Looking for Equipment... not sure what I am looking for.

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
      Are you confused yet? Here's the problem, I am getting my Skype setup
      tweaked. I am playing with the idea of using the 3/4 second channel for
      Skype (I have seen a couple articles lately on this). For those not familiar
      with the setup. The mixer 3/4 output goes to the sound card and the sound
      card out goes into a channel on the mixer (input). All channels you want to
      go to Skype gets sent to 3/4 and the Skype input is not sent to 3/4. Then
      3/4 is sent to the main mix. (I hope I wrote this right).

      I have it working, but the problem is that the volume is too loud going to
      Skype. If I turn it down on the mixer (the 3/4 slider), then my main mix
      goes down and I can b hear anything. (My problem clear as mud?) So what I am
      wondering is if there is a cheap way to "turn down the volume" outside of
      the mixer before sending it to my PC. Our local Radio Shack had nothing and
      I haven't visited any of the music stores in the area yet.

      --
      Mike Wills
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikewills

    • Rich
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
        On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 15:01 -0600, Mike wrote:

        I think you are doing what I've done all along to record skype calls.

        I'm using an older Mackie MS1202, typically with channels 1 and 2 for
        me and my podcast partner's mic inputs. I use Aux Send 1 to send signal
        from channels 1 and 2 out into the mic input of the PC. The output of
        the PC goes to any spare channel on the mixer, into the line input on
        that channel. As you pointed out, you don't "send" that channel to Aux
        Send 1.

        I use an external recorder to record our program. The stereo output of
        my Mackie goes into my Alesis Masterlink.

        I think Steve Eley had the right idea when he thought to do a piece
        about "understanding your mixer" because the routing options on a mixer
        even as basic as the Mackie 1202 are powerful if used correctly. In
        terms of studio signal flow, this sort of thing is pretty basic so I
        think it's important that people get a grasp of the power at their
        fingertips even with the simplest of mixers.

        Rich...

        --
        Bloodthirsty Vegetarians, www.bloodyveg.com

        Robust progressive conversation shared over a bottle of good wine,
        tempered with humor and independent music.

        > Are you confused yet? Here's the problem, I am getting my Skype setup
        > tweaked. I am playing with the idea of using the 3/4 second channel
        > for
        > Skype (I have seen a couple articles lately on this). For those not
        > familiar
        > with the setup. The mixer 3/4 output goes to the sound card and the
        > sound
        > card out goes into a channel on the mixer (input). All channels you
        > want to
        > go to Skype gets sent to 3/4 and the Skype input is not sent to 3/4.
        > Then
        > 3/4 is sent to the main mix. (I hope I wrote this right).
        >
        > I have it working, but the problem is that the volume is too loud
        > going to
        > Skype. If I turn it down on the mixer (the 3/4 slider), then my main
        > mix
        > goes down and I can b hear anything. (My problem clear as mud?) So
        > what I am
        > wondering is if there is a cheap way to "turn down the volume" outside
        > of
        > the mixer before sending it to my PC. Our local Radio Shack had
        > nothing and
        > I haven't visited any of the music stores in the area yet.
        >
        > --
        > Mike Wills
        > http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikewills
        > Blog - http://mikewills.name
        > Podcasts - http://podcastmike.com
      • David Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007
          It was 1 Mar 2007, when Mike commented:

          > Are you confused yet? Here's the problem, I am getting my Skype setup
          > tweaked. I am playing with the idea of using the 3/4 second channel for
          > Skype (I have seen a couple articles lately on this). For those not
          > familiar with the setup. The mixer 3/4 output goes to the sound card and
          > the sound card out goes into a channel on the mixer (input). All channels
          > you want to go to Skype gets sent to 3/4 and the Skype input is not sent to
          > 3/4. Then 3/4 is sent to the main mix. (I hope I wrote this right).
          >
          > I have it working, but the problem is that the volume is too loud going to
          > Skype. If I turn it down on the mixer (the 3/4 slider), then my main mix
          > goes down and I can b hear anything. (My problem clear as mud?) So what I
          > am wondering is if there is a cheap way to "turn down the volume" outside
          > of the mixer before sending it to my PC. Our local Radio Shack had nothing
          > and I haven't visited any of the music stores in the area yet.

          What you need is an attenuating patch cord. I don't recall seeing one at
          Radio Shack in years. All that's different from any other patch cord,
          though, is a series resistor (on each channel) to drop some voltage.

          If you're comfortable with a soldering iron, should be easy to modify an
          existing patch cord. Resistor size I couldn't tell ya; been years since I
          did any such thing. Rather small works, IIRC. Could try a logarythmic
          (?) potentiometer instead, give you variable volume control.

          --
          Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
          Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>