Re: [podcasters] Re: Podcasting in Antarctica

  • honor
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
      Dear All,

      Firstly, a very big thank you very much to Tony Mechin
      for offering to make some CDs for those who missed the
      postal deadline for the radio station in Antarctica.

      Also, I have just now received some good news. A
      friend of our has told us that he is going down to
      Cape Town this Monday 8 January. He has very kindly
      offered to download some MP3s from the internet, burn
      a set of CDs and take them to the supply plane in Cape
      Town. So if you, or anyone you know, missed the
      postal deadline, there is another chance.

      He has requested that all files are sent via the
      online file delivery service YouSendIt
      <http://www.yousendit.com> before Sunday 7 January at
      1500 Central European Time (one hour ahead of GMT).

      Instructions:
      - Visit: http://www.yousendit.com
      - Register for a Free Account
      - Once registered, click on the 'Send File' option
      - step 1"recipient's email address' type:
      mx@...
      - step 2 'select a file" choose your file
      - step 3, click send it.

      I'm afraid I can not use You Send It on my slightly
      elderly Mac, and thus, I can't give you any more
      technical advice than this. Give it a go, and if it
      doesn't work, well we tried! :-)

      If this doesn't work, then upload the file you want to
      send to an FTP server, and send me a direct link ASAP
      (this will need to be before this Friday at 1000
      Central European Time).

      All the best

      Honor

      --- Tony Mechin <tony.mechin@...> wrote:

      > Hi there and happy ny 2 u all!
      >
      > I'll be sending some stuff from SWRadioAfrica, (not
      > the shona language
      > shows :-) so this might be an opportunity for those
      > podcasters who
      > just want to send along one or two shows.
      >
      > I'm based in Johannesburg, so the biggest problem is
      > the lack of
      > bandwidth to pull down the shows. I should be able
      > to make three or
      > four CDs.
      >
      > I've set up antarcticapodcast@... to receive
      > contributions.
      > (First 2 gigs wins :-)
      >
      > I'll make the discs on the 7th and ship them to Cape
      > Town by overnight
      > courier so they'll be there on the 9th.
      >
      > And I'll have a great collection...
      >
      > Hope that helps
      > tony
      >
      > > TRANSMIT YOUR MESSAGE IN ANTARCTICA
      >
      > > Do you have a song, a message, or a sound that you
      > > want broadcast in Antarctica?
      >
      > > We are looking for your music, sound art, radio
      > plays,
      > > radio documentaries, and any phonically
      > interesting
      > > artefacts you have to broadcast on Antarctica
      > first
      > > artist-run radio station. There is a supply plane
      > > leaving for Antarctica from Cape Town on 11
      > January.
      > > We plan to have a shipment of CDs sent on that
      > supply
      > > plane.

    • chris2x
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
        I have an episode about living in Antarctica but that seems a bit like carrying coals to
        NewCastle :-)

        Chris Christensen
        Amateur Traveler podcast
        http://AmateurTraveler.com