best free podcast hosting?

  • David Smith
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 18, 2007
      Probably a stupid (and arguably "religious" question), but what's the
      best, free hosting service for podcasts? I have two plans going. I want
      to start -a- podcast, just to familiarize myself with the technology, and
      I have an idea (no not that one, some other idea) that could work long-
      term. Did some looking around, this has already been done but it still
      works.

      Anyway, for the former, poking-around podcast, what's the best podcast
      hosting to start with? Ideally, I'd like to use for the starter a server
      that'd be good for later production. If for quality sake I have to have a
      better server for production, well, fine, but I still need free to start
      with, especially since I may blow the whole process off and go do
      something else at some random time -- genetic condition, can't be helped.

      If it matters, I'm planning to put together an "audio theater" group
      locally, but that's for later, when I have some clue what I'm doing. Was
      going to do a webcast along with my Blogger blog, but they apparently
      don't do that anymore. And I'd imagine I gotta host the thing somewhere,
      and my current DSL connection is probably too limited to deal with even
      downloading MP3 files -- not beyond my technical abilities, but I don't
      wanna buy trouble.

      Any good pointers here?
    • David Smith
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 13, 2007
        It was 13 Feb 2007, when Bob Zwick commented:

        > Hi David,
        >
        > There are tons of choices out there. I thought I'd mention the free
        > hosting service I set up for a bunch of my disabled friends. No cost
        > at all. Just use the software I wrote and send your podcasts to my
        > site.
        >
        > I have to admit it's not the prettiest eye candy but it works and
        > gives you an RSS feedand publicity help.
        >
        > http://www.podcastaloud.com

        Well, I'm up and running on Libsyn now, but I'll take a look out of
        curiosity, and for a time when I may not be able to afford Libsyn anymore.
        I might even qualify as disabled, depending on who you ask.

        --
        Grizzly <grizzly at atbbs.dyndns.org>
        Podcast: <http://grizzly.libsyn.com>