FTP comments

  • David Smith
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
      I've been trying to find a way to allow, nay encourage, audio comments.
      Nobody wants to all long distance to my K7 number -- understandably, and
      I'll probably just let the thing drop since I'm not really using it.

      I do have the ability to run an FTP host on my desktop machine at home.
      Pretty straightforward, really. But I wonder if there's anyone left who
      would actually know how to upload an MP3 or WAV via FTP. It's there, it's
      set up, but it's probably pointless.

      Trouble is, I have only me to create all the content on my show, and I
      just don't have that much to say. Even the $5 Libsyn option is overkill,
      so far, anyway. I really don't have the content to fill the virtual
      minute with sixty seconds worth of distance run, as whasisname put it.
      And I hate not being Good at things.

      I've invited friends to join in. My primary group of friends were
      actually offended I even suggested the idea. I guess I've developed an
      interest they don't find interesting.

      Anyway, back to the technical question. Is FTP something other people are
      liable to be able to use, or is it just more wasted time?

      And yes, I probably do already know the answer.

      <sigh>

      --
      Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
      Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
        Try Kall8.com, $2/month plus $.07 minute for an 866/877/888 number that can
        forward to any of your numbers or deliver messages via MP3. Also, you can
        receive faxes.

        _____________________________
        Here to Help!
        Justin Kaiser & Associates
        Creative Identity Group
        Voiceovers and Internet Marketing
        Phone/FAX - (888) 519-9575
        http://www.JustinKaiser.com <http://www.justinkaiser.com/>
        http://www.CreativeIdentityGroup.com <http://www.creativeidentitygroup.com/>

        _____________________________

        _____

        Podcast: <http://grizzly. <http://grizzly.libsyn.com> libsyn.com>

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
          It was 26 Feb 2007, when Justin Kaiser - Mailing Lists commented:

          > Try Kall8.com, $2/month plus $.07 minute for an 866/877/888 number that can
          > forward to any of your numbers or deliver messages via MP3. Also, you can
          > receive faxes.

          I'll take a look. I hate to spend the money, it's a really small group so
          far, but the toll-free aspect seems like it'd be a motivator.

          What, 5 a month for Libsyn, 2 a month for Kall8, I guess it's not that
          bad.

          Might try to do something with Talkshoe, too, but there would be a need
          for folks to give a damn about participating. I'm clever, but I'm not
          sure I'm clever enough for such a show.

          I think my show's main attraction is that I'm on the ASD spectrum. But
          most people on the spectrum -- me included -- have times when it's
          difficult to say much of anything, much less anything worth listening to.

          Still, if I'm going to have a phone number, toll-free (to everyone but me)
          seems like a good addition.

          --
          Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
          Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
          What's it about? It's about five or
          ten minutes. Sometimes more.
        • Evo Terra
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
            David Smith wrote:

            > I've been trying to find a way to allow, nay encourage, audio comments.
            > Nobody wants to all long distance to my K7 number -- understandably, and
            > I'll probably just let the thing drop since I'm not really using it.

            <snip>

            > Anyway, back to the technical question. Is FTP something other people are
            > liable to be able to use, or is it just more wasted time?

            Are you contemplating asking your folks to record and submit their
            comments to you via FTP rather than dial a phone number?

            Try what you like, but I can't see how that's going to get you what you
            want.

            I guess I'm as good as anyone to talk about soliciting feedback since
            two of the shows I co-host have entire voice mail shows spun off from
            them. Our audience is of the more technically savvy set and we give them
            the option of either calling us or sending us an MP3 file of their
            comments. The ratio of .mp3 comment to voice mail is about 1 to 50, if I
            had to pull a number out. And the .mp3 files almost always come from
            overseas listeners or other podcasters.

            I have no idea if the long distance issue is causing folks to skip
            calling you, but I can't see how asking them to record and .mp3 file and
            FTP it somewhere (we just have them email us) is lowering barriers.
            Seems quite the opposite, rather.

            Encouraging audio comments starts with providing content that leads to
            feedback. Some of the most popular podcasts, with *thousands* of
            listeners, don't get but a handful of voice mails. That's OK, I think.

            But I know it's not OK for many of you, as I'm frequently asked how we
            do it. So this morning, I sent of a speaker request form to the Podcast
            Brothers to give a talk during the PNME on building a highly engaging
            audience who's willing to do much of the heavy lifting for you. If I get
            selected, come on by and see me talk!

