New Setup - Limited to $400

  • DrTweeker
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 26 8:16 AM
      Hey gang,

      I did a podcast a few months ago, was great while it lasted, however the job
      that pays the bills starting requiring more time that I could spare, and I
      had to stop podcasting for a while. Now that things are back manageable, I'm
      going to re-launch with a new show that I've had the idea for, for about a
      year now. My question to you is. I've got about $400 I can spend for a new
      setup - what would you buy ? Before I was using only a pc and a USB mic..
      but I'd like to go more the route of a mixer/sound board with a real mic and
      stuff along those lines. I know $400 isn't much when you start talking good
      equipment, but it's what I can work with at the moment, so any thoughts of
      the perfect $400 setup would be wonderful.

      Thanks,

      Jason

    • David Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 26 4:40 PM
        It was 26 Feb 2007, when DrTweeker commented:

        > I did a podcast a few months ago, was great while it lasted, however the
        > job that pays the bills starting requiring more time that I could spare,
        > and I had to stop podcasting for a while. Now that things are back
        > manageable, I'm going to re-launch with a new show that I've had the idea
        > for, for about a year now. My question to you is. I've got about $400 I can
        > spend for a new setup - what would you buy ? Before I was using only a pc
        > and a USB mic.. but I'd like to go more the route of a mixer/sound board
        > with a real mic and stuff along those lines. I know $400 isn't much when
        > you start talking good equipment, but it's what I can work with at the
        > moment, so any thoughts of the perfect $400 setup would be wonderful.

        Well, for me, the main concern wouldn't be audio quality, it'd be content.
        I'd be spending that money on ways to acquire more content. For example,
        iRiver makes some reputable, portable digital player-recorders. I'm told
        the quality is pretty good. Should be able to find portable DAT recorders
        fer cheap out there, albeit old, too. I'd want one of either, for
        potential interviews -- though I haven't done any yet.

        Audio quality can be fixed in post, at least potentially. Lack of content
        can't be fixed in Post. Though either of the above hardware tools could
        add a lot to audio quality, too.

        I'd be tempted, also, to find an inexpensive MIDI keyboard, to create my
        own music, esp. for background --- I use a lot of background music, at
        least so far. The effect is undeniably reminiscent of a couple of
        routines from Saturday Night Live, but we all have our burdens to bear,
        especially when we think deep thoughts -- and the parts that I do best
        have already been done better by Garry Keilor.

        Just my take. And I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it,
        people like me! <grin>

        --
        Grizzly <grizzly at grizzly.podzone.org>
        Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
          There is more than one right answer, but maybe start looking at an MXL 990 condenser
          mic $60 new - great buy for the money.

          Then Yamaha has a MW10 for $199 its a usb mixer for 4 mic preamps - two have channel
          inserts to use with a compressor

          That leaves you $140 for something else - maybe a nicer mic preamp (Presonus TubPre
          goes for $99) or a voice processor DBX 266xl runs $149

          There are mulitple good options but these are all solid choices

          -Geoff
          Fundamentals of Digital Audio Podcast:
          http://digiaudio.blogspot.com

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "DrTweeker" <drtweeker@...> wrote:

          > Hey gang,
          >

          > I did a podcast a few months ago, was great while it lasted, however the job
          > that pays the bills starting requiring more time that I could spare, and I
          > had to stop podcasting for a while. Now that things are back manageable, I'm
          > going to re-launch with a new show that I've had the idea for, for about a
          > year now. My question to you is. I've got about $400 I can spend for a new
          > setup - what would you buy ? Before I was using only a pc and a USB mic..
          > but I'd like to go more the route of a mixer/sound board with a real mic and
          > stuff along those lines. I know $400 isn't much when you start talking good
          > equipment, but it's what I can work with at the moment, so any thoughts of
          > the perfect $400 setup would be wonderful.
          >

          > Thanks,
          >

          > Jason

        • Paul Puri
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
            On 3/2/07, ghankstef <ghankstef@...> wrote:

            > There is more than one right answer, but maybe start looking at an MXL 990
            > condenser
            > mic $60 new - great buy for the money.
            >
            > Then Yamaha has a MW10 for $199 its a usb mixer for 4 mic preamps - two
            > have channel
            > inserts to use with a compressor
            >
            > That leaves you $140 for something else - maybe a nicer mic preamp
            > (Presonus TubPre
            > goes for $99) or a voice processor DBX 266xl runs $149
            >
            > There are mulitple good options but these are all solid choices

            Get yourself a good set of headphones. It is hard to properly mix without
            them. Spend between $50 to $100.

