Neat way of dealing with long RSS

  • Michael W. Dean
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
      Submission and Coffee with Dollie Llama is up to 38 episodes, and the
      RSS was getting long.

      I copied the RSS file and renamed the new one
      "DollieArchiveRSS-first-30.xml" and took out the last 8 episodes. Then
      I took the main RSS file and deleted all but the last 8 episodes. I
      moved the MP3 links for the first 30 episodes off the main page,
      http://www.askdollie.com/indexPOD.htm

      and put an link on the main page to the archive page:
      http://www.askdollie.com/archives.htm and put the MP3 links for the
      first 30 episodes on that page.

      OK, standard stuff.

      What I did then was made a second RSS feed out of the first 30-episode
      RSS file, and made a link on the archive page for that. I put a notice
      that says, "MP3s of all old episodes are below. You can manually
      download the ones you want, or you can get the FIRST ARCHIVE RSS here,
      and subscribe, and automatically download the first 30 episodes. (You
      may have to temporaraly set your podcatcher program to "download all.")

      I like the idea of this...That way if someone discovers the cast now
      (or a year from now), and loves it, they don't have to manually
      download each episode.

      I deleted my subscription to our podcast from iTunes, and resubscribed
      to the updated main one (same old URL) and also subscribed to the new
      (archive) feed.

      Both of them validate on http://feedvalidator.org , and both of them
      do what I want them to in iTunes (old one downloads the new episodes,
      new one downloads the old episodes.)

      Thoughts? And anything you'd add on the site or in the feed to make
      this clearer to the user?

      MWD
    • Michael W. Dean
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
        Addendum...(I posted the first post before I'd finished my research).

        iTunes downloaded the list of episodes for each feed, but downloaded
        only the most recent episode in each feed.

        In iTunes under Edit/Preferences/Podcasts I have "Download All"
        checked under "When new episodes are available." (This is the default,
        right? I don't recall changing it, but that doesn't mean for sure that
        I didn't. I compute in my sleep sometimes.)

        What should I do (and tell people to do) in iTunes (and other
        podcatcher programs) to download all archived episodes automatically
        when they subscribe to the archive feed RSS file?
      • I Print Stickers
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
          I had a problem with my shows updating back in september. Big thanks
          to Rob W. for giving me some assistance.
          I figured out that if the xml file is over 79 or 80kb, itunes will no
          longer automatically update it. I deleted a bunch of old shows for a
          couple months and my numbers went significantly down, but the feed
          began updating properly again.
          There's always the rabid new subscribers that listen to the old
          shows, so I added the old shows, but I didnt take the time to add the
          correct info to all of the old shows. Using less characters keeps
          the file size smaller, so you can keep more shows in your feed if it
          gets too big.
          Since I've put the old shows back in the feed with less info, my
          numbers and bandwidth shot way up. According to my stats., many
          people were listening to the older shows since I've added them. I
          recommend keeping them all in the feed if you can, unless your show
          is the type of show that "expires".
          Jasper
          http://plannineprint.com

          > Submission and Coffee with Dollie Llama is up to 38 episodes, and the
          > RSS was getting long.
          >
          > I copied the RSS file and renamed the new one
          > "DollieArchiveRSS-first-30.xml" and took out the last 8 episodes. Then
          > I took the main RSS file and deleted all but the last 8 episodes. I
          > moved the MP3 links for the first 30 episodes off the main page,
          > http://www.askdollie.com/indexPOD.htm
          >
          > and put an link on the main page to the archive page:
          > http://www.askdollie.com/archives.htm and put the MP3 links for the
          > first 30 episodes on that page.
          >
          > OK, standard stuff.
          >
          > What I did then was made a second RSS feed out of the first 30-episode
          > RSS file, and made a link on the archive page for that. I put a notice
          > that says, "MP3s of all old episodes are below. You can manually
          > download the ones you want, or you can get the FIRST ARCHIVE RSS here,
          > and subscribe, and automatically download the first 30 episodes. (You
          > may have to temporaraly set your podcatcher program to "download
          > all.")
          >
          > I like the idea of this...That way if someone discovers the cast now
          > (or a year from now), and loves it, they don't have to manually
          > download each episode.
          >
          > I deleted my subscription to our podcast from iTunes, and resubscribed
          > to the updated main one (same old URL) and also subscribed to the new
          > (archive) feed.
          >
          > Both of them validate on http://feedvalidator.org , and both of them
          > do what I want them to in iTunes (old one downloads the new episodes,
          > new one downloads the old episodes.)
          >
          > Thoughts? And anything you'd add on the site or in the feed to make
          > this clearer to the user?
          >
          > MWD

        • Todd Cochrane
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
            I have always been pretty shocked when I see RSS entries with a 100 shows in
            them, to each his own but at some point a person has to work on their
            website brand and not count on RSS for everything.

