Increasing Your Audience

  • Ronald Lewis
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 21, 2007
      Happy New Year to everyone! As of a few days ago, it has officially
      been a year now since I started podcasting. I've learned a lot, and am
      looking forward to achieving new milestones this year.

      With that said, I'm looking for new ideas on how to expand the
      visibility of my podcast, Interviews. I've secured press, participated
      in forums, submitted to digg and directories, but I feel I'm still
      falling short of the goal (not that I've done bad, but I'm eyeing 1
      Million+ downloads a month, up from a current 100K for the past year).

      I enjoy producing the interviews I do for the Interviews Podcast, and
      some great folks have appeared including Craigslist founder Craig
      Newmark, and digg's Kevin Rose. Still, regardless of all of the "heavy
      hitters" I've attracted, a lot of people are again -- unaware of these
      interviews.

      So, I'm open to suggestions, especially from those who are pushing
      100,000+ downloads a month -- a goal I'd like to reach and exceed
      sometime this year. The more people that are tuning in, the better!

      Finally, I've converted the podcast to a blog format -- check it out:

      http://www.ronaldlewis.com/interviews (FYI: The podcast is moving to
      my new experimental project, "DirecPod" in the next month or so at
      http://interviews.direcpod.com)
    • Paul Puri
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 21, 2007
        On 1/21/07, Ronald Lewis <ron@...> wrote:

        > So, I'm open to suggestions, especially from those who are pushing
        > 100,000+ downloads a month -- a goal I'd like to reach and exceed
        > sometime this year. The more people that are tuning in, the better!

        Hey Ron,

        What a nice mix of interview subjects. I am going to subscribe.

        There are not too many podcasters that get over the 100k goal. Perhaps you
        can share how you have achieved such a tremendous audience. I'm sure a lot
        of us would love to hear all the hard work you put into it.

        By the way, where do you host your audio? And what is your bandwidth bill
        like?
        :>)

        Paul Puri
        A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
        http://podmotel.com

        My gear recommendations:
        http://podsafegear.com

        Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
        The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
        http://podcastguild.com/

        Promotion without shame.
        Podcasting Announcements

      • Ronald Lewis
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
          Paul,

          Thanks for subscribing!

          I do not have a bandwidth bill! :) Considering that I've "gone for
          broke" the past year to live out my new passion for social media, the
          only bill I have is hosting (now $20 at Media Temple, up from $3.99 at
          GoDaddy). Most of my podcasts are hosted on my website, Gabcast, and
          recently, Podserve (podserve.biggu.com). Big In Japan, the company
          behind Podserve (and the Dirt 'Fancast'), have rolled out an
          impressive suite of "social media tools" and Podserve is part of that.
          Best of all, it's free -- and, fast! So, I use them as a repository,
          along with Podtrac for tracking.

          Regarding the 100K goal (I'm almost there), I'd have to say that it's
          mostly due to the people I've secured for interviews and the websites
          I've posted them to. As an example, I interviewed a Universal Records
          recording artist, and arranged for his label to post the interview to
          his website. To date, it has been downloaded some 6,000 times alone --
          not a large number, but for a single interview, it's decent.

          Most of the tech-focused interviews do quite well, because they have a
          large following. However, with better visibility, I'd realize a lot
          more downloads, and the only two ways to achieve that:

          1. Advertising (Google AdWords, TechCrunch, etc.)
          2. Or Viral marketing

          Of course, I cannot afford option 1, and I've flirted with option 2
          many of times -- the trick is developing something catchy and
          interesting.

          Overall, I've been relentless in my pursuits of making this
          successful, but I've also had my share of challenges as well. Still,
          the bottom line is exposure, because podcasting forums, directories,
          etc., aren't helping much. It's going to take an infusion of cash to
          really get this thing noticed, which is why I've approached several
          companies for sponsorship (Several marketing directors at Cisco bought
          in, but ultimately, their top marketing guy dropped the ball -- I
          still haven't heard from him, and at this point, I've stopped caring.)

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Puri" <paulpuri@...> wrote:

          > On 1/21/07, Ronald Lewis <ron@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > So, I'm open to suggestions, especially from those who are pushing
          > > 100,000+ downloads a month -- a goal I'd like to reach and exceed
          > > sometime this year. The more people that are tuning in, the better!
          >

          > Hey Ron,
          >
          > What a nice mix of interview subjects. I am going to subscribe.
          >
          > There are not too many podcasters that get over the 100k goal.
          Perhaps you
          > can share how you have achieved such a tremendous audience. I'm sure
          a lot
          > of us would love to hear all the hard work you put into it.
          >
          > By the way, where do you host your audio? And what is your bandwidth
          bill
          > like?
          > :>)
          >

          > Paul Puri
          > A Nice Place to Podcast! Podmotel BETA
          > http://podmotel.com
          >
          > My gear recommendations:
          > http://podsafegear.com
          >
          > Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
          > The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
          > http://podcastguild.com/
          >
          > The Official Podcasters Wiki: http://podcasterswiki.com
          >
          > Promotion without shame.
          > Podcasting Announcements

        • David Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2007
            It was 22 Jan 2007, when Ronald Lewis commented:

            > Most of the tech-focused interviews do quite well, because they have a
            > large following. However, with better visibility, I'd realize a lot more
            > downloads, and the only two ways to achieve that:
            >
            > 1. Advertising (Google AdWords, TechCrunch, etc.)
            > 2. Or Viral marketing
            >
            > Of course, I cannot afford option 1, and I've flirted with option 2
            > many of times -- the trick is developing something catchy and
            > interesting.

            All you need is a podcast one should apply directly to the forehead.
            <grin>
          • Flyswatter
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1 12:16 PM
              This totally gives me an idea for some artwork to cobble together using the
              trusty photoshop.

              On 1/31/07, David Smith <dbsmith@...> wrote:

              > All you need is a podcast one should apply directly to the forehead.
              > <grin>

              Laura Ross

              The Coffee And Tea Show podcast
              http://coffeeandteashow.com
              Listener hotline: 206-338-6194
              coffeeandteashow@...

              Rocky Horror Pod Show
              http://rockyhorrorpodshow.libsyn.com
              Listener hotline: 206-888-4991 (note new number)
              rockypod@...

            • David Smith
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2 9:38 PM
                Cool. I'll bill ya. <grin>

                It was 1 Feb 2007, when Flyswatter commented: