Re: [podcasters] Overstock sale at BSW

  • matt1027
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2007
      At 03:38 PM 12/26/2006, you wrote:
      >I just bought an open-box BBE Sonic Maximizer (so I can see whether
      >Mennenga's right about how magical the thing is,

      So, how do you like it so far?

      >Meanwhile: anyone have any advice for cheap equipment racks?

      Have you found any great sources for these yet?

      Thanks,
      Matt
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2007
        On 1/3/07, matt1027 <box1027@...> wrote:
        > At 03:38 PM 12/26/2006, you wrote:
        > >I just bought an open-box BBE Sonic Maximizer (so I can see whether
        > >Mennenga's right about how magical the thing is,
        >
        > So, how do you like it so far?

        The effect is...subtle. At least in my good headphones. (It's
        actually intended to improve the sound more with crappy speakers.) We
        talk about it and I demo it in this week's Podholes, which will be
        posting on Friday.

        > >Meanwhile: anyone have any advice for cheap equipment racks?
        >
        > Have you found any great sources for these yet?

        Ebay. Found a deal with free shipping from these guys:

        http://myworld.ebay.com/cheapstudioracks/

        The rack came today, but I haven't had time to open the box yet so I
        won't vouch for quality. However, my basic requirement was just "Hold
        my gear up off the table" so I don't expect it to fail.

        I also picked up an ART power conditioner for about $80. My studio's
        in my basement, which a prior owner appears to have run electric
        wiring in by hand, so better power protection is probably a good
        thing.

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Michael Mennenga
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2007
          Stephen Eley wrote:

          > >> Meanwhile: anyone have any advice for cheap equipment racks?
          >
          > The rack came today, but I haven't had time to open the box yet so I
          > won't vouch for quality. However, my basic requirement was just "Hold
          > my gear up off the table" so I don't expect it to fail.

          Damn, I was going to talk about this on the show, but we ran out of time.

          One of the best racks you can build is simple and cheap, and it may be
          perfect for most podcasters since it sits on any flat surface without
          needing screws or mounts. (Plus it's any size you want it to be)

          Buy a 2 space rack shelf. (You can get one for BSW for $25)

          Then pick up a short pair of rack rail. (another $20)

          Mount the rail on the shelf and add your equipment. What is cool with
          this setup is that you have space underneath to put stuff. (CD's, mics,
          cables..... stuff)
          Also, it is as big as you need it to be. two space, five space....
          whatever. It stands up strait, (no leaning back) and it slides around
          on the table easy for positioning.

          Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

          --
          Michael R. Mennenga

          Director of Technical Operations
          Farpoint Media
          www.farpointmedia.net

          Host of Dragon Page, Slice of Scifi and Wingin' It!
          www.dragonpage.com
          www.sliceofscifi.com
          www.michaelandevo.com