            _____

            http://www.askdolli <http://www.askdollie.com/indexPOD.htm>

            http://www.askdolli <http://www.askdollie.com/archives.htm>

            Both of them validate on http://feedvalidato <http://feedvalidator.org>

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
              I've been hand coding my file for a while now and I'm beginning to do
              some "work" on xml code for others who are starting podcasts...
              I'd like to know if someone can help me understand the code a little
              better?

              Here's a piece from my feed:

              <title>P9 Episode 071 -- Side One Dummy Vs. Hell's Bells</title>
              <link>http://www.plannineprint.com/</link>
              <description><![CDATA[This Week, More Best of 2006 Suggestions,
              Selections From The Side One Dummy Records Sampler, Starlite
              Desperation Trivia, Everclear Tour, Art Alexakis on Adam Carolla..
              Jams by Starlite Desperation, The Casualties, The Figgs, VCR and
              More..Order Your Plan Nine Rock Show Merch NOW!! http://
              plannineprint.com/store.html..Shop at Amazon through http://
              plannineprint.com/podcast]]></description>
              <pubDate>Wed, 06 Dec 2006 23:40:00 GMT</pubDate>
              <category>Music</category>
              <enclosure url="http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://
              plannineprint.com/podcasts/p9episode_071.mp3" length="88955782"
              type="audio/mpeg"/>
              <guid isPermaLink="false">http://plannineprint.com/podcasts/
              p9episode_071.mp3</guid>
              <itunes:author>plannineprint.com</itunes:author>
              <itunes:subtitle>New Shirt Graphic!! HTTP://PLANNINEPRINT.COM/
              STORE.HTML ..The Best Album/Band of 2006?? Email your thoughts...
              email@... Hotline: 206-339-2664</itunes:subtitle>
              <itunes:summary>This Week, More Best of 2006 Suggestions, Selections
              From The Side One Dummy Records Sampler, Starlite Desperation
              Trivia, Everclear Tour, Art Alexakis on Adam Carolla.. Jams by
              Starlite Desperation, The Casualties, The Figgs, VCR and More..Order
              Your Plan Nine Rock Show Merch NOW!! http://plannineprint.com/
              store.html..Shop at Amazon through http://plannineprint.com/podcast</
              itunes:summary>
              <itunes:explicit>no</itunes:explicit>

              My questions:

              In the "description" line, is the... <![CDATA[ ... always necessary?

              In this line, <guid isPermaLink="false">http://plannineprint.com/
              podcasts/p9episode_071.mp3</guid> what is the proper info to put
              within the brackets?
              I've been using my file url, but before I hand coded, there was other
              info that my feed generator software was creating. The software
              didnt create valid feeds, that's why I switched to hand coding.

              Last question, should the info in the "description" line be the same
              as the info in the "itunes summary" line?

              Thanks in advance to all who reply.
              Write me off list if you prefer.
              Jasper from The Plan Nine Rock Show
              http://plannineprint.com
            • Michael W. Dean
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Cochrane" <geeknews@...> wrote:

                > I have always been pretty shocked when I see RSS entries with a 100
                shows in
                > them, to each his own but at some point a person has to work on their
                > website brand and not count on RSS for everything.

                ===
                Thank you for the input, Todd.

                But can you please clarify? I'm unclear if you are telling me, "Don't
                bother making two feeds" or suggesting, "Improve the HTML on your
                site" or simply saying, "It's good to shorten the RSS feed" or
                something else.

                Are you addressing my question of "Is there anything you'd add on the
                site or in the feed to make this clearer to the user?" or commenting
                in general that long feeds are not a good idea.

                Cheers,
                -MWD
              • Todd Cochrane
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
                  Let me just spell out a couple of concerns, when a RSS feed grows beyond
                  250K in size iTunes will not index it. If your show notes are short an RSS
                  feed can accommodate a lot of entries. Second point is server load. How many
                  times a day is your RSS feed getting indexed by aggregators and other
                  websites. The larger the file size the longer it will take to render and the
                  higher chance you will have of having the feed rendering timeout. My
                  personal thoughts on this are pretty well known but again this is only my
                  personal preference as you are likely to hear others personal preference be
                  100% opposite of mine.

                  I think it is good to have 1 dedicated RSS feed for your podcast and it
                  contain the number of past episodes that you would like a person who has
                  become a fan of your show to be able to download. In my case I have 90 days
                  worth of podcast in my feed that is roughly 24 shows. I have completed 229
                  the other 225 shows are not in any feed. I rarely have anyone download a
                  show that is more than 60 days old but my content is time sensitive your
                  content may stand the test of time.

                  I cannot see how a archive feed would hurt but I would not advertise it in a
                  prominent place on my website again that is my personal preference.

                  You will notice on my site I have a Blog feed and a Podcast feed that has
                  worked well for me as those that only want to subscribe to the Podcast Feed
                  can and then there are some that want both the podcast and blog entries
                  combined.

                  Todd..

                  _____

                  > I have always been pretty shocked when I see RSS entries with a 100
                  shows in
                  > them, to each his own but at some point a person has to work on their
                  > website brand and not count on RSS for everything.

                  ===
                  Thank you for the input, Todd.

                  But can you please clarify? I'm unclear if you are telling me, "Don't
                  bother making two feeds" or suggesting, "Improve the HTML on your
                  site" or simply saying, "It's good to shorten the RSS feed" or
                  something else.

                  Are you addressing my question of "Is there anything you'd add on the
                  site or in the feed to make this clearer to the user?" or commenting
                  in general that long feeds are not a good idea.

                  Cheers,
                  -MWD

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
                    I have been thinking on this topic for a long time. How do I present
                    an easy way for people to download some or all of the old shows while
                    keeping my feed small and bandwidth friendly. I thought of an "archive
                    feed" although I never thought to exclude the show notes for a smaller
                    feed. That just seems to defeat the purpose of having the main feed
                    then. I would hate to give them just a link to download the file, that
                    gets tiring quickly. I have ideas in my head, but are difficult to put
                    to paper and I surely don't have time to try and write up the program
                    to do it.

                    One thought I had the other day. While a blog is a great way to
                    publish a podcast, is it really the best way? I am beginning to think
                    not. Why? A blog is meant to publish new content. The old stuff is
                    there but it is treated as old and thus is "hidden". A person coming
                    onto the site can easily find the new stuff, but in the case of a show
                    like Security Now (for example), how do I go back and download every
                    show from the beginning? You go through the archives and manually
                    download them all (unless you are a l33t h4x0r and can automate it).
                    Now I would put what PodioBooks.com does to be close to the ideal, but
                    is really best for serialized content not the "standard podcast".

                    I must be writing too much code lately because I have been putting
                    myself in the shoes of the user. We need something to 1) Make it
                    easier for "Grandma" to find and listen to our old content and 2) Keep
                    the process simple so people would actually use it.

                    --
                    Mike Wills
                    Blog - http://mikewills.name

                    "Indicators are like Atomic Bombs. Handy to have but you should never
                    use them unless you have too." - Anonymous
                  • Michael W. Dean
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
                      Stephen, thanks for the great answers today.

                      By the way, do you (or anyone else on here) have an answer for the
                      part of my OP on this thread about what to tell people to set their
                      iTunes (or other podcatchers at) to download all episodes in the
                      archive with one click? I couldn't get iTunes to do it, even with the
                      default set at "download all".

                      Also, with regard to the issue of confusion about promoting two feeds,
                      I'm not really promoting the archive feed. It's tucked away on the
                      archive episode page, with an explanation of what it's for. I just
                      need more info (the answer to the question in the above paragraph) to
                      add to that explanation.

                      Thanks,
                      MWD
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                        On 1/5/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:

                        > By the way, do you (or anyone else on here) have an answer for the
                        > part of my OP on this thread about what to tell people to set their
                        > iTunes (or other podcatchers at) to download all episodes in the
                        > archive with one click? I couldn't get iTunes to do it, even with the
                        > default set at "download all".

                        When you first subscribe to a feed, it *always* gets only the latest
                        episode. This is proper behavior. In most cases, people subscribe
                        because they want to try something new. If they want older episodes,
                        they'll get them deliberately. If subscribing to a podcast meant
                        automatically bringing down dozens of hours of content, a lot of
                        people would think twice before subscribing to new things.

