Re: [podcasters] The recording room and condenser vs. dynamic

  • David Smith
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 27, 2007
      It was 27 Feb 2007, when mbritt1216 commented:

      > I'm using my den to record my podcast, which while it does have a rug, is
      > still far from a padded sound booth. I know I could put rugs on the walls
      > and ceiling, but I doubt my wife would go for that. So, when I record in
      > the den using my condenser mic (Studio Projects C1), I get a very "roomy"
      > sound which I don't like. When I record with a Radio Shack Pro 30-10
      > dynamic mic I get less of the "roominess", but of course not so great a
      > sound. In a magazine I saw some kind of shield that you can buy and put
      > around your condenser mic - sort of a mini sound booth. Has anyone tried
      > something like that? Any suggestions on my situation?

      Ever build a little "tent" or "fort" in the living room when you were a
      kid? Four simple, foldable frames out of one-bys, hinges and casters,
      hang cheap carpet or heavy blankets on them, you're golden. (Think Shoji
      screens, but thicker.) Still a little echo from the ceiling; maybe a
      blanket roof? Leave the computer external so no fan noise; mike cable
      runs under the wall. Folds and/or rolls up for "easy" storage. Cheap,
      too.

      Hey, I gotta build me one a these!

      --
      Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
      Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 27, 2007
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 28, 2007
          Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try the fort idea with the
          pillows. Draping the blanket over oneself sounds like it would work
          fine, but I like to have notes in front of me as well, and that
          sounds like it could get a little complicated.

          Michael Britt
          www.thepsychfiles.com
          The podcast for anyone interested in psychology and how ideas in this
          field apply to everyday life.

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Amirault" <ramirault@...>

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 28, 2007
            It was 27 Feb 2007, when Richard Amirault commented:

            No clue. I know when people put Stuff on their walls, they tend to put
            carpet up, so that was what first came to mind. But I dunno if this
            application requires that. It may be that, by being suspended rather than
            flat on a wall, a thinner cloth would work. But fluffier, thicker stuff
            seems to me intuitively better suited to absorbing sounds.

            > Admitedly I haven't tested it .. but I would think that just regular cloth
            > would be enough to tame those reflections .. AND .. it would be a *lot*
            > easier and lighter to put together.

            Could be tested, and if the lighter stuff doesn't cut it, the heavier
            stuff could be swapped in later. Might work.

            --
            Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
            Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
            What's it about? It's about five or
            ten minutes. Sometimes more.
          • Jon Robbins
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 1, 2007
              Somehow, a blanket over one's head seems a bit hot---but I suppose
              whatever works cheaply---might work...

              http://www.atsacoustics.com/
              http://www.kevinkemp.com/homerecordingtutorial/acoustics.htm
              http://www.readyacoustics.com/index.php?go=studio.home
              http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm
              http://mixonline.com/design/products/audio_turnkey_acoustic_treatment/
              https://commerce86.datapipe.com/gkacoustics/store.asp?area=Products&name=Sound%20Isolation%20Booths&categoryid=8

              Good Luck

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mbritt1216" <michaelbritt@...> wrote:

              > I'm using my den to record my podcast, which while it does have a rug,
              > is still far from a padded sound booth. I know I could put rugs on
              > the walls and ceiling, but I doubt my wife would go for that. So,
              > when I record in the den using my condenser mic (Studio Projects C1),
              > I get a very "roomy" sound which I don't like. When I record with a
              > Radio Shack Pro 30-10 dynamic mic I get less of the "roominess", but
              > of course not so great a sound. In a magazine I saw some kind of
              > shield that you can buy and put around your condenser mic - sort of a
              > mini sound booth. Has anyone tried something like that? Any
              > suggestions on my situation?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Michael
              > http://www.thepsychfiles.com

            • Ramble Redhead
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 1, 2007
                Amazing how I don't worry about that

                --
                Check out the Ramble Redhead Show at http://rambleredhead.blogspot.com
                or www.rambleredhead.com

                Check out my Frappr map www.frappr.com/rambleredhead

                AOL or AIM Screen Name: Rambleredhead

                Yahoo Rambleredhead

                Subscribe via Itunes:
                http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=98939550&s=143441

                Comment Number: 574-203-4263

                Send stuff to:

                Ramble Redhead
                P.O. Box 2804
                South Bend IN 46680

                Write a review on Itunes to help out the show!
              • Michael W. Dean
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 1, 2007
                  Blanket over the head in bed is fun for podcasting with the iRiver
                  (especially for a couples cast.) It's kinda reminiscent of when you're
                  a kid and reading books (or comic books) under the bed with your
                  flashlight....dreaming of someday touching the world somehow like the
                  people in your books. We do this when we travel.

                  We nailed carpets all over the walls and ceiling in a spare room and
                  now it's our nifty little studio. And boarded up the window, stuffed
                  it with batting and put a carpet over the board.

                  We love this room. and it really makes a difference in the sound.
                  We've made it really comfy, and it's sort of our "clubhouse." Debra
                  Jean and I hang out in this room a lot even when not recording.

                  Here's pix of the room (scroll down the page)
                  http://www.casadellama.com

                  And here's more:
                  http://www.casadellama.com/podpix/pod1.htm

                  If you don't have an entire room to spare, you can do the same thing
                  with a closet. Think of it as a phone booth for calling the world.

