Best practices for recording Skype calls on a Windows PC

  • Radi Shourbaji
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
      Hello all!
      The plans for our upcoming podcast call for recording interviews via
      Skype. To date, we've tried a number solutions including Powergramo that
      yield :"ok" results in that both parties can be hear clearly. However, the
      sound is often "tinnny" or flat. Yet I've heard a number of shows done via
      Skype where both parties sound like they are sitting in the same room with
      great fidelity.

      I've seen lots of recommendations for Audio Hijack, but alas its a Mac
      application. And our requirements call for a Windows/XP (Vista if we *have*
      to) based solution.

      So I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has devised a method of
      recording Skype calls that even remotely approach "broadcast" quality, or
      even only as good even just plain old analog telephone quality.

      Thanks!

      Radi

      <http://764573.sigclick.mailinfo.com/sigclick/0F070701/07024E05/0B024F06/181
      34012.jpg>

    • Daniel Beck
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
        Radi,

        On Feb 28, 2007, at 6:44 PM, Radi Shourbaji wrote:
        > The plans for our upcoming podcast call for recording interviews
        > via Skype
        <snip>
        > I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has devised a method of
        > recording Skype calls that even remotely approach "broadcast"
        > quality, or
        > even only as good even just plain old analog telephone quality.
        I think, because of the limitations of the quality of sound Skype can
        achieve, that the only way to get really good sound is to do a double-
        ender.

        Daniel

        **************************
        Daniel Beck - The Samurai Theologian
        The Samurai Theologian Podcast, GTBcast, KIFLcast, JapanesePod101
        http://web.mac.com/danielbeck/
        danielbeck@...

      • Andy Bilodeau
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
          On 2/28/07, Radi Shourbaji <radi@...> wrote:

          > Hello all!
          > The plans for our upcoming podcast call for recording interviews via
          > Skype. To date, we've tried a number solutions including Powergramo that
          > yield :"ok" results in that both parties can be hear clearly. However, the
          > sound is often "tinnny" or flat. Yet I've heard a number of shows done via
          > Skype where both parties sound like they are sitting in the same room with
          > great fidelity.
          >
          > I've seen lots of recommendations for Audio Hijack, but alas its a Mac
          > application. And our requirements call for a Windows/XP (Vista if we *have*
          > to) based solution.
          >
          > So I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has devised a method of
          > recording Skype calls that even remotely approach "broadcast" quality, or
          > even only as good even just plain old analog telephone quality.

          Hey Radi,

          I've had some good luck using Pamela...no not Pamela Anderson...I
          wish...but I'm referring to the software package for recording Skype
          calls. http://www.pamela-systems.com/

          I know there is something called Hot Recorder. I've heard mixed
          reviews about it. I was on a Skype call last night with Charles from
          Mostly News and he had some problems with Hot Recorder on his
          end...but for each tale of woe, I've heard an enthusiastic hooray.

          So...as with any and all advice, your mileage may vary...and please no wagering.

          --
          Andy Bilodeau
          PodCaster

          The AndyCast PodCast
          You'll laugh 'til you stop!
          http://www.andycast.net
          Skype : andybilodeau
        • JM Campbell
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
            To get that "two people in the same room sound" You really have to do
            what's called a double ender. In which both you and your interviewee
            record the interview completely separately.
            Then they send you their recording and you edit it to match up with yours.

            In my interviews, I use a mixer. you can listen to my last one at
            http://comicsradar.com/archives/38 and just pan my microphone to the
            far left and my computer audio (ie skype) to the far right. then use
            an extra cable going from on of your other outputs (ST out, REC OUT,
            or C+R out) back to the computer and then everything out to where
            ever you are recording. most people recommend recording to a separate
            device. I just use a second audio interface to do everything on one
            system. Of course, the person on the other end was on a phone, so I
            couldn't do much to improve that. skype to skype is actually clearer.

            A third option which is really similar and recommended is using a
            mixer in what's called mix-minus. which the easiest way to describe is
            to tell you to watch this video http://tinyurl.com/2manzt

            of course both of these latter two options assume you are using a mixer.

            as far as making sure you get the best quality. while recording the
            interview, close everything else on your computer except what you
            need. so close AIM, close your internet browser, close everything
            except skype and if you're recording on the same system, the recorder.
            Also make sure you don't have a lot of network traffic. make sure none
            of the computers in your home are running an intensive MMO or running
            your torrent client (in a fully legal manner) or streaming music or
            video, although things are going to affect your skype (unless you have
            really fat tubes). Even then there may be a little latency between you
            and your guest, but I've found that actually makes it easier to edit
            in the long run, if they're forced to pause before replying.

            Good luck!
            Cheers!
            --
            -John M Campbell
            http://comicsradar.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
              For those who do not know a double ender is when both parties record their skype call and one person sends the file of their call to the other and they put them both together.

              Skype is hit and miss when you record both voices on one end and the chance of bad audio increase with the more people you have on the line. However, if you have Skypeout the best thing to do is to call to a land line.

              The Half Show with Me-saj & Jason
              YOUR INTERNET ENTERTAINMENT SOURCE FOR NEW TALENT

              SUBSCRIBE HERE :
              CALL THE HOTLINE and be on the Show: 206-600-HALF or (206-600-4253)
              http//:www.thehalfshow.libsyn.com
              http//:www.thehalfshow.com

              On Feb 28, 2007, at 6:44 PM, Radi Shourbaji wrote:
              > The plans for our upcoming podcast call for recording interviews
              > via Skype
              <snip>
              > I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has devised a method of
              > recording Skype calls that even remotely approach "broadcast"
              > quality, or
              > even only as good even just plain old analog telephone quality.
              I think, because of the limitations of the quality of sound Skype can
              achieve, that the only way to get really good sound is to do a double-
              ender.

              Daniel

            • Karin
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1 3:41 AM
                Good question

                I have purchased Skylook, and it works great on pc with Microsoft
                Outlook and gives you This Side and Other Side recording of a Skype
                call - really good quality.

                Skylook also have a lot of other features which makes it worth the
                money.

                Karin - podblog.dk