Re: Neat way of dealing with long RSS

  • Michael W. Dean
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

      > On 1/5/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > By the way, do you (or anyone else on here) have an answer for the
      > > part of my OP on this thread about what to tell people to set their
      > > iTunes (or other podcatchers at) to download all episodes in the
      > > archive with one click? I couldn't get iTunes to do it, even with the
      > > default set at "download all".
      >
      > When you first subscribe to a feed, it *always* gets only the latest
      > episode. This is proper behavior. In most cases, people subscribe
      > because they want to try something new. If they want older episodes,
      > they'll get them deliberately. If subscribing to a podcast meant
      > automatically bringing down dozens of hours of content, a lot of
      > people would think twice before subscribing to new things.
      >
      > Todd's right about the purpose of an RSS feed. It's to alert people
      > to the presence of new content. Bringing everything you've done onto
      > someone's hard drive with one click is not the function of an RSS
      > feed. If it's important to you to offer that functionality, give them
      > a zip file or a torrent or something more appropriate to the purpose.
      >

      > --
      > Have Fun,
      > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
      > http://www.escapepod.org

      ===================
      OK. Now I get it. Thank you.
      I deleted the silly archive RSS link and made two huge zips of first
      30 episodes. Here's the text now on the Archive page
      ( http://www.askdollie.com/archives.htm ):
      MP3s of all old episodes are here. You can manually download the ones
      you want (below), or download zipped files of 10-15 episodes at a
      time. Download time is approx 20-40 min per zipped archive, depending
      on your DSL speed. (Right-click to save on PC.)

      Zipped archives of MP3s of batches of old episodes:
      Zipped archive 1 (250 megs)
      Zipped archive 2 (300 megs)

      (Lower numbers indicate earlier archives, i.e. Archive 1 is episodes
      1-13, Archive 2 is episodes 14-30, etc.)