            E.

            --
            Evo Terra | Podiobooks.com
            Free serialized audio books, delivered on your schedule.
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
              On 2/26/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:

              > I've been trying to find a way to allow, nay encourage, audio comments.
              > Nobody wants to all long distance to my K7 number -- understandably, and
              > I'll probably just let the thing drop since I'm not really using it.
              >
              > I do have the ability to run an FTP host on my desktop machine at home.
              > Pretty straightforward, really. But I wonder if there's anyone left who
              > would actually know how to upload an MP3 or WAV via FTP. It's there, it's
              > set up, but it's probably pointless.
              >
              > Trouble is, I have only me to create all the content on my show, and I
              > just don't have that much to say. Even the $5 Libsyn option is overkill,
              > so far, anyway. I really don't have the content to fill the virtual
              > minute with sixty seconds worth of distance run, as whasisname put it.
              > And I hate not being Good at things.
              >
              > I've invited friends to join in. My primary group of friends were
              > actually offended I even suggested the idea. I guess I've developed an
              > interest they don't find interesting.
              >
              > Anyway, back to the technical question. Is FTP something other people are
              > liable to be able to use, or is it just more wasted time?
              >
              > And yes, I probably do already know the answer.
              >
              > <sigh>

              Hey David,

              I don't think FTP is the way....there are other options rather than k7.

              Check out...Odeo..once you sign up, you can get a link that will allow
              anyone with a microphone to record themselves using a Flash recorder
              straight to a wav (maybe mp3) which is then e-mailed to you.

              There's also myChingo...a similar idea where the listeners are able to
              record on their machines using a Flash based recorder and then you are
              notified of a voice comment by e-mail. Log into the myChingo site and
              you have access to the recording.

              I've had both of these available on my site for the past 18 months and
              have only got 2 Odeos and 2 myChingos....the bulk of my listener
              supplied snippets have come from direct solicitation by me, or after I
              had submitted something to their podcast.

              Also, make sure you ask for submissions....and when you get them make
              a BIG deal about it...

              One might even call one's own voice mail number to help prime the
              pump....or even contact similar podcasters to do a "share our
              thoughts" kinda deal.

              I'm lucky...most of my listeners are podcasters who are savvy enough
              to make and e-mail recordings....well...MOST are savvy.....

              ;-)

              As Evo has said, make space for your listeners to contribute. Even
              from little bits to introduce your segments (I haven't listened to
              your podcast yet, so I don't know if you have "segments".

              I've found that it's easier to ask someone for some audio, especially
              podcasters, if you supply them with some in advance.

              Just my 2 cents and your mileage may vary.

              --
              Andy Bilodeau
              PodCaster

              The AndyCast PodCast
              You'll laugh 'til you stop!
              http://www.andycast.net
              Skype : andybilodeau
            • Flyswatter
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
                Oh David, I've been meaning to tell you I really like your podcast.
                You have a warm, pleasant voice and your music selection is very nice.
                You sound a little like Burl Ives.

                Would it help if some of us were to "prime the voicemail pump" by
                calling in? Listeners can be lemmings sometimes and they might get the
                idea to call if they hear others.

                On 2/26/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:

                > I've been trying to find a way to allow, nay encourage, audio comments.
                > Nobody wants to all long distance to my K7 number -- understandably, and
                > I'll probably just let the thing drop since I'm not really using it.
                >
                > I do have the ability to run an FTP host on my desktop machine at home.
                > Pretty straightforward, really. But I wonder if there's anyone left who
                > would actually know how to upload an MP3 or WAV via FTP. It's there, it's
                > set up, but it's probably pointless.
                >
                > Trouble is, I have only me to create all the content on my show, and I
                > just don't have that much to say. Even the $5 Libsyn option is overkill,
                > so far, anyway. I really don't have the content to fill the virtual
                > minute with sixty seconds worth of distance run, as whasisname put it.
                > And I hate not being Good at things.
                >
                > I've invited friends to join in. My primary group of friends were
                > actually offended I even suggested the idea. I guess I've developed an
                > interest they don't find interesting.
                >
                > Anyway, back to the technical question. Is FTP something other people are
                > liable to be able to use, or is it just more wasted time?
                >
                > And yes, I probably do already know the answer.
                >
                > <sigh>
                >
                > --
                > Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
                > Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                > What's it about? It's about five or
                > ten minutes. Sometimes more.