                        Todd's right about the purpose of an RSS feed. It's to alert people
                        to the presence of new content. Bringing everything you've done onto
                        someone's hard drive with one click is not the function of an RSS
                        feed. If it's important to you to offer that functionality, give them
                        a zip file or a torrent or something more appropriate to the purpose.

                        http://www.escapepod.org
                      • Michael W. Dean
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

                          > On 1/5/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > By the way, do you (or anyone else on here) have an answer for the
                          > > part of my OP on this thread about what to tell people to set their
                          > > iTunes (or other podcatchers at) to download all episodes in the
                          > > archive with one click? I couldn't get iTunes to do it, even with the
                          > > default set at "download all".
                          >
                          > When you first subscribe to a feed, it *always* gets only the latest
                          > episode. This is proper behavior. In most cases, people subscribe
                          > because they want to try something new. If they want older episodes,
                          > they'll get them deliberately. If subscribing to a podcast meant
                          > automatically bringing down dozens of hours of content, a lot of
                          > people would think twice before subscribing to new things.
                          >
                          > Todd's right about the purpose of an RSS feed. It's to alert people
                          > to the presence of new content. Bringing everything you've done onto
                          > someone's hard drive with one click is not the function of an RSS
                          > feed. If it's important to you to offer that functionality, give them
                          > a zip file or a torrent or something more appropriate to the purpose.
                          >

                          > --
                          > Have Fun,
                          > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
                          > http://www.escapepod.org

                          =======
                          Thank you (zipping and uploading now.)

                          MWD
                        • Michael W. Dean
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:
                            .... Todd's right about the purpose of an RSS feed. It's to alert people
                            > to the presence of new content. Bringing everything you've done onto
                            > someone's hard drive with one click is not the function of an RSS
                            > feed. If it's important to you to offer that functionality, give them
                            > a zip file or a torrent or something more appropriate to the purpose.
                            >

                            > --
                            > Have Fun,
                            > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
                            > http://www.escapepod.org

                            ======================
                            20 episodes is about 500 megs zipped. Do you think even a rabid fan
                            would actually download that (and would it be doable on a good
                            connection without errors?) or should I break it into two ten-episode
                            archives of around 250 megs each?
                          • George L Smyth
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                              Jasper -

                              Exactly. I get a large number of downloads from my old shows because of the
                              nature of my shows. If you've got a timely show (news, for instance) then it
                              doesn't make much sense to keep a lot of shows on your feed. However, if your
                              show is not timely (music, how-to's) then taking older shows off your feed
                              hurts your downloads.

                              Cheers -

                              george

                              --- I Print Stickers <alrighta@...> wrote:

                              > I had a problem with my shows updating back in september. Big thanks
                              > to Rob W. for giving me some assistance.
                              > I figured out that if the xml file is over 79 or 80kb, itunes will no
                              > longer automatically update it. I deleted a bunch of old shows for a
                              > couple months and my numbers went significantly down, but the feed
                              > began updating properly again.
                              > There's always the rabid new subscribers that listen to the old
                              > shows, so I added the old shows, but I didnt take the time to add the
                              > correct info to all of the old shows. Using less characters keeps
                              > the file size smaller, so you can keep more shows in your feed if it
                              > gets too big.
                              > Since I've put the old shows back in the feed with less info, my
                              > numbers and bandwidth shot way up. According to my stats., many
                              > people were listening to the older shows since I've added them. I
                              > recommend keeping them all in the feed if you can, unless your show
                              > is the type of show that "expires".
                              > Jasper

                              -------------------------------------

                              Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
                              DRiP Investing: http://DRiPInvesting.org - Blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/PrudentInvestor

                              Handmade Photographic Images: http://www.GLSmyth.com - Blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/GLSmyth
                            • George L Smyth
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                                --- "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
                                > 20 episodes is about 500 megs zipped. Do you think even a rabid fan
                                > would actually download that (and would it be doable on a good
                                > connection without errors?) or should I break it into two ten-episode
                                > archives of around 250 megs each?

                                It depends. I know that once I started listening to 7th Son, I spent quite a
                                bit of time downloading the whole deal.

                                I do have an answer for you that you may wish to consider - http://poddisc.com
                                <g> I have been thinking about this because I've got a year and a half of
                                great music I'd love to get out to people.

