Re: Telephone interview hardware? - Running a phone through a mixer

  • kurt_armbruster
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2007
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Bill Marcy <wmarcy@...> wrote:

      > Hi People,
      >
      > I have found it necessary in the near future to do some
      telephone
      > interviews, can anyone recommend the hardware that is necessary to
      > record it? Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Bill

      Bill, I think I've found a way to run your phone through a mixing
      board!

      After doing some experimenting the other night, I was actually able
      to call out (and receive) over my land-line and cell phone!

      I was listening via my monitor headphones, and talking through my
      mic, all through my mixing board.

      The key is that you'll need a phone with a 2.5mm stereo jack for
      connecting a headset.

      It turns out that, on the stereo jack, the left channel is the mic,
      and the right channel is the speaker.

      So, all you need is a 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapter (stereo), and then a 3.5
      mm to stereo L&R either 1/4" or RCA coupler! (Or mix and match). The
      key is to make sure you pan each channel 100% Left and Right,
      respectively.

      You'll only hear your guest in one year, but it beats trying to
      record with skype!

      Here's a couple of pictures I shot of the setup, and the individual
      components.

      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/kurt-eh/setup.jpg

      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/kurt-eh/Mixersetup.jpg

      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/kurt-eh/closeupadapters.jpg

      I hope it's helpful.

      Kurt
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2007
        Wow... never really thought of that... problem being minutes used and
        battery.

        On 3/1/07, kurt_armbruster <kurt.eh@...> wrote:

        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Bill Marcy <wmarcy@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi People,
        > >
        > > I have found it necessary in the near future to do some
        > telephone
        > > interviews, can anyone recommend the hardware that is necessary to
        > > record it? Thanks in advance.
        > >
        > > Bill
        > >

        > Bill, I think I've found a way to run your phone through a mixing
        > board!
        >
        > After doing some experimenting the other night, I was actually able
        > to call out (and receive) over my land-line and cell phone!
        >
        > I was listening via my monitor headphones, and talking through my
        > mic, all through my mixing board.
        >
        > The key is that you'll need a phone with a 2.5mm stereo jack for
        > connecting a headset.
        >
        > It turns out that, on the stereo jack, the left channel is the mic,
        > and the right channel is the speaker.
        >
        > So, all you need is a 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapter (stereo), and then a 3.5
        > mm to stereo L&R either 1/4" or RCA coupler! (Or mix and match). The
        > key is to make sure you pan each channel 100% Left and Right,
        > respectively.
        >
        > You'll only hear your guest in one year, but it beats trying to
        > record with skype!
        >
        > Here's a couple of pictures I shot of the setup, and the individual
        > components.
        >
        > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/kurt-eh/setup.jpg
        >
        > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/kurt-eh/Mixersetup.jpg
        >
        > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/kurt-eh/closeupadapters.jpg
        >
        > I hope it's helpful.
        >
        > Kurt

        Mike Wills
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikewills
        Blog - http://mikewills.name
        Podcasts - http://podcastmike.com

      • David Jackson
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2007
          I just did a show on this. I typically use Skype, but had someone with a very old phone system in their house -resulting in an echo I couldn't get rid of. It's at
          http://schoolofpodcasting.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=186206 I used an JK AUdio inline patch, but found it very noisy. I then got a listen who suggested a goound loop Isolator. It works, but its still not skype to skype.

          Dave Jackson
          School of Podcasting
          www.schoolofpodcasting.com