Re: [podcasters] The recording room and condenser vs. dynamic

  • Ramble Redhead
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2007
      Amazing how I don't worry about that

      --
      Check out the Ramble Redhead Show at http://rambleredhead.blogspot.com
      or www.rambleredhead.com

      Check out my Frappr map www.frappr.com/rambleredhead

      AOL or AIM Screen Name: Rambleredhead

      Yahoo Rambleredhead

      Subscribe via Itunes:
      http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=98939550&s=143441

      Comment Number: 574-203-4263

      Send stuff to:

      Ramble Redhead
      P.O. Box 2804
      South Bend IN 46680

      Write a review on Itunes to help out the show!
    • Michael W. Dean
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2007
        Blanket over the head in bed is fun for podcasting with the iRiver
        (especially for a couples cast.) It's kinda reminiscent of when you're
        a kid and reading books (or comic books) under the bed with your
        flashlight....dreaming of someday touching the world somehow like the
        people in your books. We do this when we travel.

        We nailed carpets all over the walls and ceiling in a spare room and
        now it's our nifty little studio. And boarded up the window, stuffed
        it with batting and put a carpet over the board.

        We love this room. and it really makes a difference in the sound.
        We've made it really comfy, and it's sort of our "clubhouse." Debra
        Jean and I hang out in this room a lot even when not recording.

        Here's pix of the room (scroll down the page)
        http://www.casadellama.com

        And here's more:
        http://www.casadellama.com/podpix/pod1.htm

        If you don't have an entire room to spare, you can do the same thing
        with a closet. Think of it as a phone booth for calling the world.

        MWD
        http://www.clonethehomeless.com
      • Karin
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
          Hi

          I have bought a SeReflexion_filter, and it works great for speaks -
          one person only - must be great for song-recording

          http://www.seelectronics.com/rf.html

          And recently I spotted this one that is bigger and foldable

          http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm

          I guess foam and bedsheets are fine - but these look cooler ;-)

          Karin

          On Feb 27, 3:32 pm, Evo Terra <e...@...> wrote:
          > mbritt1216 wrote:
          > > In a magazine I saw some kind of
          > > shield that you can buy and put around your condenser mic - sort of a
          > > mini sound booth. Has anyone tried something like that? Any
          > > suggestions on my situation?
          >
          > Last I heard, Dan Klass stuck his mic in a milk crate lined with foam.
          > When I'm recoding from my office, I've been known to drape a blanket
          > over me and the mic or stack a bunch of pillows on-edge in front of me.
          > And the last reading I did for Escape Pod found me in the living room,
          > mic on the big fluffy chair. Now Steve's asked me to do the same
          > character... so it looks like I'll be dragging the equipment over there
          > again.
          >
          > Good thing it's just a laptop and a Snowball mic.
          >
          > E.
          >
          > --
          > Evo Terra | Podiobooks.com
          > Free serialized audio books, delivered on your schedule.
        • Paul Puri
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
            On 3/2/07, Karin <karin.hoegh@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > I have bought a SeReflexion_filter, and it works great for speaks -
            > one person only - must be great for song-recording
            >
            > http://www.seelectronics.com/rf.html
            >
            > And recently I spotted this one that is bigger and foldable
            >
            > http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm
            >
            > I guess foam and bedsheets are fine - but these look cooler ;-)

            These devices most likely use some sort of foam that has audio absorption
            qualities. They both have the same $300 price tag, so a bit much in my book.
            You could easily go buy a couple of pieces of 2 inch acoustical foam and
            build something similar, and it would probably cost under $60.00 to do it.
            The real trap device does sound better than the SE Reflexion model,
            according to the video demo.

            Paul Puri
            A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
            http://podmotel.com

            My gear recommendations:
            http://podsafegear.com

            Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
            The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
            http://podcastguild.com/

            Promotion without shame.
            Podcasting Announcements

          • David Smith
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
              It was 1 Mar 2007, when Michael W. Dean commented:

              > And here's more:
              > http://www.casadellama.com/podpix/pod1.htm
              >

              > If you don't have an entire room to spare, you can do the same thing
              > with a closet. Think of it as a phone booth for calling the world.

              <DR_WHO_REFERENCE>

              Maybe more like a Tardis?

              </DR_WHO_REFERENCE>

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                On 3/2/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:

                > <DR_WHO_REFERENCE>
                >
                > Maybe more like a Tardis?
                >
                > </DR_WHO_REFERENCE>

                Uhh, the Tardis would be a horrible place to record. Bigger on the inside
                ring a bell?

                The acoustics would be like a great big hall.

                ;>)

                Paul Puri
                A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
                http://podmotel.com

                My gear recommendations:
                http://podsafegear.com

                Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
                The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
                http://podcastguild.com/

                Promotion without shame.
                Podcasting Announcements

              • Evo Terra
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                  Paul Puri wrote:
                  > Uhh, the Tardis would be a horrible place to record. Bigger on the inside
                  > ring a bell?
                  >
                  > The acoustics would be like a great big hall.

                  In the main control room, sure. But what about that never ending
                  wardrobe? Or the numerous additional rooms from back in the 80's? Surely
                  one of those *must* have some sound absorbing characteristics.

                  I'm not a scifi geek. Really I'm not.

                  E.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                    On 3/2/07, Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:

                    > In the main control room, sure. But what about that never ending
                    > wardrobe? Or the numerous additional rooms from back in the 80's? Surely
                    > one of those *must* have some sound absorbing characteristics.
                    >
                    > I'm not a scifi geek. Really I'm not.

                    Oh sure. Start recording in the wardrobe, and next thing you know the
                    cloister bell rings, and you gotta start all over. Or worse yet, something
                    goes haywire and you end up on a planet that hates podcasting. No thanks.
                    I'll stick to my studio at home!

                    Paul Puri
                    A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
                    http://podmotel.com

                    My gear recommendations:
                    http://podsafegear.com

                    Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
                    The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
                    http://podcastguild.com/

                    Promotion without shame.
                    Podcasting Announcements

                  • Flyswatter
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                      On 3/2/07, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:

                      > On 3/2/07, Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > In the main control room, sure. But what about that never ending
                      > > wardrobe? Or the numerous additional rooms from back in the 80's? Surely
                      > > one of those *must* have some sound absorbing characteristics.
                      > >
                      > > I'm not a scifi geek. Really I'm not.
                      >
                      > Oh sure. Start recording in the wardrobe, and next thing you know the
                      > cloister bell rings, and you gotta start all over. Or worse yet, something
                      > goes haywire and you end up on a planet that hates podcasting. No thanks.
                      > I'll stick to my studio at home!

                      The geekitude! It burns! How it burns!

                      Laura Ross

                      The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
                      http://coffeeandteashow.com
                      Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
                      coffeeandteashow@...

                      Rocky Horror Pod Show
                      http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
                      Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
                      rockypod@...
                    • David Smith
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                        It was 2 Mar 2007, when Paul Puri commented:

                        > On 3/2/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > <DR_WHO_REFERENCE>
                        > >
                        > > Maybe more like a Tardis?
                        > >
                        > > </DR_WHO_REFERENCE>
                        >

                        > Uhh, the Tardis would be a horrible place to record. Bigger on the inside
                        > ring a bell?
                        >
                        > The acoustics would be like a great big hall.
                        >
                        > ;>)

                        So you could maybe do an opera podcast?