                                Cheers -

                                george

                                -------------------------------------

                                Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
                                DRiP Investing: http://DRiPInvesting.org - Blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/PrudentInvestor

                                Handmade Photographic Images: http://www.GLSmyth.com - Blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/GLSmyth
                              • Matthew Wayne Selznick
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                                  On 1/5/07, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:
                                  > I do have an answer for you that you may wish to consider - http://poddisc.com
                                  > <g> I have been thinking about this because I've got a year and a half of
                                  > great music I'd love to get out to people.

                                  Poddisc.com is a great option that Stephen's modestly not mentioned.
                                  I considered releasing the archives of my DIY Endeavors music podcast
                                  through poddisc, but the license most of that music is under is very
                                  much "non-commercial." It's a pickle.

                                  --
                                  Matthew Wayne Selznick
                                  Consultant, Podcaster, Author

                                  MWS Media
                                  Podcast consultation, web
                                  hosting, and writing services
                                  for DIY, independent creators
                                  http://www.mwsmedia.com

                                  Podiobooks.com
                                  The original source of audio
                                  books in podcast form.
                                  http://www.podiobooks.com

                                  Podcasts:
                                  The DIY Endeavors Podcast
                                  http://www.podmotel.com/diyendeavors
                                  Five Minute Memoir
                                  http://www.fiveminutememoir.com
                                  Sonitotum
                                  http://www.mattselznick.com

                                  Books:
                                  "Brave Men Run - A Novel of the
                                  Sovereign Era"
                                  http://www.bravemenrun.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                                    On 1/5/07, Matthew Wayne Selznick <mwselznick@...> wrote:

                                    > Poddisc.com is a great option that Stephen's modestly not mentioned.

                                    Actually, it's less modesty and more the fact that I haven't sat down
                                    yet to develop a proper info-and-guidelines page for podcasters. I'm
                                    hoping to get that up next week, and as time passes I'll be trying to
                                    refine some tools to make life easier on myself and other podcasters.

                                    One thing I've learned from the three podcasts we're currently listing
                                    is that the PodDisc model doesn't work equally well for every podcast.
                                    Only under particular circumstances are people willing to pay money
                                    for free content. I don't recommend that anyone make PodDisc the only
                                    option for access to podcast archives.

                                    http://www.escapepod.org
                                  • Michael W. Dean
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

                                      > On 1/5/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > By the way, do you (or anyone else on here) have an answer for the
                                      > > part of my OP on this thread about what to tell people to set their
                                      > > iTunes (or other podcatchers at) to download all episodes in the
                                      > > archive with one click? I couldn't get iTunes to do it, even with the
                                      > > default set at "download all".
                                      >
                                      > When you first subscribe to a feed, it *always* gets only the latest
                                      > episode. This is proper behavior. In most cases, people subscribe
                                      > because they want to try something new. If they want older episodes,
                                      > they'll get them deliberately. If subscribing to a podcast meant
                                      > automatically bringing down dozens of hours of content, a lot of
                                      > people would think twice before subscribing to new things.
                                      >
                                      > Todd's right about the purpose of an RSS feed. It's to alert people
                                      > to the presence of new content. Bringing everything you've done onto
                                      > someone's hard drive with one click is not the function of an RSS
                                      > feed. If it's important to you to offer that functionality, give them
                                      > a zip file or a torrent or something more appropriate to the purpose.
                                      >

                                      > --
                                      > Have Fun,
                                      > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
                                      > http://www.escapepod.org

                                      ===================
                                      OK. Now I get it. Thank you.
                                      I deleted the silly archive RSS link and made two huge zips of first
                                      30 episodes. Here's the text now on the Archive page
                                      ( http://www.askdollie.com/archives.htm ):
                                      MP3s of all old episodes are here. You can manually download the ones
                                      you want (below), or download zipped files of 10-15 episodes at a
                                      time. Download time is approx 20-40 min per zipped archive, depending
                                      on your DSL speed. (Right-click to save on PC.)

                                      Zipped archives of MP3s of batches of old episodes:
                                      Zipped archive 1 (250 megs)
                                      Zipped archive 2 (300 megs)

                                      (Lower numbers indicate earlier archives, i.e. Archive 1 is episodes
                                      1-13, Archive 2 is episodes 14-30, etc.)