Re: [podcasters] The recording room and condenser vs. dynamic

  • David Smith
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28 2:25 PM
      It was 27 Feb 2007, when Richard Amirault commented:

      No clue. I know when people put Stuff on their walls, they tend to put
      carpet up, so that was what first came to mind. But I dunno if this
      application requires that. It may be that, by being suspended rather than
      flat on a wall, a thinner cloth would work. But fluffier, thicker stuff
      seems to me intuitively better suited to absorbing sounds.

      > Admitedly I haven't tested it .. but I would think that just regular cloth
      > would be enough to tame those reflections .. AND .. it would be a *lot*
      > easier and lighter to put together.

      Could be tested, and if the lighter stuff doesn't cut it, the heavier
      stuff could be swapped in later. Might work.

      --
      Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
      Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2007
        Somehow, a blanket over one's head seems a bit hot---but I suppose
        whatever works cheaply---might work...

        http://www.atsacoustics.com/
        http://www.kevinkemp.com/homerecordingtutorial/acoustics.htm
        http://www.readyacoustics.com/index.php?go=studio.home
        http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm
        http://mixonline.com/design/products/audio_turnkey_acoustic_treatment/
        https://commerce86.datapipe.com/gkacoustics/store.asp?area=Products&name=Sound%20Isolation%20Booths&categoryid=8

        Good Luck

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mbritt1216" <michaelbritt@...> wrote:

        > I'm using my den to record my podcast, which while it does have a rug,
        > is still far from a padded sound booth. I know I could put rugs on
        > the walls and ceiling, but I doubt my wife would go for that. So,
        > when I record in the den using my condenser mic (Studio Projects C1),
        > I get a very "roomy" sound which I don't like. When I record with a
        > Radio Shack Pro 30-10 dynamic mic I get less of the "roominess", but
        > of course not so great a sound. In a magazine I saw some kind of
        > shield that you can buy and put around your condenser mic - sort of a
        > mini sound booth. Has anyone tried something like that? Any
        > suggestions on my situation?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Michael
        > http://www.thepsychfiles.com

      • Ramble Redhead
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2007
          Amazing how I don't worry about that

          --
          Check out the Ramble Redhead Show at http://rambleredhead.blogspot.com
          or www.rambleredhead.com

          Check out my Frappr map www.frappr.com/rambleredhead

          AOL or AIM Screen Name: Rambleredhead

          Yahoo Rambleredhead

          Subscribe via Itunes:
          http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=98939550&s=143441

          Comment Number: 574-203-4263

          Send stuff to:

          Ramble Redhead
          P.O. Box 2804
          South Bend IN 46680

          Write a review on Itunes to help out the show!
        • Michael W. Dean
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1, 2007
            Blanket over the head in bed is fun for podcasting with the iRiver
            (especially for a couples cast.) It's kinda reminiscent of when you're
            a kid and reading books (or comic books) under the bed with your
            flashlight....dreaming of someday touching the world somehow like the
            people in your books. We do this when we travel.

            We nailed carpets all over the walls and ceiling in a spare room and
            now it's our nifty little studio. And boarded up the window, stuffed
            it with batting and put a carpet over the board.

            We love this room. and it really makes a difference in the sound.
            We've made it really comfy, and it's sort of our "clubhouse." Debra
            Jean and I hang out in this room a lot even when not recording.

            Here's pix of the room (scroll down the page)
            http://www.casadellama.com

            And here's more:
            http://www.casadellama.com/podpix/pod1.htm

            If you don't have an entire room to spare, you can do the same thing
            with a closet. Think of it as a phone booth for calling the world.

            MWD
            http://www.clonethehomeless.com
          • Karin
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
              Hi

              I have bought a SeReflexion_filter, and it works great for speaks -
              one person only - must be great for song-recording

              http://www.seelectronics.com/rf.html

              And recently I spotted this one that is bigger and foldable

              http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm

              I guess foam and bedsheets are fine - but these look cooler ;-)

              Karin

              On Feb 27, 3:32 pm, Evo Terra <e...@...> wrote:
              > mbritt1216 wrote:
              > > In a magazine I saw some kind of
              > > shield that you can buy and put around your condenser mic - sort of a
              > > mini sound booth. Has anyone tried something like that? Any
              > > suggestions on my situation?
              >
              > Last I heard, Dan Klass stuck his mic in a milk crate lined with foam.
              > When I'm recoding from my office, I've been known to drape a blanket
              > over me and the mic or stack a bunch of pillows on-edge in front of me.
              > And the last reading I did for Escape Pod found me in the living room,
              > mic on the big fluffy chair. Now Steve's asked me to do the same
              > character... so it looks like I'll be dragging the equipment over there
              > again.
              >
              > Good thing it's just a laptop and a Snowball mic.
              >
              > E.
              >
              > --
              > Evo Terra | Podiobooks.com
              > Free serialized audio books, delivered on your schedule.
            • Paul Puri
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                On 3/2/07, Karin <karin.hoegh@...> wrote:

