PodCast Marketing: How Effectively Are You Marketing?

  • Tony Marino, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
      Each day starts and usually ends with the same BIG question.
      Our clients and prospects ask us, "How can I grow my
      business and capture my fair market share?" Our answer is
      quite simply, "Build yourself a base of prospects and work
      that pipeline relentlessly and efficiently."

      One BIG tip that I can offer you as read my short synopsis
      today, learn how to become a successful PodCaster and watch
      your bottom-line fly skyward!

      Over the past decade, the Internet has created many new
      breakthrough marketing mediums. From successful ezine
      publishing and distribution straight through to more
      pronounced search engine optimization practices.

      As a television and radio broadcaster/marketing consultant,
      I have had the sincere pleasure of understanding just how
      important both the radio and television marketing methods
      are to businesses and individuals in getting the word out to
      their prospective audience.

      Our weekly online radio show, Net Talk Radio has been
      received very well amongst listeners and advertisers alike.
      I guess I always knew that in time, connectivity speeds and
      portable hand-held devices would ultimately allow for a more
      expansive target audience reach.

      The day has finally arrived!

      Although, we began using our online talk radio format years
      ago, we are now able to sweeten the pie by allowing our
      listeners to almost effortlessly download our show
      (information and entertainment) right into the iPod and
      iRiver devices. Now our audience can listen where ever and
      whenever "they" like. Plus, as an added-value benefit to us
      and our valuable advertisers, we can track every hit
      (listener) around the clock for about the cost of a cup of
      coffee! We make all this happen by deploying one of today's
      best emerging audio/blogging technologies popularly referred
      to as, "PodCasting".

      PodCast Marketing: *Anyone Can Do This!

      First, What is Podcasting?

      Podcasting is a term that manifested as a fresh way to
      describe the technology used to push (share) audio content
      from web sites down to consumers (clients) of that content,
      who usually listen to it on an iPod (hence the term "pod")
      or any other type of .mp3 player (iRiver) at their command,
      convenience and control.

      PodCasting is somewhat similar to the concept of
      time-shifted video software and devices like TiVo, which let
      you watch what you want exactly when you want it by simply
      recording and storing video, except that PodCasting is
      primarily used for audio to date. (Universal video
      deployment is most likely just around the corner.) With
      that stated I should explain, however, that this easy to use
      emerging technology can be used to push (deploy) any kind of
      file such as photos (images), software updates, videos
      and/or text.

      PodCasting uses an XML-based technology called RSS (Real
      Simple Syndication). Content publishers (PodCasters)
      describe new content in an XML RSS file which includes
      dates, titles, descriptions, and specifics links to the .mp3
      files. This "automatically" generated file is referred to
      as an RSS feed. Dave Winer is considered by many to be the
      creator of RSS and a pioneer in the environment of applied
      XML. The component to making PodCasting work with RSS is
      "enclosures" (remember that term), an element supported by
      RSS 2.0.

      As a consumer or end-user, you simply run an "aggregator"
      (remember this term, too) program like MTV's Adam Curry's
      iPodder software on your local computer, which lets you
      easily subscribe to RSS feeds. Programs like Adam's will
      either by schedule or by random design, download the RSS
      files, and check to see if any fresh content is available.
      If new content exists, the audio files are automatically
      downloaded and put into a folder (of your choice) on your
      hard disk or directly routed to your mp3 player.

      I used an asterisk as noted above to make this very honest
      and often painful-to-some disclaimer. When I stated that
      "Anyone Can Do This", I should more accurately state,
      "Anyone that properly learns (from a real professional) and
      activates their own PodCast process can reap the significant
      harvest of BIGGER numbers by creating and nurturing their
      own emerging community. As an online business owner this is
      HUGE and required! This marketing solution can not only
      make you financially solvent, it can even make you a "STAR"!

      Fitting The PodCast Magic Into Your Arsenal

      Here now is a list of things to do to prepare yourself for
      your first PodCast presentation.

      1. Research The PodCast Element

      Learn precisely what PodCasting is all about and how it
      works. I recommend visiting http://www.google.com and
      typing, "PodCast Radio" into the search field.

