without noise. The
              preamps in a lot of the audio interfaces in the $99 - $199 price range
              aren't always up to the task. That is why I like to suggest the MXL
              990 condenser mic at $60. Condenser mics deliver hotter levels. I'm
              going to do a podcast about this some time soon

              -Geoff
              http://digiaudio.blogspot.com