Re:Best practices for recording Skype calls on a Windows PC

  • JM Campbell
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
      To get that "two people in the same room sound" You really have to do
      what's called a double ender. In which both you and your interviewee
      record the interview completely separately.
      Then they send you their recording and you edit it to match up with yours.

      In my interviews, I use a mixer. you can listen to my last one at
      http://comicsradar.com/archives/38 and just pan my microphone to the
      far left and my computer audio (ie skype) to the far right. then use
      an extra cable going from on of your other outputs (ST out, REC OUT,
      or C+R out) back to the computer and then everything out to where
      ever you are recording. most people recommend recording to a separate
      device. I just use a second audio interface to do everything on one
      system. Of course, the person on the other end was on a phone, so I
      couldn't do much to improve that. skype to skype is actually clearer.

      A third option which is really similar and recommended is using a
      mixer in what's called mix-minus. which the easiest way to describe is
      to tell you to watch this video http://tinyurl.com/2manzt

      of course both of these latter two options assume you are using a mixer.

      as far as making sure you get the best quality. while recording the
      interview, close everything else on your computer except what you
      need. so close AIM, close your internet browser, close everything
      except skype and if you're recording on the same system, the recorder.
      Also make sure you don't have a lot of network traffic. make sure none
      of the computers in your home are running an intensive MMO or running
      your torrent client (in a fully legal manner) or streaming music or
      video, although things are going to affect your skype (unless you have
      really fat tubes). Even then there may be a little latency between you
      and your guest, but I've found that actually makes it easier to edit
      in the long run, if they're forced to pause before replying.

      Good luck!
      Cheers!
      --
      -John M Campbell
      http://comicsradar.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
        For those who do not know a double ender is when both parties record their skype call and one person sends the file of their call to the other and they put them both together.

        Skype is hit and miss when you record both voices on one end and the chance of bad audio increase with the more people you have on the line. However, if you have Skypeout the best thing to do is to call to a land line.

        The Half Show with Me-saj & Jason
        YOUR INTERNET ENTERTAINMENT SOURCE FOR NEW TALENT

        SUBSCRIBE HERE :
        CALL THE HOTLINE and be on the Show: 206-600-HALF or (206-600-4253)
        http//:www.thehalfshow.libsyn.com
        http//:www.thehalfshow.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1 3:41 AM
          Good question

          I have purchased Skylook, and it works great on pc with Microsoft
          Outlook and gives you This Side and Other Side recording of a Skype
          call - really good quality.

          Skylook also have a lot of other features which makes it worth the
          money.

          Karin - podblog.dk