      2. Physically Search Out Only The True Professionals

      Create a list of those PodCasters that undeniably know
      exactly what they are doing. Align your yourself with only
      the best. From this list, call them on the phone and pick
      their brain(s). If you cannot locate an actual telephonic
      point of contact, I strongly urge you to wipe them from your
      list. You want to do business with those that believe in
      "touching" their market with more intimacy and one-to-one
      personalization rather than just an email. Remember, you
      are looking for a friend. A mentor. Not necessarily someone
      to take your money and be off. A solid partnership
      (friendship) is your objective here.

      3. Discover Your Passion

      What passion do you share with others? What true value will
      your audience glean from you? Who is your target audience?
      Understand your "WHY"!

      4. Develop Your Plan & Work Your Process

      What do you need to learn? What do you need to do? What
      specific date will you be ready? Who will provide you with
      the support you will need to fulfill your plan. What
      equipment is required?

      5. Make Your Podcast Happen!

      As you roll out your "new-to-you" adventure, don't expect
      total perfection on day one. Be kind to yourself and know
      that you will evolve. We all started from square one. You
      should have heard my first radio air check from my first
      radio gig in Bakersfield, California. I sounded just like a
      bumbling knucklehead. :-) Enough practice and desire can
      make you near perfect, but do be fair with you and give
      yourself time to grow.

      Listen to other Pro-PodCasters. Listen to your local radio
      stations. Read books and articles like this one on a daily
      basis. (I do it everyday!)

      6. Finally... No Excuses!

      If you "really" want to crank up the heat on your marketing
      efforts, than PodCasting will give you the significant
      marketing advantage.

      Know this...

      Others will talk about it, but never make their move.

      You, on the other hand, will except no feeble excuses and
      get working on your very first PodCast right away! (At the
      very least, be sure to move PodCasting up near the top of
      "TO-DO" list!

      In closing today...

      I have illustrated only a fraction of what you must know
      before you go piling into your PodCast endeavor full steam
      ahead. Be sure to identify and experiment with all angles
      of marketing when it comes to producing an on-going,
      money-generating PodCast production for all the world to
      hear and take notice!

      Happy PodCast Marketing!

      About Tony Marino, Ph.D., Marketing

      Dr. Tony Marino is not only the CEO of America Web Works
      (http://www.AmericaWebWorks.com), he is also host of the
      PodCast Radio Show (http://radio.weblogs.com/0144135/), the
      Founder of the http://www.AudioVideoStreams.com, the
      International ePublisher's Association, Christian Times
      eBusiness Newsletter and the author of the ePublishing
      Master's Course at: http://www.ePublisherUniversity.com.
      Additionally, he holds Email Compliance Officer status for
      many of today's leading Network Marketing companies.

      He has also worked with the likes of legendary Direct
      Marketers Ted Nicholas and Gary Halbert. Best-Selling
      Authors, Harvey McKay, Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen.
      ABC Television's, Jimmie Kimmel and NBC's, Carson Daly.
      Online Marketers, Dale Calvert and Jay Abraham just to name
      a few. His offices are location in Portland and Los Angeles
      and he'd love to hear from you anytime!

      http://www.AmericaWebWorks.com 866-824-9684
    • jim stewart
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
        Is it just me? Or does this smell and taste like spam?

        Jim Stewart

        On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:20:24 -0000, Tony Marino, Ph.D.
        <marinofactor@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Dr. Tony Marino is not only the CEO of America Web Works
        > (http://www.AmericaWebWorks.com), he is also host of the
        > PodCast Radio Show (http://radio.weblogs.com/0144135/), the
        > Founder of the http://www.AudioVideoStreams.com, the
        > International ePublisher's Association, Christian Times
        > eBusiness Newsletter and the author of the ePublishing
        > Master's Course at: http://www.ePublisherUniversity.com.
        > Additionally, he holds Email Compliance Officer status for
        > many of today's leading Network Marketing companies.
        >
        > He has also worked with the likes of legendary Direct
        > Marketers Ted Nicholas and Gary Halbert. Best-Selling
        > Authors, Harvey McKay, Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen.
        > ABC Television's, Jimmie Kimmel and NBC's, Carson Daly.
        > Online Marketers, Dale Calvert and Jay Abraham just to name
        > a few. His offices are location in Portland and Los Angeles

      • tropicaleb
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
          Oh, it couldn't be spam! I mean, the guy has a Ph.D.!

          C de F

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
            <marinofactor@...> wrote:

            > 1. Research The PodCast Element
            >
            > Learn precisely what PodCasting is all about and how it
            > works. I recommend visiting http://www.google.com and
            > typing, "PodCast Radio" into the search field.

