BitTorrent Collections

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2007
      Michael Dean was just talking in another thread about splitting off an
      "archive" RSS feed with old episodes, in order to keep the primary
      feed for the podcast clean and current. This is certainly one way to
      do things, and some podcasters have made it work. (A fan did it for
      my podcast; you can find it as "Escape Archive" in the iTunes
      directory.) One problem is that it can be confusing to promote two
      different feeds, and also confusing for listeners to keep them
      straight in their own podcatchers.

      Here's a different idea. Try bundling your old episodes into archive
      files and making them available for straight download. You could just
      put up a .zip file, if you have enough bandwidth. The answer I'm
      experimenting with right now is to make big archives available via
      BitTorrent.

      For instance, here are pages where you can download every episode of
      Escape Pod or Pseudopod through December 21 of last year:

      http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/577495/7135255/ (Escape Pod)
      http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/577184/5708204/ (Pseudopod)

      They haven't had huge traffic, but they're still getting picked up,
      and it didn't take long to do. My plan is to update and release new
      torrents once a month to keep current, making the old ones obsolete.

      BitTorrent has its own share of problems -- not everyone knows what it
      is or how to make it work -- but for those who can use it properly,
      it's a huge convenience. Just a thought for folks.

      http://www.escapepod.org