Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [podcasters] Re: Podcasting in Antarctica

Expand Messages
  • Stephen Eley
    ... In case anyone s wondering... (*fires up postal program*) A 6 oz. letter-class delivery by international airmail from the U.S. to South Africa is $4.80.
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      On 1/2/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
      >
      > But an air mail to South Africa is not something that's 100%
      > guaranteed to get there in nine days, even if we shell out the bucks
      > to do it.

      In case anyone's wondering... (*fires up postal program*)

      A 6 oz. letter-class delivery by international airmail from the U.S.
      to South Africa is $4.80. The USPS lists typical delivery times as
      4-7 days. (Now that the Christmas rush is over that's probably
      accurate -- the CDs I sent in early December were getting to the UK
      and Australia in four days according to feedback. After December 12,
      they were lucky to arrive by Christmas Eve.)

      A small flat-rate Global Priority envelope to South Africa is $5.25.
      The USPS lists typical delivery times as 4-6 days. If you can't do
      flat rate, the costs are $8.50 for a half-pound package and $12.75 for
      a pound.

      Global Express knocks a day off the delivery time, and starts at $30.
      Don't even ask about Global Express Guaranteed.

      If I were just sending one or two CDs, I'd put 'em in paper envelopes
      or slimline cases and send it Global Priority Flat Rate, in the
      cardboard envelopes you can get for free from the post office. It's
      barely more expensive than airmail, and the best mix of price and
      speed.

      Even so, I'd definitely send it out tomorrow if you can. (You can't
      send it today; the post offices are closed in remembrance of Ford.)

      And personally, I'm not gonna fault the guy for asking for physical
      media. Even if bandwidth weren't an issue, getting inundated with a
      hundred messages to the effect of "Here's my Web site URL, just click
      around the links and download everything on it" doesn't sound like my
      kind of fun while packing for a trip to Antarctica. If this sounds
      cool to you, you shouldn't begrudge paying a few bucks.


      --
      Have Fun,
      Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
      ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Michael W. Dean
      ... ........And personally, I m not gonna fault the guy for asking for physical ... ================ True dat, Stephen. I wonder though....Is this a one-time
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:
        >
        > On 1/2/07, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
        > >
        ........And personally, I'm not gonna fault the guy for asking for
        physical
        > media. Even if bandwidth weren't an issue, getting inundated with a
        > hundred messages to the effect of "Here's my Web site URL, just click
        > around the links and download everything on it" doesn't sound like my
        > kind of fun while packing for a trip to Antarctica. ....
        > --
        > Have Fun,
        > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
        > ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
        > http://www.escapepod.org
        >
        ================
        True dat, Stephen.

        I wonder though....Is this a one-time only thing? If we miss the
        deadline, is there ever going to be another penguin-pulled sled to the
        radio station, or is this the last one ever?

        I sent someone a small air-mail package from Los Angeles to Australia
        around November first and it arrived around December first....That's
        what I'm concerned with.

        MWD
      • honor
        Hi Michael, ... Good point. We are not 100% sure when the next supply plane, or boat, will leave. Our team is already down in Antartica running the radio
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Michael,

          --- "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
          > I wonder though....Is this a one-time only thing? If
          > we miss the
          > deadline, is there ever going to be another
          > penguin-pulled sled to the
          > radio station, or is this the last one ever?

          Good point.

          We are not 100% sure when the next supply plane, or
          boat, will leave. Our team is already down in
          Antartica running the radio station.

          With the little bit of bandwidth they have they are
          updating an online diary at:
          http://www.i-tasc.org/
          (in the NOW section)

          I am coordinating the call for content from my base in
          Europe. Our friend Siphiwe Ngwenya is in Cape Town,
          and he has offered to gather the CDs and get them to
          the supply plane.

          Rest assured that Siphiwe will look after any CDs that
          arrive late. We will all do our best to put them on
          the next transport out, whenever that is.
          I hope that helps a little bit.

          Best

          Honor


          ..........................................................

          FURTHER INFORMATION

          For data on Polar Radio, contact: r a d i o q u a l i
          a
          Email: adam at xs4all.nl or honor at va.com.au
          http://www.radioqualia.net

          For data on I-TASC, contact: Thomas Mulcaire or Marko
          Peljhan
          Email: tm at interpolar.org or mx at
          interpolar.org
          http://www.i-tasc.org/


          >
          >


          Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
        • Michael W. Dean
          ... ================== Cool man, thank you. We ll put something together. One more question, is there any reason to include stuff that has adult-explicit
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, honor <honorharger2@...> wrote:
            >
            > Hi Michael,
            >
            > --- "Michael W. Dean" <kittyfeet70@...> wrote:
            > > I wonder though....Is this a one-time only thing? If
            > > we miss the
            > > deadline, is there ever going to be another
            > > penguin-pulled sled to the
            > > radio station, or is this the last one ever?
            >
            > Good point.
            >
            > We are not 100% sure when the next supply plane, or
            > boat, will leave. Our team is already down in
            > Antartica running the radio station.
            >
            > With the little bit of bandwidth they have they are
            > updating an online diary at:
            > http://www.i-tasc.org/
            > (in the NOW section)
            >
            > I am coordinating the call for content from my base in
            > Europe. Our friend Siphiwe Ngwenya is in Cape Town,
            > and he has offered to gather the CDs and get them to
            > the supply plane.
            >
            > Rest assured that Siphiwe will look after any CDs that
            > arrive late. We will all do our best to put them on
            > the next transport out, whenever that is.
            > I hope that helps a little bit.
            >
            > Best
            >
            > Honor
            >
            >
            ==================
            Cool man, thank you.
            We'll put something together.

            One more question, is there any reason to include stuff that has
            adult-explicit themes, or do men in remotely isolated areas not care
            to hear that stuff?

            MWD
          • Tee Morris
            ... I d like to double-check that that as well. I mean, what are the plans if you get content that is R-rated? Will you be bleeping out F- bombs and the
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              On Jan 2, 2007, at 6:54 PM, Michael W. Dean wrote:

              > One more question, is there any reason to include stuff that has
              > adult-explicit themes, or do men in remotely isolated areas not care
              > to hear that stuff?

              I'd like to double-check that that as well. I mean, what are the
              plans if you get content that is R-rated? Will you be bleeping out F-
              bombs and the like?


              Enjoy the Ride,

              Tee Morris
              co-author, PODCASTING FOR DUMMIES
              ----------------------------

              The Survival Guide to Writing Fantasy
              A podcast of strategies, ideas, and insights
              FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST WRITING PODCAST

              Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.teemorris.com/blog

              -~-~-~-~-~-~-~

              MOREVI: The Chronicles of Rafe & Askana
              An epic fantasy from Tee Morris & Lisa Lee
              FINALIST FOR THE 2006 PARSEC AWARD FOR BEST SPECULATIVE FICTION (LONG
              FORM) PODCAST

              Subscribe to this podcast at http://www.podiobooks.com
              PodioBooks.com -- Telling the World a Story, One Podcast at a Time
            • Tony Mechin
              Hi there and happy ny 2 u all! I ll be sending some stuff from SWRadioAfrica, (not the shona language shows :-) so this might be an opportunity for those
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi there and happy ny 2 u all!

                I'll be sending some stuff from SWRadioAfrica, (not the shona language
                shows :-) so this might be an opportunity for those podcasters who
                just want to send along one or two shows.

                I'm based in Johannesburg, so the biggest problem is the lack of
                bandwidth to pull down the shows. I should be able to make three or
                four CDs.

                I've set up antarcticapodcast@... to receive contributions.
                (First 2 gigs wins :-)

                I'll make the discs on the 7th and ship them to Cape Town by overnight
                courier so they'll be there on the 9th.

                And I'll have a great collection...

                Hope that helps
                tony

                > TRANSMIT YOUR MESSAGE IN ANTARCTICA

                > Do you have a song, a message, or a sound that you
                > want broadcast in Antarctica?

                > We are looking for your music, sound art, radio plays,
                > radio documentaries, and any phonically interesting
                > artefacts you have to broadcast on Antarctica first
                > artist-run radio station. There is a supply plane
                > leaving for Antarctica from Cape Town on 11 January.
                > We plan to have a shipment of CDs sent on that supply
                > plane.
              • thxdave
                Okay, we re in too. I m putting a disk with about 20+ episodes of our Stuck in the 80 s podcast into the mail tonight. Keep your fingers crossed that it
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  Okay, we're in too. I'm putting a disk with about 20+ episodes of our
                  "Stuck in the 80's" podcast into the mail tonight. Keep your fingers
                  crossed that it makes it there in time.