            Stunning. This guy really has the inside track here, doesn't he? Not
            only that...

            > 2. Physically Search Out Only The True Professionals
            >
            > Create a list of those PodCasters that undeniably know
            > exactly what they are doing. Align your yourself with only
            > the best. From this list, call them on the phone and pick
            > their brain(s). If you cannot locate an actual telephonic
            > point of contact, I strongly urge you to wipe them from your
            > list.

            ...he's courteous enough to give Curry, Slusher, et al. fair warning
            to change their phone numbers *now*. >8->

            - Steve Eley
            sfeley@...
          • Rob Usdin
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
              > 2. Physically Search Out Only The True Professionals
              >
              > Create a list of those PodCasters that undeniably know
              > exactly what they are doing. Align your yourself with only
              > the best. From this list, call them on the phone and pick
              > their brain(s). If you cannot locate an actual telephonic
              > point of contact, I strongly urge you to wipe them from your
              > list.

              I had to laugh at this. I mean isn't podcasting and the internet all about
              creating very REAL relationships through the use of the technology? So this
              just seems to backwards to that philosophy? I have to talk to someone on
              the PHONE exclusively? Come on now - I have established many, many
              relationships over the internet that I have rarely spoken on the phone to,
              let alone met in person.

              --*Rob

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
                On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:02:22 +1100, jim stewart <jimboot@...> wrote:

                > Is it just me? Or does this smell and taste like spam?

                It's not spam, because he doesn't appear to be selling anything. It's
                just a self-inflated but possibly sincere individual who realized that
                "podcast" is the buzzword of the week, and whipped up a frothy cream
                of rhetoric for the sorts of people who watch infomercials for fun.
                It's really not useful to anybody, as there's no technical detail in
                it and what little advice he gives is horrible. ("Call up the
                successful people and become their best friend?" Egad!) But it's
                fairly typical of the class of mindset that believes that Having a
                Vision is the same thing as Being Successful, and that Catchy
                Marketing means using Lots of Capital Letters.

                What I don't get is why he's posting it *here*. If it's to build an
                audience for podcasting, he's going about it rather backwards.
                Perhaps just to pat himself on the back for being such a visionary?

                - Steve Eley
                sfeley@...
              • Matt May
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
                  On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:43:09 -0500, Rob Usdin <rob@...> wrote:
                  > > 2. Physically Search Out Only The True Professionals
                  > >
                  > > Create a list of those PodCasters that undeniably know
                  > > exactly what they are doing. Align your yourself with only
                  > > the best. From this list, call them on the phone and pick
                  > > their brain(s). If you cannot locate an actual telephonic
                  > > point of contact, I strongly urge you to wipe them from your
                  > > list.
                  >
                  > I had to laugh at this. I mean isn't podcasting and the internet all about
                  > creating very REAL relationships through the use of the technology? So
                  > this
                  > just seems to backwards to that philosophy? I have to talk to someone on
                  > the PHONE exclusively? Come on now - I have established many, many
                  > relationships over the internet that I have rarely spoken on the phone to,
                  > let alone met in person.

                  I'm going to say something that may lend some credence to the original
                  proposal. Fear not, because I will destroy it later.

                  Broadcasting in a void doesn't create community. That is, if you want
                  to find people who share your opinions, then obviously you will need
                  to have some way to connect with them, and email is much more of a
                  throwaway medium for this than a more interactive one such as the
                  phone, or meeting in person.

                  I would say that all but a small handful of the online relationships I
                  have, started with a physical meeting, usually at a conference. I flew
                  to San Francisco for an evening to attend the Creative Commons 2nd
                  anniversary party, and walked away with a whole lot of interviews
                  queued up. SXSW last year was fantastic. But I met lots of people
                  because I thought they were interesting and wanted to meet them, not
                  because I saw through them to my Fantastic Self-Marketing Opportunity.

                  I read this (god knows why, since I'm not actually trying to
                  make.money.fast with podcasting), and it strikes me as a typical
                  old-school marketing tract overlaid on [insert technology buzzword
                  here]. I have created relationships of sorts with some of the people
                  on this list, but it has nothing to do with stroking them so they'll
                  mention my podcast. That's something I find distasteful, and I would
                  imagine those who are most attractive targets for this
                  give-them-a-call approach have a heightened sensitivity to suckups.
                  I'm happy to talk with anyone who wants to call me, but if I know it's
                  just a technique for someone to draw attention to themselves, I'm
                  going to feel used, and/or start charging from the time I pick up the
                  phone. There's a fine line between this tactic and telemarketing.