                Laura Ross

                The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
                http://coffeeandteashow.com
                Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
                coffeeandteashow@...

                Rocky Horror Pod Show
                http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
                Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
                rockypod@...
              • Michael W. Dean
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
                  I think the FTP idea is going to make it harder for people to
                  participate. I think people are more likely to call a phone number
                  (even long distance), or even e-mail an MP3 (I'd give them both options.)

                  How about giving them more reason to call in? A contest? Give
                  something away....a book, a DVD, I dunno...something.

                  Interview an author and get them to donate a couple copies of their
                  book and then have a contest to give the book away to a caller.

                  MWD
                • Shawn Thorpe
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
                    I've been doing my podcast for almost 9 months now. I have a K7 number. I
                    have probably received about 10 voice messages total. And I was doing the
                    show for a couple months before I got any voice messages at all. I don't
                    think changing to a toll-free number is going to make a big difference.
                    Many people have universal long-distance calling plans on their land lines,
                    and many others have free long distance on their cell phones. (At least, I
                    do.) Your FTP idea isn't bad. But, not everyone is tech savvy enough to
                    record their own mp3's, let alone FTP them. Overall, I suggest staying with
                    the K7 number and also be certain to include other contact methods. Your
                    listeners will interact with you via the option that works best for them,
                    and ultimately, they'll do it in their own time (if they do it at all).

                    -Shawn
                    http://www.hypernonsense.com/

                    On 2/26/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:

                    > I've been trying to find a way to allow, nay encourage, audio comments.
                    > Nobody wants to all long distance to my K7 number -- understandably, and
                    > I'll probably just let the thing drop since I'm not really using it.
                    >
                    > I do have the ability to run an FTP host on my desktop machine at home.
                    > Pretty straightforward, really. But I wonder if there's anyone left who
                    > would actually know how to upload an MP3 or WAV via FTP. It's there, it's
                    > set up, but it's probably pointless.
                    >
                    > Trouble is, I have only me to create all the content on my show, and I
                    > just don't have that much to say. Even the $5 Libsyn option is overkill,
                    > so far, anyway. I really don't have the content to fill the virtual
                    > minute with sixty seconds worth of distance run, as whasisname put it.
                    > And I hate not being Good at things.
                    >
                    > I've invited friends to join in. My primary group of friends were
                    > actually offended I even suggested the idea. I guess I've developed an
                    > interest they don't find interesting.
                    >
                    > Anyway, back to the technical question. Is FTP something other people are
                    > liable to be able to use, or is it just more wasted time?
                    >
                    > And yes, I probably do already know the answer.
                    >
                    > <sigh>
                    >
                    > --
                    > Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
                    > Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                    > What's it about? It's about five or
                    > ten minutes. Sometimes more.

                  • David Smith
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
                      It was 26 Feb 2007, when Andy Bilodeau commented:

                      > On 2/26/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:
                      > > I've been trying to find a way to allow, nay encourage, audio comments.
                      > > Nobody wants to all long distance to my K7 number -- understandably, and
                      > > I'll probably just let the thing drop since I'm not really using it.
                      > >
                      > > I do have the ability to run an FTP host on my desktop machine at home.
                      > > Pretty straightforward, really. But I wonder if there's anyone left who
                      > > would actually know how to upload an MP3 or WAV via FTP. It's there,
                      > > it's set up, but it's probably pointless.
                      > >
                      > > Trouble is, I have only me to create all the content on my show, and I
                      > > just don't have that much to say. Even the $5 Libsyn option is
                      > > overkill, so far, anyway. I really don't have the content to fill the
                      > > virtual minute with sixty seconds worth of distance run, as whasisname
                      > > put it. And I hate not being Good at things.
                      > >
                      > > I've invited friends to join in. My primary group of friends were
                      > > actually offended I even suggested the idea. I guess I've developed an
                      > > interest they don't find interesting.
                      > >
                      > > Anyway, back to the technical question. Is FTP something other people
                      > > are liable to be able to use, or is it just more wasted time?
                      > >
                      > > And yes, I probably do already know the answer.
                      > >
                      > > <sigh>
                      > >

                      > Hey David,
                      >
                      > I don't think FTP is the way....there are other options rather than k7.