                > Hi
                >
                > I have bought a SeReflexion_filter, and it works great for speaks -
                > one person only - must be great for song-recording
                >
                > http://www.seelectronics.com/rf.html
                >
                > And recently I spotted this one that is bigger and foldable
                >
                > http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm
                >
                > I guess foam and bedsheets are fine - but these look cooler ;-)

                These devices most likely use some sort of foam that has audio absorption
                qualities. They both have the same $300 price tag, so a bit much in my book.
                You could easily go buy a couple of pieces of 2 inch acoustical foam and
                build something similar, and it would probably cost under $60.00 to do it.
                The real trap device does sound better than the SE Reflexion model,
                according to the video demo.

                Paul Puri
                A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
                http://podmotel.com

                My gear recommendations:
                http://podsafegear.com

                Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
                The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
                http://podcastguild.com/

                Promotion without shame.
                Podcasting Announcements

              • David Smith
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                  It was 1 Mar 2007, when Michael W. Dean commented:

                  > And here's more:
                  > http://www.casadellama.com/podpix/pod1.htm
                  >

                  > If you don't have an entire room to spare, you can do the same thing
                  > with a closet. Think of it as a phone booth for calling the world.

                  <DR_WHO_REFERENCE>

                  Maybe more like a Tardis?

                  </DR_WHO_REFERENCE>

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                    On 3/2/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:

                    > <DR_WHO_REFERENCE>
                    >
                    > Maybe more like a Tardis?
                    >
                    > </DR_WHO_REFERENCE>

                    Uhh, the Tardis would be a horrible place to record. Bigger on the inside
                    ring a bell?

                    The acoustics would be like a great big hall.

                    ;>)

                    Paul Puri
                    A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
                    http://podmotel.com

                    My gear recommendations:
                    http://podsafegear.com

                    Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
                    The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
                    http://podcastguild.com/

                    Promotion without shame.
                    Podcasting Announcements

                  • Evo Terra
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                      Paul Puri wrote:
                      > Uhh, the Tardis would be a horrible place to record. Bigger on the inside
                      > ring a bell?
                      >
                      > The acoustics would be like a great big hall.

                      In the main control room, sure. But what about that never ending
                      wardrobe? Or the numerous additional rooms from back in the 80's? Surely
                      one of those *must* have some sound absorbing characteristics.

                      I'm not a scifi geek. Really I'm not.

                      E.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                        On 3/2/07, Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:

                        > In the main control room, sure. But what about that never ending
                        > wardrobe? Or the numerous additional rooms from back in the 80's? Surely
                        > one of those *must* have some sound absorbing characteristics.
                        >
                        > I'm not a scifi geek. Really I'm not.

                        Oh sure. Start recording in the wardrobe, and next thing you know the
                        cloister bell rings, and you gotta start all over. Or worse yet, something
                        goes haywire and you end up on a planet that hates podcasting. No thanks.
                        I'll stick to my studio at home!

                        Paul Puri
                        A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
                        http://podmotel.com

                        My gear recommendations:
                        http://podsafegear.com

                        Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
                        The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
                        http://podcastguild.com/

                        Promotion without shame.
                        Podcasting Announcements

                      • Flyswatter
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                          On 3/2/07, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:

                          > On 3/2/07, Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > In the main control room, sure. But what about that never ending
                          > > wardrobe? Or the numerous additional rooms from back in the 80's? Surely
                          > > one of those *must* have some sound absorbing characteristics.
                          > >
                          > > I'm not a scifi geek. Really I'm not.
                          >
                          > Oh sure. Start recording in the wardrobe, and next thing you know the
                          > cloister bell rings, and you gotta start all over. Or worse yet, something
                          > goes haywire and you end up on a planet that hates podcasting. No thanks.
                          > I'll stick to my studio at home!

                          The geekitude! It burns! How it burns!

                          Laura Ross

                          The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
                          http://coffeeandteashow.com
                          Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
                          coffeeandteashow@...

                          Rocky Horror Pod Show
                          http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
                          Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
                          rockypod@...
                        • David Smith
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                            It was 2 Mar 2007, when Paul Puri commented:

                            > On 3/2/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > <DR_WHO_REFERENCE>
                            > >
                            > > Maybe more like a Tardis?
                            > >
                            > > </DR_WHO_REFERENCE>
                            >

                            > Uhh, the Tardis would be a horrible place to record. Bigger on the inside
                            > ring a bell?
                            >
                            > The acoustics would be like a great big hall.
                            >
                            > ;>)

                            So you could maybe do an opera podcast?