                  Dave Morrison
                  Producer/Engineer
                  Stuck in the 80s
                  Ante Up! Pokercast
                  www.tampabay.com


                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, honor <honorharger2@...> wrote:

                  <snip>

                  > We are calling for pre-recorded radio programmes,
                  > podcasts, music, and other audio content to be
                  > broadcast on the station.
                  >
                  > Would any of you be interested in having any of your
                  > archived podcasts aired in Antarctica?
                  >
                  > Any CD that gets to the below address in South Africa
                  > before a supply plane leaves for Antarctica on 11
                  > January will be broadcast in Antarctica. If you have
                  > any music, sound art, audio interviews, magazine style
                  > shows, etc that you would like broadcast in
                  > Antarctica, perhaps you would like to send a cd?
                  >
                  > Let me know what you think.
                  >
                  > Very best wishes
                  >
                  > Honor Harger
                  >
                  > r a d i o q u a l i a
                  > http://www.radio-astronomy.net
                  > http://www.radioqualia.net
                  > honor@...

                  <snip>
                • honor
                  Dear All, Firstly, a very big thank you very much to Tony Mechin for offering to make some CDs for those who missed the postal deadline for the radio station
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Dear All,

                    Firstly, a very big thank you very much to Tony Mechin
                    for offering to make some CDs for those who missed the
                    postal deadline for the radio station in Antarctica.


                    Also, I have just now received some good news. A
                    friend of our has told us that he is going down to
                    Cape Town this Monday 8 January. He has very kindly
                    offered to download some MP3s from the internet, burn
                    a set of CDs and take them to the supply plane in Cape
                    Town. So if you, or anyone you know, missed the
                    postal deadline, there is another chance.

                    He has requested that all files are sent via the
                    online file delivery service YouSendIt
                    <http://www.yousendit.com> before Sunday 7 January at
                    1500 Central European Time (one hour ahead of GMT).

                    Instructions:
                    - Visit: http://www.yousendit.com
                    - Register for a Free Account
                    - Once registered, click on the 'Send File' option
                    - step 1"recipient's email address' type:
                    mx@...
                    - step 2 'select a file" choose your file
                    - step 3, click send it.

                    I'm afraid I can not use You Send It on my slightly
                    elderly Mac, and thus, I can't give you any more
                    technical advice than this. Give it a go, and if it
                    doesn't work, well we tried! :-)

                    If this doesn't work, then upload the file you want to
                    send to an FTP server, and send me a direct link ASAP
                    (this will need to be before this Friday at 1000
                    Central European Time).

                    All the best

                    Honor


                    --- Tony Mechin <tony.mechin@...> wrote:

                    > Hi there and happy ny 2 u all!
                    >
                    > I'll be sending some stuff from SWRadioAfrica, (not
                    > the shona language
                    > shows :-) so this might be an opportunity for those
                    > podcasters who
                    > just want to send along one or two shows.
                    >
                    > I'm based in Johannesburg, so the biggest problem is
                    > the lack of
                    > bandwidth to pull down the shows. I should be able
                    > to make three or
                    > four CDs.
                    >
                    > I've set up antarcticapodcast@... to receive
                    > contributions.
                    > (First 2 gigs wins :-)
                    >
                    > I'll make the discs on the 7th and ship them to Cape
                    > Town by overnight
                    > courier so they'll be there on the 9th.
                    >
                    > And I'll have a great collection...
                    >
                    > Hope that helps
                    > tony
                    >
                    > > TRANSMIT YOUR MESSAGE IN ANTARCTICA
                    >
                    > > Do you have a song, a message, or a sound that you
                    > > want broadcast in Antarctica?
                    >
                    > > We are looking for your music, sound art, radio
                    > plays,
                    > > radio documentaries, and any phonically
                    > interesting
                    > > artefacts you have to broadcast on Antarctica
                    > first
                    > > artist-run radio station. There is a supply plane
                    > > leaving for Antarctica from Cape Town on 11
                    > January.
                    > > We plan to have a shipment of CDs sent on that
                    > supply
                    > > plane.
                    >


                    Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
                  • chris2x
                    I have an episode about living in Antarctica but that seems a bit like carrying coals to NewCastle :-) Chris Christensen Amateur Traveler podcast
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                    • 0 Attachment
                      I have an episode about living in Antarctica but that seems a bit like carrying coals to
                      NewCastle :-)

                      Chris Christensen
                      Amateur Traveler podcast
                      http://AmateurTraveler.com

                      > TRANSMIT YOUR MESSAGE IN ANTARCTICA

                      > Do you have a song, a message, or a sound that you
                      > want broadcast in Antarctica?

                      > We are looking for your music, sound art, radio plays,
                      > radio documentaries, and any phonically interesting
                      > artefacts you have to broadcast on Antarctica first
                      > artist-run radio station. There is a supply plane
                      > leaving for Antarctica from Cape Town on 11 January.
                      > We plan to have a shipment of CDs sent on that supply
                      > plane.
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.