Re: The recording room and condenser vs. dynamic

  • Karin
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 2 3:45 PM
      Hi

      I have bought a SeReflexion_filter, and it works great for speaks -
      one person only - must be great for song-recording

      http://www.seelectronics.com/rf.html

      And recently I spotted this one that is bigger and foldable

      http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm

      I guess foam and bedsheets are fine - but these look cooler ;-)

      Karin

      On Feb 27, 3:32 pm, Evo Terra <e...@...> wrote:
      > mbritt1216 wrote:
      > > In a magazine I saw some kind of
      > > shield that you can buy and put around your condenser mic - sort of a
      > > mini sound booth. Has anyone tried something like that? Any
      > > suggestions on my situation?
      >
      > Last I heard, Dan Klass stuck his mic in a milk crate lined with foam.
      > When I'm recoding from my office, I've been known to drape a blanket
      > over me and the mic or stack a bunch of pillows on-edge in front of me.
      > And the last reading I did for Escape Pod found me in the living room,
      > mic on the big fluffy chair. Now Steve's asked me to do the same
      > character... so it looks like I'll be dragging the equipment over there
      > again.
      >
      > Good thing it's just a laptop and a Snowball mic.
      >
      > E.
      >
      > --
      > Evo Terra | Podiobooks.com
      > Free serialized audio books, delivered on your schedule.
    • Paul Puri
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 2 4:57 PM
        On 3/2/07, Karin <karin.hoegh@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I have bought a SeReflexion_filter, and it works great for speaks -
        > one person only - must be great for song-recording
        >
        > http://www.seelectronics.com/rf.html
        >
        > And recently I spotted this one that is bigger and foldable
        >
        > http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm
        >
        > I guess foam and bedsheets are fine - but these look cooler ;-)

        These devices most likely use some sort of foam that has audio absorption
        qualities. They both have the same $300 price tag, so a bit much in my book.
        You could easily go buy a couple of pieces of 2 inch acoustical foam and
        build something similar, and it would probably cost under $60.00 to do it.
        The real trap device does sound better than the SE Reflexion model,
        according to the video demo.

        Paul Puri
        A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
        http://podmotel.com

        My gear recommendations:
        http://podsafegear.com

        Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
        The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
        http://podcastguild.com/

        Promotion without shame.
        Podcasting Announcements

      • David Smith
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 2 5:34 PM
          It was 1 Mar 2007, when Michael W. Dean commented:

          > And here's more:
          > http://www.casadellama.com/podpix/pod1.htm
          >

          > If you don't have an entire room to spare, you can do the same thing
          > with a closet. Think of it as a phone booth for calling the world.

          <DR_WHO_REFERENCE>

          Maybe more like a Tardis?

          </DR_WHO_REFERENCE>

          --
          Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
          Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 2 7:06 PM
            On 3/2/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:

            > <DR_WHO_REFERENCE>
            >
            > Maybe more like a Tardis?
            >
            > </DR_WHO_REFERENCE>

            Uhh, the Tardis would be a horrible place to record. Bigger on the inside
            ring a bell?

            The acoustics would be like a great big hall.

            ;>)

            Paul Puri
            A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
            http://podmotel.com

            My gear recommendations:
            http://podsafegear.com

            Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
            The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
            http://podcastguild.com/

            Promotion without shame.
            Podcasting Announcements

          • Evo Terra
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 2 7:27 PM
              Paul Puri wrote:
              > Uhh, the Tardis would be a horrible place to record. Bigger on the inside
              > ring a bell?
              >
              > The acoustics would be like a great big hall.

              In the main control room, sure. But what about that never ending
              wardrobe? Or the numerous additional rooms from back in the 80's? Surely
              one of those *must* have some sound absorbing characteristics.

              I'm not a scifi geek. Really I'm not.

              E.

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 2 7:35 PM
                On 3/2/07, Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:

                > In the main control room, sure. But what about that never ending
                > wardrobe? Or the numerous additional rooms from back in the 80's? Surely
                > one of those *must* have some sound absorbing characteristics.
                >
                > I'm not a scifi geek. Really I'm not.

                Oh sure. Start recording in the wardrobe, and next thing you know the
                cloister bell rings, and you gotta start all over. Or worse yet, something
                goes haywire and you end up on a planet that hates podcasting. No thanks.
                I'll stick to my studio at home!

                Paul Puri
                A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
                http://podmotel.com

                My gear recommendations:
                http://podsafegear.com

                Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
                The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
                http://podcastguild.com/

                Promotion without shame.
                Podcasting Announcements

              • Flyswatter
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 2 8:22 PM
                  On 3/2/07, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:

                  > On 3/2/07, Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > In the main control room, sure. But what about that never ending
                  > > wardrobe? Or the numerous additional rooms from back in the 80's? Surely
                  > > one of those *must* have some sound absorbing characteristics.
                  > >
                  > > I'm not a scifi geek. Really I'm not.
                  >
                  > Oh sure. Start recording in the wardrobe, and next thing you know the
                  > cloister bell rings, and you gotta start all over. Or worse yet, something
                  > goes haywire and you end up on a planet that hates podcasting. No thanks.
                  > I'll stick to my studio at home!

                  The geekitude! It burns! How it burns!

                  Laura Ross

                  The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
                  http://coffeeandteashow.com
                  Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
                  coffeeandteashow@...

                  Rocky Horror Pod Show
                  http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
                  Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
                  rockypod@...
                • David Smith
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 2 8:52 PM
                    It was 2 Mar 2007, when Paul Puri commented:

                    > On 3/2/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > <DR_WHO_REFERENCE>
                    > >
                    > > Maybe more like a Tardis?
                    > >
                    > > </DR_WHO_REFERENCE>
                    >

                    > Uhh, the Tardis would be a horrible place to record. Bigger on the inside
                    > ring a bell?
                    >
                    > The acoustics would be like a great big hall.
                    >
                    > ;>)

                    So you could maybe do an opera podcast?