                      I don't either, but it was something I could understand and set up
                      cheaply.

                      > Check out...Odeo..once you sign up, you can get a link that will allow
                      > anyone with a microphone to record themselves using a Flash recorder
                      > straight to a wav (maybe mp3) which is then e-mailed to you.
                      >
                      > There's also myChingo...a similar idea where the listeners are able to
                      > record on their machines using a Flash based recorder and then you are
                      > notified of a voice comment by e-mail. Log into the myChingo site and you
                      > have access to the recording.
                      >
                      > I've had both of these available on my site for the past 18 months and have
                      > only got 2 Odeos and 2 myChingos....the bulk of my listener supplied
                      > snippets have come from direct solicitation by me, or after I had submitted
                      > something to their podcast.

                      Both seem like a good option; You Young People These Days expect the whole
                      Internet to be about the Web (wink-wink, nudge-nudge), so naturally both
                      are web-based, right? Does it cost me yet more money?

                      > Also, make sure you ask for submissions....and when you get them make
                      > a BIG deal about it...
                      >
                      > One might even call one's own voice mail number to help prime the
                      > pump....or even contact similar podcasters to do a "share our
                      > thoughts" kinda deal.

                      > I'm lucky...most of my listeners are podcasters who are savvy enough
                      > to make and e-mail recordings....well...MOST are savvy.....

                      I have no idea who my listeners are, since only one has ever said
                      anything. And that's all I have to say about that, for the moment. I'm a
                      big believer in confidentiality, where it's possible.

                      > ;-)
                      >
                      > As Evo has said, make space for your listeners to contribute. Even
                      > from little bits to introduce your segments (I haven't listened to
                      > your podcast yet, so I don't know if you have "segments".

                      I'm not sure I have a podcast, much less segments, but I can create
                      segments. I do have a few recordings of me talking to myself about
                      myself, which seems counterproductive, since it's stories myself has
                      already heard, and probably retold better than I ever told it. Myself
                      really annoys Me that way. Excuse me, I'm getting dizzy....

                      > I've found that it's easier to ask someone for some audio, especially
                      > podcasters, if you supply them with some in advance.

                      Well, I have no idea where to start with that. I can sometimes manage to
                      create enough content for a whole new podcast. Trouble is, I'm in a razor-
                      thin market segment, people who want to hear me talk about myself. Maybe
                      someday that'll be a vast number of people. But nobody wants to listen to
                      an Aspie spend time being non-verbal. If you know what I mean by that, no
                      further explanation is necessary. If you don't, no further explanation
                      will do any good.

                      It appears that, someday, 1 in 150 of the American population will have
                      reason to listen to my podcast. My job, find them -- and come up with
                      something for them to listen to.

                      Your points are well taken, and your references are greatly appreciated.
                      While I'm (hopefully) intelligently asking the right questions, I'm still
                      a profoundly New Guy in the whole podcasting thing. There is a small
                      wedge in which I can do the right things, and there's a small fraction of
                      right things I could end up doing for my podcast, and there's a
                      vanishingly small chance that the second will sufficently match up with
                      the first. If I can make this work, it'll be a Miracle. Good publicity;
                      one of the Christian podcasts'll have to do a segment on a confirmed
                      miracle, won't they? ;-)

                      And I have to get both right, or I'm just another guy who tried to do a
                      podcast and failed. All I've got is all I am, and the only really
                      interesting aspect of who I am (to today's media market) is that I'm on
                      the Spectrum, and 1 in 150 of the US are, too. The rest is just some guy
                      failing repeatedly.

                      On the Spectrum, I'd be considered a success, albeit a bizarre example.
                      You don't start with a condition that makes talking to people painful and
                      confusing, and end up with a good public speaker. I'm an exception. I'm
                      actually a good public speaker, he said, humbly. In a world of bearded
                      ladies and wolf-boys, I'm all blue and glow in the dark.

                      This week. Next week, I'm "Whatever Happened To..."

                      Anyway, Odeo -- do I have to create another Podcast feed? -- and MyChingo -
                      - not having seen anybody else's Chingo, I'll just have to see what mine's
                      all about. But purely on a technical basis, thanks; it'll be something
                      else for me to tinker with.