                  Also, the camelCasing of "podcast" is irregular and disconcerting.

                  -
                • Andrew Baron
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
                    Just for fun, I did a ctrl-H and replaced the words 'pod' and 'cast'
                    with 'pinus' and 'pipe'. Very effective:

                    One BIG tip that I can offer you as you read my short synopsis
                    today, learn how to become a successful PinusPiper and watch
                    your bottom-line fly skyward!

                    Over the past decade, the Internet has created many new
                    breakthrough marketing mediums. From successful ezine
                    publishing and distribution straight through to more
                    pronounced search engine optimization practices.

                    As a television and radio broadPiper/marketing consultant,
                    I have had the sincere pleasure of understanding just how
                    important both the radio and television marketing methods
                    are to businesses and individuals in getting the word out to
                    their prospective audience.

                    Our weekly online radio show, Net Talk Radio has been
                    received very well amongst listeners and advertisers alike.
                    I guess I always knew that in time, connectivity speeds and
                    portable hand-held devices would ultimately allow for a more
                    expansive target audience reach.

                    The day has finally arrived!

                    Although, we began using our online talk radio format years
                    ago, we are now able to sweeten the pie by allowing our
                    listeners to almost effortlessly download our show
                    (information and entertainment) right into the iPinus and
                    iRiver devices. Now our audience can listen where ever and
                    whenever "they" like. Plus, as an added-value benefit to us
                    and our valuable advertisers, we can track every hit
                    (listener) around the clock for about the cost of a cup of
                    coffee! We make all this happen by deploying one of today's
                    best emerging audio/blogging technologies popularly referred
                    to as, "PinusPipeing".

                    PinusPipe Marketing: *Anyone Can Do This!

                    First, What is PinusPipeing?

                    PinusPipeing is a term that manifested as a fresh way to
                    describe the technology used to push (share) audio content
                    from web sites down to consumers (clients) of that content,
                    who usually listen to it on an iPinus (hence the term "Pinus")
                    or any other type of .mp3 player (iRiver) at their command,
                    convenience and control.

                    PinusPipeing is somewhat similar to the concept of
                    time-shifted video software and devices like TiVo, which let
                    you watch what you want exactly when you want it by simply
                    recording and storing video, except that PinusPipeing is
                    primarily used for audio to date. (Universal video
                    deployment is most likely just around the corner.) With
                    that stated I should explain, however, that this easy to use
                    emerging technology can be used to push (deploy) any kind of
                    file such as photos (images), software updates, videos
                    and/or text.

                    PinusPipeing uses an XML-based technology called RSS (Real
                    Simple Syndication). Content publishers (PinusPipers)
                    describe new content in an XML RSS file which includes
                    dates, titles, descriptions, and specifics links to the .mp3
                    files. This "automatically" generated file is referred to
                    as an RSS feed. Dave Winer is considered by many to be the
                    creator of RSS and a pioneer in the environment of applied
                    XML. The component to making PinusPipeing work with RSS is
                    "enclosures" (remember that term), an element supported by
                    RSS 2.0.

                    As a consumer or end-user, you simply run an "aggregator"
                    (remember this term, too) program like MTV's Adam Curry's
                    iPinusder software on your local computer, which lets you
                    easily subscribe to RSS feeds. Programs like Adam's will
                    either by schedule or by random design, download the RSS
                    files, and check to see if any fresh content is available.
                    If new content exists, the audio files are automatically
                    downloaded and put into a folder (of your choice) on your
                    hard disk or directly routed to your mp3 player.

                    I used an asterisk as noted above to make this very honest
                    and often painful-to-some disclaimer. When I stated that
                    "Anyone Can Do This", I should more accurately state,
                    "Anyone that properly learns (from a real professional) and
                    activates their own PinusPipe process can reap the significant
                    harvest of BIGGER numbers by creating and nurturing their
                    own emerging community. As an online business owner this is
                    HUGE and required! This marketing solution can not only
                    make you financially solvent, it can even make you a "STAR"!