            Paul Puri
            A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
            http://podmotel.com

            My gear recommendations:
            http://podsafegear.com

            Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
            The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
            http://podcastguild.com/

            Promotion without shame.
            Podcasting Announcements

          • JM Campbell
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Puri" <paulpuri@...> wrote:

              > Get yourself a good set of headphones. It is hard to properly mix
              without
              > them. Spend between $50 to $100.

              So, I shouldn't have got the $250 pair, I have? Man I got ripped.
              Seriously, when I started I tried a basic pair of headphones. and my
              podcast sounded fine to me. as I was upgrading I got a moderately
              priced pair and I started hearing all the little noises I was missing.
              Then I finally got the Beyerdynamics and again I heard so much more.
              Each step up in price was a marked difference in sound quality. So,
              take Steve Eley oft repeated advice make your first big spend on a
              good set of headphones.

              -JMCampbell
              comicsradar.com
            • Paul Puri
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007
                On 3/3/07, JM Campbell <geek4x4@...> wrote:

                > So, I shouldn't have got the $250 pair, I have? Man I got ripped.
                > Seriously, when I started I tried a basic pair of headphones. and my
                > podcast sounded fine to me. as I was upgrading I got a moderately
                > priced pair and I started hearing all the little noises I was missing.
                > Then I finally got the Beyerdynamics and again I heard so much more.
                > Each step up in price was a marked difference in sound quality. So,
                > take Steve Eley oft repeated advice make your first big spend on a
                > good set of headphones.

                First of all, I was not addressing you. I was addressing the OP, who said he
                has only $400 to spend on a mic and interface. My suggestion was to try to
                fit a decent pair of headphones in that budget. If you think he should spend
                $250 on headphones, and use the rest for the mic and interface, heck, your
                the man. So JM, what mic and interface would you get for $150?

                I'm waiting.....

                ;>)

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Puri" <paulpuri@...> wrote:

                  > On 3/3/07, JM Campbell <geek4x4@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > So, I shouldn't have got the $250 pair, I have? Man I got ripped.
                  > > Seriously, when I started I tried a basic pair of headphones.
                  and my
                  > > podcast sounded fine to me. as I was upgrading I got a moderately
                  > > priced pair and I started hearing all the little noises I was
                  missing.
                  > > Then I finally got the Beyerdynamics and again I heard so much
                  more.
                  > > Each step up in price was a marked difference in sound quality.
                  So,
                  > > take Steve Eley oft repeated advice make your first big spend on
                  > > good set of headphones.
                  >

                  > First of all, I was not addressing you. I was addressing the OP,
                  who said he
                  > has only $400 to spend on a mic and interface. My suggestion was
                  to try to
                  > fit a decent pair of headphones in that budget. If you think he
                  should spend
                  > $250 on headphones, and use the rest for the mic and interface,
                  heck, your
                  > the man. So JM, what mic and interface would you get for $150?
                  >
                  > I'm waiting.....

                  I bought all of my stuff retail, no internet specials so you could
                  probably do better than I did for the same money. I would probably
                  aim around 150 for the headphones. a behringer 802 was 60 at my
                  local guitarcenter (horrible overpriced store) I got a xitel inport
                  for $50 from best buy (an excellent, very clean input that just
                  takes RCA in and usb out), a shure SM57 mic for 99bucks. shop around
                  and you can find these at cheaper prices, whatever your setup, plan
                  to spend around another $40 for all the cables you need for your set
                  up. shop around and you get it about $400

                  -JMCampbell
                  comicsradar.com
                • ghankstef
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 5, 2007

                    > I bought all of my stuff retail, no internet specials so you could
                    > probably do better than I did for the same money. I would probably
                    > aim around 150 for the headphones. a behringer 802 was 60 at my
                    > local guitarcenter (horrible overpriced store) I got a xitel inport
                    > for $50 from best buy (an excellent, very clean input that just
                    > takes RCA in and usb out), a shure SM57 mic for 99bucks. shop around
                    > and you can find these at cheaper prices, whatever your setup, plan
                    > to spend around another $40 for all the cables you need for your set
                    > up. shop around and you get it about $400

                    The problem with dynamic mics like the Shure SM57 is they need a
                    really good preamp that can deliver a lot of gain without noise. The
                    preamps in a lot of the audio interfaces in the $99 - $199 price range
                    aren't always up to the task. That is why I like to suggest the MXL
                    990 condenser mic at $60. Condenser mics deliver hotter levels. I'm
                    going to do a podcast about this some time soon

                    -Geoff
                    http://digiaudio.blogspot.com