                      Sideline note: I'm here typing this about my podcast in my Friendly Local
                      Bar, and apparently at least one charming young lady who just stopped by
                      my table finds that attractive. And that's another way to get help on the
                      podcast. See, I -knew- this laptop, and this list, would be helpful!
                      <grin>

                      Might help with the podcast, too <wink wink nudge nudge>.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
                        It was 26 Feb 2007, when Flyswatter commented:

                        > Oh David, I've been meaning to tell you I really like your podcast.
                        > You have a warm, pleasant voice and your music selection is very nice. You
                        > sound a little like Burl Ives.

                        So you're saying I sound old? :-)

                        > Would it help if some of us were to "prime the voicemail pump" by
                        > calling in? Listeners can be lemmings sometimes and they might get the idea
                        > to call if they hear others.

                        While I appreciate the thought, I have few enough listeners at this point,
                        you might all end up impressing each other. <grin>

                        But if any of y'all want to mention to your audiences that there's this
                        quirky little podcast that isn't much, and that you can't actually
                        recommend, because it doesn't have much content yet, but that might be
                        interesting for those who are on the Autistic Spectrum or who know adults
                        who are struggling on the spectrum, that might be productive.

                        Parents of kids on the Spectrum are a whole 'nother audience, and the
                        stuff I talk about -- myself -- is only of interest in that group if
                        they've figured out that there's no magic cure, and someday their kids
                        will end up in My House, barring a medical miracle.

                        But it's your audience, and they have certain expectations of you, and
                        pointing them off to Some Idiot who Likes to Play with Audacity may not be
                        a favor. So listen, scratch your head, and consider it.

                        If you did choose to call, I hope you have one of those free LD accounts,
                        no need to spend money on me, and I'll use the audio for something, if
                        only to figure out how to get Audacity to use it. But I'll probably
                        shoehorn it into a show somehow. Since the show is about Me anyway,
                        anything somebody says to me is arguably fair game. And I'm liable to
                        "riff" on anything, if I have anything to riff on.

                        Thanks for the thought. But I gotta have some better, more useable
                        mechanism for stuff like this.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
                          It was 27 Feb 2007, when Michael W. Dean commented:

                          > I think the FTP idea is going to make it harder for people to
                          > participate. I think people are more likely to call a phone number
                          > (even long distance), or even e-mail an MP3 (I'd give them both options.)
                          >
                          > How about giving them more reason to call in? A contest? Give
                          > something away....a book, a DVD, I dunno...something.
                          >
                          > Interview an author and get them to donate a couple copies of their
                          > book and then have a contest to give the book away to a caller.

                          Nothing wrong with the interview idea, except (1) at this point I'm still
                          Just Some Guy, not a Celebrity, so there's no reason for them to want to
                          do an interview with me, and (2) like most folks on the Spectrum, I'm
                          lousy at conversation, and conversation is basic to interviewing. I might
                          not quite suck at it, exactly.

                          Good thought, though. Maybe if I find a really desperate author. Wait,
                          my friend Randall is writing at length now in his creative writing blog
                          (an imaginative and intense writer), and my sister's a published writer
                          for a couple magazines (she's my sister, so that's all I dare say about
                          that). And a girl I've known since kindergarten is Editor for a regional
                          magazine in my area (and a far better writer than I). Gotta think about
                          those options.

                          Sometimes this whole lacking-in-social-skills thing can be very hard.

                          --
                          Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
                          Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
                          What's it about? It's about five or
                          ten minutes. Sometimes more.
                        • Matthew Wayne Selznick
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
                            On 2/26/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:
                            > It was 26 Feb 2007, when Flyswatter commented:
                            > > You have a warm, pleasant voice and your music selection is very nice. You
                            > > sound a little like Burl Ives.
                            >
                            > So you're saying I sound old? :-)

                            Maybe you sound like an animated snowman puppet..?