                    Fitting The PinusPipe Magic Into Your Arsenal

                    Here now is a list of things to do to prepare yourself for
                    your first PinusPipe presentation.

                    1. Research The PinusPipe Element

                    Learn precisely what PinusPipeing is all about and how it
                    works. I recommend visiting http://www.google.com and
                    typing, "PinusPipe Radio" into the search field.

                    2. Physically Search Out Only The True Professionals

                    Create a list of those PinusPipers that undeniably know
[...]

                    5. Make Your PinusPipe Happen!

                    As you roll out your "new-to-you" adventure, don't expect
                    total perfection on day one. Be kind to yourself and know
                    that you will evolve. We all started from square one. You
                    should have heard my first radio air check from my first
                    radio gig in Bakersfield, California. I sounded just like a
                    bumbling knucklehead. :-) Enough practice and desire can
                    make you near perfect, but do be fair with you and give
                    yourself time to grow.

                    Listen to other Pro-PinusPipers. Listen to your local radio
                    stations. Read books and articles like this one on a daily
                    basis. (I do it everyday!)

                    6. Finally... No Excuses!

                    If you "really" want to crank up the heat on your marketing
                    efforts, than PinusPipeing will give you the significant
                    marketing advantage.

                    Know this...

                    Others will talk about it, but never make their move.

                    You, on the other hand, will except no feeble excuses and
                    get working on your very first PinusPipe right away! (At the
                    very least, be sure to move PinusPipeing up near the top of
                    "TO-DO" list!

                    In closing today...

                    I have illustrated only a fraction of what you must know
                    before you go piling into your PinusPipe endeavor full steam
                    ahead. Be sure to identify and experiment with all angles
                    of marketing when it comes to producing an on-going,
                    money-generating PinusPipe production for all the world to
                    hear and take notice!

                    Happy PinusPipe Marketing!

                    PinusPipe Radio Show (http://radio.weblogs.com/0144135/), the

                  • news@podcast411.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
                      You almost seem to be mocking him.

                      Remember

                      B.S. = Bull Sh#t
                      M.S. = More Sh#t
                      Ph.D = Piled High and Deep

                      On Mon Feb 28 9:56 , 'Andrew Baron' <videoblogyahoo@...> sent:

                    • news@podcast411.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
> [...]

                        >Dr. Tony Marino is not only the CEO of America Web Works
                        >(http://www.AmericaWebWorks.com\), he is also host of the
                        >PinusPipe Radio Show (http://radio.weblogs.com/0144135/\), the
                        >Founder of the http://www.AudioVideoStreams.com, the
                        >International ePublisher's Association, Christian Times
                        >eBusiness Newsletter and the author of the ePublishing
                        >Master's Course at: http://www.ePublisherUniversity.com.
                        >Additionally, he holds Email Compliance Officer status for
                        >many of today's leading Network Marketing companies.
                        >
                        >He has also worked with the likes of legendary Direct
                        >Marketers Ted Nicholas and Gary Halbert. Best-Selling
                        >Authors, Harvey McKay, Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen.
                        >ABC Television's, Jimmie Kimmel and NBC's, Carson Daly.
                        >Online Marketers, Dale Calvert and Jay Abraham just to name
                        >a few. His offices are location in Portland and Los Angeles

                      • elle_webb
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "tropicaleb" <tropicaleb@y...> wrote:

                          > Oh, it couldn't be spam! I mean, the guy has a Ph.D.!

                          A PH.D in spam-ology?
                        • jim stewart
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
                            Aaaaah - now it makes sense.
                            Thanks Andrew
                            Jim Stewart
                            jimstewart.net

                            On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:56:26 -0000, Andrew Baron
                            <videoblogyahoo@...> wrote:

                            > Just for fun, I did a ctrl-H and replaced the words 'pod' and 'cast'
                            > with 'pinus' and 'pipe'. Very effective:

                          • Peter Ker
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 28, 2005
                              --- jim stewart <jimboot@...> wrote:

                              > Is it just me? Or does this smell and taste like
                              > spam?
                              >
                              > Jim Stewart

                              I'll take the Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam
                              Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam
                              Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Baked
                              Beans Spam Spam and
                              Spam......................................
                              Also Trolling Trolling over the bounding Bay!

                              Baked Beans are off!

                              Skennen Peace.

                              =====
                              http://www.geocities.com/bearclanmohawk