Re: [podcasters] Problem with new setup - too much noise!

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2007
      On 2/2/07, David L. Jones <david.jones@...> wrote:

      > The problem is I cannot record anything without getting large amounts
      > of background noise (hiss). I thought it was my settings, but I have
      > narrowed it done to the Alto mixer. To get any usable input level on
      > the sound card I have to turn the gain right up on the mixer (to the
      > highest 30dB setting on the Mic input gain) and even without
      > *anything* connected to the mixer except my headphones, I can hear the
      > annoying background hiss.

      I've never heard of the Alto, but yes, it's possible you got a lemon.
      Or maybe not. A few questions:

      1.) Do you have both the channel into which the mic is plugged *and*
      the main output turned up to "unity?"

      2.) What are you sending your mixer into? You said "sound card"
      above, but I thought you were using some Philips USB audio interface?
      (By the way, what model is that? I didn't even know Philips made such
      a thing.)

      3.) Whatever you're sending it to, are you sure it's configured
      properly and that any input levels are near the top?

      The Behringer C-1 is not a *great* microphone, but it shouldn't be
      this bad. My guess is that you just have a level set wrong somewhere.
      Probably on the mixer, if you can hear the problem in headphoens
      connected to it. Read the manuals thoroughly on your mixer and your
      audio interface, and don't be afraid to try things.

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • ghankstef
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2007
        > The problem is I cannot record anything without getting large amounts
        > of background noise (hiss). I thought it was my settings, but I have
        > narrowed it done to the Alto mixer. To get any usable input level on
        > the sound card I have to turn the gain right up on the mixer (to the
        > highest 30dB setting on the Mic input gain) and even without
        > *anything* connected to the mixer except my headphones, I can hear the
        > annoying background hiss.
        >
        > What's the deal?
        > Do I just have a crap quality mixer?, or is there something wrong with
        > my C-1 mic output level maybe? Voice quality seems fine when I gain it
        > up enough to get a usable signal level.

        Try this: make sure everything on the mixer is set to unity gain or zero on the level, main
        mix level, pan, eq, etc... Then on the channel where you have the mic connected turn up
        the TRIM. I have a high quality Mackie mixer at work where I have to turn it up about 75%
        of max to get a good level.

        If that doesn't work - then maybe its a lemon or maybe the mic preamps stink.

        Geoff Hankerson
        Fundamentals of Digital Audio Podcast
        http://digiaudio.blogspot.com