Re: [podcasters] Re: Podcasting in Antarctica

  • honor
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hi Michael,

      --- "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
      > I wonder though....Is this a one-time only thing? If
      > we miss the
      > deadline, is there ever going to be another
      > penguin-pulled sled to the
      > radio station, or is this the last one ever?

      Good point.

      We are not 100% sure when the next supply plane, or
      boat, will leave. Our team is already down in
      Antartica running the radio station.

      With the little bit of bandwidth they have they are
      updating an online diary at:
      http://www.i-tasc.org/
      (in the NOW section)

      I am coordinating the call for content from my base in
      Europe. Our friend Siphiwe Ngwenya is in Cape Town,
      and he has offered to gather the CDs and get them to
      the supply plane.

      Rest assured that Siphiwe will look after any CDs that
      arrive late. We will all do our best to put them on
      the next transport out, whenever that is.
      I hope that helps a little bit.

      Best

      Honor

      FURTHER INFORMATION

      For data on Polar Radio, contact: r a d i o q u a l i
      Email: adam at xs4all.nl or honor at va.com.au
      http://www.radioqualia.net

      For data on I-TASC, contact: Thomas Mulcaire or Marko
      Peljhan
      Email: tm at interpolar.org or mx at
      interpolar.org
      http://www.i-tasc.org/

    • Michael W. Dean
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, honor <honorharger2@...> wrote:

        > Hi Michael,
        >
        > --- "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
        > > I wonder though....Is this a one-time only thing? If
        > > we miss the
        > > deadline, is there ever going to be another
        > > penguin-pulled sled to the
        > > radio station, or is this the last one ever?
        >
        > Good point.
        >
        > We are not 100% sure when the next supply plane, or
        > boat, will leave. Our team is already down in
        > Antartica running the radio station.
        >
        > With the little bit of bandwidth they have they are
        > updating an online diary at:
        > http://www.i-tasc.org/
        > (in the NOW section)
        >
        > I am coordinating the call for content from my base in
        > Europe. Our friend Siphiwe Ngwenya is in Cape Town,
        > and he has offered to gather the CDs and get them to
        > the supply plane.
        >
        > Rest assured that Siphiwe will look after any CDs that
        > arrive late. We will all do our best to put them on
        > the next transport out, whenever that is.
        > I hope that helps a little bit.
        >
        > Best
        >
        > Honor

        ==================
        Cool man, thank you.
        We'll put something together.

        One more question, is there any reason to include stuff that has
        adult-explicit themes, or do men in remotely isolated areas not care
        to hear that stuff?

        MWD
      • Tee Morris
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
          On Jan 2, 2007, at 6:54 PM, Michael W. Dean wrote:

          > One more question, is there any reason to include stuff that has
          > adult-explicit themes, or do men in remotely isolated areas not care
          > to hear that stuff?

          I'd like to double-check that that as well. I mean, what are the
          plans if you get content that is R-rated? Will you be bleeping out F-
          bombs and the like?

          Enjoy the Ride,

          Tee Morris
          co-author, PODCASTING FOR DUMMIES
          ----------------------------

          The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy
          A podcast of strategies, ideas, and insights
          FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST WRITING PODCAST

          Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.teemorris.com/blog

          -~-~-~-~-~-~-~

          MOREVI: The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana
          An epic fantasy from Tee Morris & Lisa Lee
          FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST SPECULATIVE FICTION (LONG
          FORM) PODCAST

          Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.podiobooks.com
          PodioBooks.com -- Telling the World a Story, One Podcast at a Time
        • Tony Mechin
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
            Hi there and happy ny 2 u all!

            I'll be sending some stuff from SWRadioAfrica, (not the shona language
            shows :-) so this might be an opportunity for those podcasters who
            just want to send along one or two shows.

            I'm based in Johannesburg, so the biggest problem is the lack of
            bandwidth to pull down the shows. I should be able to make three or
            four CDs.

            I've set up antarcticapodcast@... to receive contributions.
            (First 2 gigs wins :-)

            I'll make the discs on the 7th and ship them to Cape Town by overnight
            courier so they'll be there on the 9th.

            And I'll have a great collection...

            Hope that helps
            tony

            > TRANSMIT YOUR MESSAGE IN ANTARCTICA

            > Do you have a song, a message, or a sound that you
            > want broadcast in Antarctica?