                            <hums "silver and gold" />

                            --
                            Matthew Wayne Selznick
                            Consultant, Podcaster, Author

                            MWS Media
                            Podcast consultation, web
                            hosting, and writing services
                            for DIY, independent creators
                            http://www.mwsmedia.com

                            Podiobooks.com
                            The original source of audio
                            books in podcast form.
                            http://www.podiobooks.com

                            Podcasts:
                            The DIY Endeavors Podcast
                            http://www.podmotel.com/diyendeavors
                            Five Minute Memoir
                            http://www.fiveminutememoir.com
                            Sonitotum
                            http://www.mattselznick.com

                            Books:
                            "Brave Men Run - A Novel of the
                            Sovereign Era"
                            http://www.bravemenrun.com
                          • David Smith
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
                              It was 26 Feb 2007, when Shawn Thorpe commented:

                              > I've been doing my podcast for almost 9 months now. I have a K7 number. I
                              > have probably received about 10 voice messages total. And I was doing the
                              > show for a couple months before I got any voice messages at all. I don't
                              > think changing to a toll-free number is going to make a big difference.
                              > Many people have universal long-distance calling plans on their land lines,
                              > and many others have free long distance on their cell phones. (At least, I
                              > do.) Your FTP idea isn't bad. But, not everyone is tech savvy enough to
                              > record their own mp3's, let alone FTP them. Overall, I suggest staying
                              > with the K7 number and also be certain to include other contact methods.
                              > Your listeners will interact with you via the option that works best for
                              > them, and ultimately, they'll do it in their own time (if they do it at
                              > all).

                              You're right there. My constraint is that I'm running out of things to
                              say about myself, and I've got nobody else to talk about. The rest of the
                              world is kinda beyond my understanding anyway. And if I had some
                              questions to answer, to "riff on," that'd at least give me a starting
                              point.

                              Hard to do that with a small starting audience, but not being a rock star
                              or a serial killer, or worse yet, a politician, I was unlikely to start
                              with a big audience.

                              It's either that, or start talking about politics. <grin>

                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
                                It was 26 Feb 2007, when Matthew Wayne Selznick commented:

                                > On 2/26/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:
                                > > It was 26 Feb 2007, when Flyswatter commented:
                                > > > You have a warm, pleasant voice and your music selection is very nice.
                                > > > You sound a little like Burl Ives.
                                > >
                                > > So you're saying I sound old? :-)
                                >
                                > Maybe you sound like an animated snowman puppet..?
                                >
                                > <hums "silver and gold" />

                                I only have a few silver threads among the gold -- well, brown -- and
                                genetics being genetics, they'll shortly turn into iron gray, if Dad's
                                side wins, or dark gray and silver, if Mom's side wins. I'd vote for Mom,
                                but who knows?

                                And as for that, there's good money in sounding like an animated snowman
                                puppet -- what are the chances you'll ever work with Eddie Murphy? <grin>
                                I'll get you an autograph, remind me though, okay?

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
                                  Two things, David:

                                  1) After listening to one of your episodes to see if I could get a
                                  better angle on how to help, I wound up subscribing. So from the point
                                  of view of a new listener, shut up already about getting people to
                                  contribute and just keep doing what you are doing. I like it. :)

                                  And 2):

                                  David Smith wrote:
                                  > Trouble is, I'm in a razor-
                                  > thin market segment, people who want to hear me talk about myself.

                                  Let me go through my list and give you a smattering of the podcasts I
                                  subscribe to where the host primarily talks about his or herself (and
                                  the things he/she finds interesting):

                                  * Brad P from Whole Lot of Nonsense (http://wholelotofnonsense.org)
                                  * Cush from Cush: Things I Say (http://cushrocks.com)
                                  * Five Minute Memoir with whoever (http://fiveminutememoir.com)
                                  * Light on Light Through from Paul Levinson (ttp://paullev.libsyn.com)
                                  * Sonitotum by Matthew Wayne Selznic
                                  (http://www.mattselznick.com/scribtotum/category/new-media/podcasts/sonitotum/)
                                  * Nicole Simon's Useful Sounds (http://usefulsounds.org)
                                  * Dan Klass from The Bitterest Pill (http://thebitterestpill.com)
                                  * Leann Maybry's Tag In The Seam (http://tagintheseam.mat9.com)

                                  I might have missed a few. But I listen to these podcasts *because* they
                                  talk about themselves. Not in spite of it.

                                  > It appears that, someday, 1 in 150 of the American population will have
                                  > reason to listen to my podcast. My job, find them -- and come up with
                                  > something for them to listen to.

