Re: Podcasting in Antarctica

  • thxdave
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
      Okay, we're in too. I'm putting a disk with about 20+ episodes of our
      "Stuck in the 80's" podcast into the mail tonight. Keep your fingers
      crossed that it makes it there in time.

      Dave Morrison
      Producer/Engineer
      Stuck in the 80s
      Ante Up! Pokercast
      www.tampabay.com

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, honor <honorharger2@...> wrote:

      <snip>

      > We are calling for pre-recorded radio programmes,
      > podcasts, music, and other audio content to be
      > broadcast on the station.
      >
      > Would any of you be interested in having any of your
      > archived podcasts aired in Antarctica?
      >
      > Any CD that gets to the below address in South Africa
      > before a supply plane leaves for Antarctica on 11
      > January will be broadcast in Antarctica. If you have
      > any music, sound art, audio interviews, magazine style
      > shows, etc that you would like broadcast in
      > Antarctica, perhaps you would like to send a cd?
      >
      > Let me know what you think.
      >
      > Very best wishes
      >
      > Honor Harger
      >
      > r a d i o q u a l i a
      > http://www.radio-astronomy.net
      > http://www.radioqualia.net
      > honor@...

      <snip>
    • honor
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
        Dear All,

        Firstly, a very big thank you very much to Tony Mechin
        for offering to make some CDs for those who missed the
        postal deadline for the radio station in Antarctica.

        Also, I have just now received some good news. A
        friend of our has told us that he is going down to
        Cape Town this Monday 8 January. He has very kindly
        offered to download some MP3s from the internet, burn
        a set of CDs and take them to the supply plane in Cape
        Town. So if you, or anyone you know, missed the
        postal deadline, there is another chance.

        He has requested that all files are sent via the
        online file delivery service YouSendIt
        <http://www.yousendit.com> before Sunday 7 January at
        1500 Central European Time (one hour ahead of GMT).

        Instructions:
        - Visit: http://www.yousendit.com
        - Register for a Free Account
        - Once registered, click on the 'Send File' option
        - step 1"recipient's email address' type:
        mx@...
        - step 2 'select a file" choose your file
        - step 3, click send it.

        I'm afraid I can not use You Send It on my slightly
        elderly Mac, and thus, I can't give you any more
        technical advice than this. Give it a go, and if it
        doesn't work, well we tried! :-)

        If this doesn't work, then upload the file you want to
        send to an FTP server, and send me a direct link ASAP
        (this will need to be before this Friday at 1000
        Central European Time).

        All the best

        Honor

        --- Tony Mechin <tony.mechin@...> wrote:

        > Hi there and happy ny 2 u all!
        >
        > I'll be sending some stuff from SWRadioAfrica, (not
        > the shona language
        > shows :-) so this might be an opportunity for those
        > podcasters who
        > just want to send along one or two shows.
        >
        > I'm based in Johannesburg, so the biggest problem is
        > the lack of
        > bandwidth to pull down the shows. I should be able
        > to make three or
        > four CDs.
        >
        > I've set up antarcticapodcast@... to receive
        > contributions.
        > (First 2 gigs wins :-)
        >
        > I'll make the discs on the 7th and ship them to Cape
        > Town by overnight
        > courier so they'll be there on the 9th.
        >
        > And I'll have a great collection...
        >
        > Hope that helps
        > tony
        >
        > > TRANSMIT YOUR MESSAGE IN ANTARCTICA
        >
        > > Do you have a song, a message, or a sound that you
        > > want broadcast in Antarctica?
        >
        > > We are looking for your music, sound art, radio
        > plays,
        > > radio documentaries, and any phonically
        > interesting
        > > artefacts you have to broadcast on Antarctica
        > first
        > > artist-run radio station. There is a supply plane
        > > leaving for Antarctica from Cape Town on 11
        > January.
        > > We plan to have a shipment of CDs sent on that
        > supply
        > > plane.

      • chris2x
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
          I have an episode about living in Antarctica but that seems a bit like carrying coals to
          NewCastle :-)

          Chris Christensen
          Amateur Traveler podcast
          http://AmateurTraveler.com