            > We are looking for your music, sound art, radio plays,
            > radio documentaries, and any phonically interesting
            > artefacts you have to broadcast on Antarctica first
            > artist-run radio station. There is a supply plane
            > leaving for Antarctica from Cape Town on 11 January.
            > We plan to have a shipment of CDs sent on that supply
            > plane.
          • thxdave
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
              Okay, we're in too. I'm putting a disk with about 20+ episodes of our
              "Stuck in the 80's" podcast into the mail tonight. Keep your fingers
              crossed that it makes it there in time.

              Dave Morrison
              Producer/Engineer
              Stuck in the 80s
              Ante Up! Pokercast
              www.tampabay.com

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, honor <honorharger2@...> wrote:

              <snip>

              > We are calling for pre-recorded radio programmes,
              > podcasts, music, and other audio content to be
              > broadcast on the station.
              >
              > Would any of you be interested in having any of your
              > archived podcasts aired in Antarctica?
              >
              > Any CD that gets to the below address in South Africa
              > before a supply plane leaves for Antarctica on 11
              > January will be broadcast in Antarctica. If you have
              > any music, sound art, audio interviews, magazine style
              > shows, etc that you would like broadcast in
              > Antarctica, perhaps you would like to send a cd?
              >
              > Let me know what you think.
              >
              > Very best wishes
              >
              > Honor Harger
              >
              > r a d i o q u a l i a
              > http://www.radio-astronomy.net
              > http://www.radioqualia.net
              > honor@...

              <snip>
            • honor
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                Dear All,

                Firstly, a very big thank you very much to Tony Mechin
                for offering to make some CDs for those who missed the
                postal deadline for the radio station in Antarctica.

                Also, I have just now received some good news. A
                friend of our has told us that he is going down to
                Cape Town this Monday 8 January. He has very kindly
                offered to download some MP3s from the internet, burn
                a set of CDs and take them to the supply plane in Cape
                Town. So if you, or anyone you know, missed the
                postal deadline, there is another chance.

                He has requested that all files are sent via the
                online file delivery service YouSendIt
                <http://www.yousendit.com> before Sunday 7 January at
                1500 Central European Time (one hour ahead of GMT).

                Instructions:
                - Visit: http://www.yousendit.com
                - Register for a Free Account
                - Once registered, click on the 'Send File' option
                - step 1"recipient's email address' type:
                mx@...
                - step 2 'select a file" choose your file
                - step 3, click send it.

                I'm afraid I can not use You Send It on my slightly
                elderly Mac, and thus, I can't give you any more
                technical advice than this. Give it a go, and if it
                doesn't work, well we tried! :-)

                If this doesn't work, then upload the file you want to
                send to an FTP server, and send me a direct link ASAP
                (this will need to be before this Friday at 1000
                Central European Time).

                All the best

                Honor

                --- Tony Mechin <tony.mechin@...> wrote:

                > Hi there and happy ny 2 u all!
                >
                > I'll be sending some stuff from SWRadioAfrica, (not
                > the shona language
                > shows :-) so this might be an opportunity for those
                > podcasters who
                > just want to send along one or two shows.
                >
                > I'm based in Johannesburg, so the biggest problem is
                > the lack of
                > bandwidth to pull down the shows. I should be able
                > to make three or
                > four CDs.
                >
                > I've set up antarcticapodcast@... to receive
                > contributions.
                > (First 2 gigs wins :-)
                >
                > I'll make the discs on the 7th and ship them to Cape
                > Town by overnight
                > courier so they'll be there on the 9th.
                >
                > And I'll have a great collection...
                >
                > Hope that helps
                > tony
                >
                > > TRANSMIT YOUR MESSAGE IN ANTARCTICA
                >
                > > Do you have a song, a message, or a sound that you
                > > want broadcast in Antarctica?
                >
                > > We are looking for your music, sound art, radio
                > plays,
                > > radio documentaries, and any phonically
                > interesting
                > > artefacts you have to broadcast on Antarctica
                > first
                > > artist-run radio station. There is a supply plane
                > > leaving for Antarctica from Cape Town on 11
                > January.
                > > We plan to have a shipment of CDs sent on that
                > supply
                > > plane.

              • chris2x
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                  I have an episode about living in Antarctica but that seems a bit like carrying coals to
                  NewCastle :-)

                  Chris Christensen
                  Amateur Traveler podcast
                  http://AmateurTraveler.com