                                  Actually, your first job is to find things that you enjoy telling those
                                  of us that listen. It's a subtle difference, but a profound one. The
                                  people I listed above *rarely* worry finding things they think I care
                                  about and instead focus on the things they care about. I can listen to
                                  me talk all the time...

                                  > There is a small
                                  > wedge in which I can do the right things, and there's a small fraction of
                                  > right things I could end up doing for my podcast, and there's a
                                  > vanishingly small chance that the second will sufficently match up with
                                  > the first.
                                  >
                                  > And I have to get both right, or I'm just another guy who tried to do a
                                  > podcast and failed.

                                  There is no one Right Way. While there are many Wrong Ways, IMHO, the
                                  number of Right Ways so far vastly out pace the Wrong that the Wrong are
                                  moot. What you are doing right now is a Right Way. More of that,
                                  please. (Thought I do prefer the scripted shows, truth be told. I'm a
                                  sucker for format.)

                                  E.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
                                    Aw, you mentioned my homie Leann! Rawk!

                                    And David, you aren't old. You're only a couple of years older than I
                                    am and my husband has three years on you. And we're younger than
                                    freakin' springtime!

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 27, 2007
                                      It was 26 Feb 2007, when Evo Terra commented:

                                      > Two things, David:
                                      >
                                      > 1) After listening to one of your episodes to see if I could get a
                                      > better angle on how to help, I wound up subscribing. So from the point of
                                      > view of a new listener, shut up already about getting people to contribute
                                      > and just keep doing what you are doing. I like it. :)

                                      Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated... <grin>

                                      > And 2):
                                      >
                                      > David Smith wrote:
                                      > > Trouble is, I'm in a razor-
                                      > > thin market segment, people who want to hear me talk about myself.
                                      >
                                      > Let me go through my list and give you a smattering of the podcasts I
                                      > subscribe to where the host primarily talks about his or herself (and the
                                      > things he/she finds interesting):

                                      <snip>

                                      > I might have missed a few. But I listen to these podcasts *because* they
                                      > talk about themselves. Not in spite of it.

                                      Gee, and I was having such -fun- whining...

                                      > > It appears that, someday, 1 in 150 of the American population will have
                                      > > reason to listen to my podcast. My job, find them -- and come up with
                                      > > something for them to listen to.
                                      >
                                      > Actually, your first job is to find things that you enjoy telling those of
                                      > us that listen. It's a subtle difference, but a profound one. The people I
                                      > listed above *rarely* worry finding things they think I care about and
                                      > instead focus on the things they care about. I can listen to me talk all
                                      > the time...

                                      Yep, point taken. I'm getting too self-conscious, now that there are
                                      Actual People listening. Gotta be brilliant every time. I forgot again,
                                      Sturgeon's Law?

                                      > > There is a small
                                      > > wedge in which I can do the right things, and there's a small fraction of
                                      > > right things I could end up doing for my podcast, and there's a
                                      > > vanishingly small chance that the second will sufficently match up with
                                      > > the first.
                                      > >
                                      > > And I have to get both right, or I'm just another guy who tried to do a
                                      > > podcast and failed.
                                      >
                                      > There is no one Right Way. While there are many Wrong Ways, IMHO, the
                                      > number of Right Ways so far vastly out pace the Wrong that the Wrong are
                                      > moot. What you are doing right now is a Right Way. More of that, please.
                                      > (Thought I do prefer the scripted shows, truth be told. I'm a sucker for
                                      > format.)

                                      I find when I work from a script, I talk too fast. (Gotta work on that.)
                                      But, yeah, it does sound a lot more Professional and whatnot. Oddly
                                      enough, that gives me an idea for a show, about "whatnot." I could tell
                                      you what I mean, but that'd spoil the surprise. <grin>

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 27, 2007
                                        It was 27 Feb 2007, when Flyswatter commented:

                                        > Aw, you mentioned my homie Leann! Rawk!
                                        >
                                        > And David, you aren't old. You're only a couple of years older than I
                                        > am and my husband has three years on you. And we're younger than
                                        > freakin' springtime!

                                        I remember one time Maggie (details on my show, btw) told me she was "over
                                        the hill." To which I replied, "Well, if you're over the hill, I'm well
                                        into the next valley." But this part of the valley, luckily, isn't the
                                        Shadowy part.