                  MWD
                  http://www.clonethehomeless.com
                • Karin
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                    Hi

                    I have bought a SeReflexion_filter, and it works great for speaks -
                    one person only - must be great for song-recording

                    http://www.seelectronics.com/rf.html

                    And recently I spotted this one that is bigger and foldable

                    http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm

                    I guess foam and bedsheets are fine - but these look cooler ;-)

                    Karin

                    On Feb 27, 3:32 pm, Evo Terra <e...@...> wrote:
                    > mbritt1216 wrote:
                    > > In a magazine I saw some kind of
                    > > shield that you can buy and put around your condenser mic - sort of a
                    > > mini sound booth. Has anyone tried something like that? Any
                    > > suggestions on my situation?
                    >
                    > Last I heard, Dan Klass stuck his mic in a milk crate lined with foam.
                    > When I'm recoding from my office, I've been known to drape a blanket
                    > over me and the mic or stack a bunch of pillows on-edge in front of me.
                    > And the last reading I did for Escape Pod found me in the living room,
                    > mic on the big fluffy chair. Now Steve's asked me to do the same
                    > character... so it looks like I'll be dragging the equipment over there
                    > again.
                    >
                    > Good thing it's just a laptop and a Snowball mic.
                    >
                    > E.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Evo Terra | Podiobooks.com
                    > Free serialized audio books, delivered on your schedule.
                  • Paul Puri
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                      On 3/2/07, Karin <karin.hoegh@...> wrote:

                      > Hi
                      >
                      > I have bought a SeReflexion_filter, and it works great for speaks -
                      > one person only - must be great for song-recording
                      >
                      > http://www.seelectronics.com/rf.html
                      >
                      > And recently I spotted this one that is bigger and foldable
                      >
                      > http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm
                      >
                      > I guess foam and bedsheets are fine - but these look cooler ;-)

                      These devices most likely use some sort of foam that has audio absorption
                      qualities. They both have the same $300 price tag, so a bit much in my book.
                      You could easily go buy a couple of pieces of 2 inch acoustical foam and
                      build something similar, and it would probably cost under $60.00 to do it.
                      The real trap device does sound better than the SE Reflexion model,
                      according to the video demo.

                      Paul Puri
                      A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
                      http://podmotel.com

                      My gear recommendations:
                      http://podsafegear.com

                      Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
                      The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
                      http://podcastguild.com/

                      Promotion without shame.
                      Podcasting Announcements

                    • David Smith
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                        It was 1 Mar 2007, when Michael W. Dean commented:

                        > And here's more:
                        > http://www.casadellama.com/podpix/pod1.htm
                        >

                        > If you don't have an entire room to spare, you can do the same thing
                        > with a closet. Think of it as a phone booth for calling the world.

                        <DR_WHO_REFERENCE>

                        Maybe more like a Tardis?

                        </DR_WHO_REFERENCE>

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                          On 3/2/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:

                          > <DR_WHO_REFERENCE>
                          >
                          > Maybe more like a Tardis?
                          >
                          > </DR_WHO_REFERENCE>

                          Uhh, the Tardis would be a horrible place to record. Bigger on the inside
                          ring a bell?

                          The acoustics would be like a great big hall.

                          ;>)

                          Paul Puri
                          A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
                          http://podmotel.com

                          My gear recommendations:
                          http://podsafegear.com

                          Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
                          The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
                          http://podcastguild.com/

                          Promotion without shame.
                          Podcasting Announcements

                        • Evo Terra
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                            Paul Puri wrote:
                            > Uhh, the Tardis would be a horrible place to record. Bigger on the inside
                            > ring a bell?
                            >
                            > The acoustics would be like a great big hall.

                            In the main control room, sure. But what about that never ending
                            wardrobe? Or the numerous additional rooms from back in the 80's? Surely
                            one of those *must* have some sound absorbing characteristics.

                            I'm not a scifi geek. Really I'm not.

                            E.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                              On 3/2/07, Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:

                              > In the main control room, sure. But what about that never ending
                              > wardrobe? Or the numerous additional rooms from back in the 80's? Surely
                              > one of those *must* have some sound absorbing characteristics.
                              >
                              > I'm not a scifi geek. Really I'm not.

                              Oh sure. Start recording in the wardrobe, and next thing you know the
                              cloister bell rings, and you gotta start all over. Or worse yet, something
                              goes haywire and you end up on a planet that hates podcasting. No thanks.
                              I'll stick to my studio at home!

                              Paul Puri
                              A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
                              http://podmotel.com

                              My gear recommendations:
                              http://podsafegear.com

                              Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
                              The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
                              http://podcastguild.com/

                              Promotion without shame.
                              Podcasting Announcements

                            • Flyswatter
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                                On 3/2/07, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:

                                > On 3/2/07, Evo Terra <evo@...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > In the main control room, sure. But what about that never ending
                                > > wardrobe? Or the numerous additional rooms from back in the 80's? Surely
                                > > one of those *must* have some sound absorbing characteristics.
                                > >
                                > > I'm not a scifi geek. Really I'm not.
                                >
                                > Oh sure. Start recording in the wardrobe, and next thing you know the
                                > cloister bell rings, and you gotta start all over. Or worse yet, something
                                > goes haywire and you end up on a planet that hates podcasting. No thanks.
                                > I'll stick to my studio at home!

                                The geekitude! It burns! How it burns!

                                Laura Ross

                                The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
                                http://coffeeandteashow.com
                                Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
                                coffeeandteashow@...

                                Rocky Horror Pod Show
                                http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
                                Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
                                rockypod@...
                              • David Smith
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 2, 2007
                                  It was 2 Mar 2007, when Paul Puri commented:

                                  > On 3/2/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > <DR_WHO_REFERENCE>
                                  > >
                                  > > Maybe more like a Tardis?
                                  > >
                                  > > </DR_WHO_REFERENCE>
                                  >

                                  > Uhh, the Tardis would be a horrible place to record. Bigger on the inside
                                  > ring a bell?
                                  >
                                  > The acoustics would be like a great big hall.
                                  >
                                  > ;>)

                                  So you could maybe do an opera podcast?