Re: [podcasters] Looking for Equipment... not sure what I am looking for.

  • David Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007
      It was 1 Mar 2007, when Mike commented:

      > Are you confused yet? Here's the problem, I am getting my Skype setup
      > tweaked. I am playing with the idea of using the 3/4 second channel for
      > Skype (I have seen a couple articles lately on this). For those not
      > familiar with the setup. The mixer 3/4 output goes to the sound card and
      > the sound card out goes into a channel on the mixer (input). All channels
      > you want to go to Skype gets sent to 3/4 and the Skype input is not sent to
      > 3/4. Then 3/4 is sent to the main mix. (I hope I wrote this right).
      >
      > I have it working, but the problem is that the volume is too loud going to
      > Skype. If I turn it down on the mixer (the 3/4 slider), then my main mix
      > goes down and I can b hear anything. (My problem clear as mud?) So what I
      > am wondering is if there is a cheap way to "turn down the volume" outside
      > of the mixer before sending it to my PC. Our local Radio Shack had nothing
      > and I haven't visited any of the music stores in the area yet.

      What you need is an attenuating patch cord. I don't recall seeing one at
      Radio Shack in years. All that's different from any other patch cord,
      though, is a series resistor (on each channel) to drop some voltage.

      If you're comfortable with a soldering iron, should be easy to modify an
      existing patch cord. Resistor size I couldn't tell ya; been years since I
      did any such thing. Rather small works, IIRC. Could try a logarythmic
      (?) potentiometer instead, give you variable volume control.

      --
      Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
      Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>